Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flying, Earning, Lounge etc. on oneworld Connect Fiji Airways / FJ 2019 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
On 5 December 2018, Fiji Airways became the first “oneworld connect” airline, offering benefits to members of oneworld airlines’ frequent flyer programs.

Fiji Airways adds seven countries and territories – its Fiji home and the neighbouring South Pacific states of Kiribati, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu and Western Samoa - and nine destinations to the oneworld map.

BENEFITS flying one world Connect member Fiji Airways:

All oneworld FFP members will receive:

Customers with Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status in any one world member airline’s frequent flyer programme will be able to use Fiji Airways priority check-in desks, where available, and customers with Emerald or Sapphire oneworld status will be offered priority boarding.

Additional benefits are offered by Fiji Airways to FFP members of its oneworld sponsors airlines (American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific and Qantas). An AA AAdvantage member with oneworld Sapphire or Emerald status flying Fiji Airways will receive
  • Baggage through-checked to their final destination (i.e. flying AA SAN-LAX and FJ LAX-NAN-SYD)
  • Earning Elite Qualifying Miles, Dollars and Segments, earning and redeeming AAdvantage award miles
  • Lounge access when flying FJ (for AA Concierge Key, Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members regardless of class of service flown) (However, FJ flyers have no AA lounge access at this time. That may change.)

https://www.oneworld-connect.com/ Has some images that can be downloaded, including the (confusing) lounge table
https://www.oneworld-connect.com/wp-...lr-300x300.jpg
Chart c/o Business Traveller

Chart c/o The Points Guy

Note: Fiji Airways is still an AA partner (as well as a codeshare partner of AS, CX, EY, IE, NZ and QF), as well as a oneworld Connect member with AA as a Sponsor (which seems not to have significant impact, compared to CX, JL)..

AAdvantage members earn EQ instruments and award miles flying FJ as follows:

Flying as an AA marketed (“codeshare”) flight, as if flying AA here.

Flying FJ marketed and operated flight, as the FJ chart here on aa.com (NO EQ M, D or S flying FJ as FJ; if flown as AA codeshare, earns as AA.)

No EQ miles if flown as other oneworld (such as CX marketed / codeshares) as FJ is not a full oneworld member).

Flown as a Qantas marketed (“codeshare”) flight, one did until recently earn as here, as if flying AF, but the wording on AA has changed.

Related Resources:

Link to aa.com Fiji Airways earning page

Link to oneworld connect - “a new way for airlines to link up to the world’s premier airline alliance – enabling customers to enjoy more services and benefits across an even more extensive global network.” oneworld web site

Link to introducing oneworld connect - a new way for airlines to link to the world’s premier alliance - oneworld web site

Link to Fiji Airways to become first Oneworld Connect partner - Business Traveller

Link to “Fiji Airways Will Join Oneworld (With A Big Catch)” - One Mile At a Time

Link to There’s a New Airline in the Oneworld Alliance (Sort Of) - The Points Guy

Link to Oneworld connecting partner - FT oneworld forum

Link to Introducing oneworld connect - a new way for airlines to link to the world's premier alliance - Markets Insider

Link to Fiji Airways - new BAEC partner incl. earn/burn and status benefits (start date TBC) - FT British Airways | Executive Club forum

Link to “Fiji Airways becomes first-ever ‘oneworld connect’ member” - The Fiji Times

Link to Fiji Airways website oneworld Connect story.

More about Fiji Airways:

Air Pacific (46% Qantas owned, 51% Fiji government owned) rebranded as Fiji Airways (as of June 2013 - follow the topic and changes here: Air Pacific becoming Fiji Airways (again) & securing three A330-200s (2013) in the Other Asian, Australian and South Pacific Frequent Flyer Programs. In 2016, an A330-300 initiated service NAN-LAX, and in 2017 NAN-SFO.

New aircraft, configuration, new baggage limits etc. we’re established in 2016 are in this FT thread.

Business (née Tambua) Class in both (three) A330-200 and (one) -300: 24 Zodiac / Weber 7811 8 degree from horizontal angled lie-flats with A/C and USB, 15.4" screen with Panasonic eX2 AVOD in 2 x 2 x 2 configuration. (The SQ leased 747 offered 28 Tabua seats - not much of a loss here.)

Economy (née Pacific Voyager) Class: 249 (289 in-300) Weber 5751 slim-line with IFE, A/C and USB power in a 2 x 4 x 2 configuration with 31-32" pitch and 7.5" total recline (6" seat back movement, 1.5" seat base movement) and 9" Panasonic touchscreen AVOD with controls in the seatback (not armrest). (747 offered 430 with 32" in Pacific Voyager, a major seat capacity reduction.)

Starting your trip in Nadi in Business Class you will be able to access the new Fiji Airways Premier Lounge (but as FJ is not a full oneworld airline, status other than on oneworld Sponsor airlines AA, BA, CX, QF won’t get you in if you’re in Economy).

"Bula", pronounced mboo-lah, short for "ni sa bula", merely is the typical Fijian "hello" and "welcome"; it's not a class of service. Fiji Airways Premier Lounge is the name for their NAN lounge and VIP club; it is costly and bureaucratically challenging to join - but if you're flying FJ a lot, it offers an additional checked in bag, lounge access and other perqs.

See below for FJ fleet information.

Air Fiji resource links:

Link to Fiji Airways new website

Link to Fiji Airways route map

Link to Fiji Airways fleet information

Link to Fiji Airways baggage allowance tables

Link to rebranding article showcasing new appearance, symbology, etc.

Link A330-200 seat diagram (PDF document)

The USA saw Fiji Airways A330-300 flight to Los Angeles on January 2016. See Link to article with photos; link to page with information, photos and video (Australian Business Traveller). And FJ serves SFO on select days.

Linkto Airline Reporter illustrated article on the new Fiji Airways A330-200 product

OUR FLEET
Fiji Airways flights are available on modern Boeing and Airbus aircraft, ranging from the 122 seat 737-700 to the brand new A330-200 seating 273. Passengers will enjoy the comfort of our modern fleet of Boeing 737 aircraft, or one of the new Airbus A330-200 aircraft (and new A330-300).

Boeing 737-800 (three, adding 737 MAX 8s)
Total capacity: 164
Saleable configuration: 8 Business Class | 156 Economy Class
Business Class seating: 48" pitch, 18" recline, in-seat video with
6 video channels and 10 audio channels
Economy Class seating: 32" pitch, 6" recline. Drop down screens
every 3 rows, with main screen video and 10 audio channels.

Airbus A330-200 (three)
Total capacity: 273
Saleable configuration: 24 Business Class | 249 Economy Class
Business Class seating: 60" pitch, 8 degree angled lie flat bed, in-seat video with 15.4” monitors, in-seat power and entertainment on demand
Economy Class seating: 31-32" pitch, 7.5" recline, in-seat video with 10.6” monitors, in-seat USB power and entertainment on demand

Airbus A330-300 (one)
Total capacity: 313
Saleable configuration: 24 Business Class | 289 Economy Class
Business Class seating: 60" pitch, 8 degree angled lie flat bed, in-seat video with 15.4” monitors, in-seat power and entertainment on demand
Economy Class seating: 31-32" pitch, 7.5" recline, in-seat video with 10.6” monitors, in-seat USB power and entertainment on demand

De Havilland DHC-6 Twin Otters Fleet (Operated by Pacific Sun)
Total capacity: 12

ATR 42-500 Fleet (Operated by Pacific Sun)
Total capacity: 42

A350 XWB: Fiji Airways announced it will lease two new Airbus A350
XWB powered by Rolls-Royce Trent XWB engines by the end of 2019 to
serve US and Australia routes. (FJ’s current widebody fleet consists of six
Airbus A330s.)

The FJ A350-900 XWB will feature
33 fully lie flat Rockwell Collins B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Business Class beds, with full aisle access for every seat
301 Recaro CL3710 seats long-haul economy class seats in Economy
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

We’ve started a new thread on FJ and it’s new relationship with AA as a Sponsor airline for its one world Connect member status and meted a few related threads into this one.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 12, 2019 at 5:18 pm
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
HKG lounge Access OW Connect (Fiji Airways)

Hi there! I'm ExP and am planning to fly business class from HKG to NAN with Fiji Airways. As Fiji is a OW Connect member sponsored by AA, do I have access to CX lounges (The Pier, to be more specific)?

Any clarification is appreciated.

Cheers!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Depends on under which airline code are you booking. It is very confusing...
https://www.oneworld.com/oneworld-connect
[img]blob:https://www.flyertalk.com/e9ed4af0-fc5f-428c-b712-cf524ada0c81
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Confusing is an understatement

OW link--->https://www.oneworld-connect.com/
Click on "lounge access policy"

One of the OW forums has a good thread on OW connect. But sure which one. Maybe BA
BA forum thread--->Fiji Airways - new BAEC partner incl. earn/burn and status benefits (start date TBC)

The image link is post 2 above does not work for me

Edit
Are you flying an FJ flight number or other XX airline flight number (codeshare)?

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-...eaccess/HKG/-1
Down the bottom of that page click the link to --> https://www.oneworld.com/oneworld-co..._access_policy

Edit 2
https://www.fijiairways.com/en-us/ta...nd-conditions/ (down the page)
As a FJ business class passenger guess you have access to "HKG Club Bauhinia"
Link--->https://www.loungebuddy.com.au/HKG/h...l-1-WaM3cCNnOm
Link--->https://www.hongkongairlines.com/en_...ng/VIP_lounge#

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 29, 2019 at 5:03 pm
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by shd9
Depends on under which airline code are you booking. It is very confusing...
Fiji Airways itself, using AAdvantage miles.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by broland
Fiji Airways itself, using AAdvantage miles.
Fiji Airways became a oneworld Connect member Wednesday 5 December.

From today, customers with Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status in any oneworld® member airline’s frequent flyer programme can use priority check-in desks, where available, when flying in any cabin class on Fiji Airways, while customers with Emerald or Sapphire status in any oneworld member airline’s frequent flyer programme will also be offered priority boarding when flying on Fiji Airways.

BUT:

Additional oneworld connect customer benefits are being phased in between Fiji Airways and its four oneworld sponsors - American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific Airways and Qantas.

Most of these additional benefits are available from today between Fiji Airways and three of its sponsors – British Airways, Cathay Pacific and Qantas – although some elements will be phased in during the coming weeks. For details, see the table below.

1. Benefits are only available when travelling on flights that are both operated and marketed by Fiji Airways and its sponsors. Flights operated and marketed by Fiji Link are excluded....
So, while it appears no oneworld lounge access just yet, but to be expected toward the end of March. And, Fiji Airways should issue you an invitation to the lounge it uses in HKG. (No idea why AA is dragging its feet.)

Fiji Airways Business Class guests and Tabua Club members flying from Hong Kong will enjoy a new lounge from [1st October 2016]. Fiji Airways has selected the Hong Kong Airlines VIP Lounge - Club Bauhinia - located at Hong Kong International Airport’s Departure Terminal 1, near Gate 23, for its premium guests.
Mind you, some if this is not very clear. You may well be able to use Cathay Pacific or Qantas Lounges at HKG as well, because of the existing Connect relationship with those airlines. I’d give it a try, but not be surprised if a lounge agent looks atbthe AA derived status and bars access. Good luck, and if you can please let us know how it all goes.

Vinaka. (Thank you, in Fijian.)
Attached Images  
Old May 27, 2019, 7:14 am

EQM booking with Fiji Airways - PHL to SVU (or NAN)?

Looking to go to SVU (close to Nadi). Found RT PHL-NAN for $1300 on AA/Fiji Airways which gives a total of 1000 EQM for the entire trip! ARGH!

I read someplace if I book a trip on a partner airline, I get more EQMs because AA doesn’t use the fare, but the actual miles or some sort of arbitrary multiplier. I’m not sure if Fiji knows how to calculate EQMs, but I can call. This forum has been wonderful - can anyone help me figure out what I would get from Fiji for EQMs for the same itinerary? Fare is about the same if it matters.

And if I can ask a second question - I’d really love to go business, for cash, if there is any fare approaching reasonable, but I’m not finding anything under $6k on anyone where I get AA EQMs. Any ideas?

flight dates - outbound Nov 6, 2019 (can be a couple of days earlier) and return November 18 (can be a few days later) - flexibility in case it really matters for fare, doubt it does
TIA
Old May 27, 2019, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Distance EQMs are based on distance and fare class. Deep discount fares on CX, for example, earn zero EQMs.

This is the chart for Fiji
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/partner-airlines/fiji-airways.jsp

I'm still unclear how you get 1000. However the low Y fare buckets are only 35% of the distance flown as EQM.
Old May 27, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Antarius
I'm still unclear how you get 1000. However the low Y fare buckets are only 35% of the distance flown as EQM.
I interpreted the OP as saying that he/she found an AA codeshare for $1300, which would earn according to the AA chart and only net him/her around 1000 EQD.

It is true that booking on a partner results in mileage earn based on distance, but if the flights are booked as FJ, the EQD will be zero because FJ is not in oneWorld.

Last edited by jridge; May 27, 2019 at 8:10 am
Old May 27, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by erdoran
Looking to go to SVU (close to Nadi). Found RT PHL-NAN for $1300 on AA/Fiji Airways which gives a total of 1000 EQM for the entire trip! ARGH!
You may wish to clarify whether you are going to SVU (i.e. Savusavu, Vanua Levu) or SUV (i.e. Suva, Viti Levu). Both are in Fiji, but I would not describe Savusavu as "close to Nadi".
Old May 27, 2019, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jridge
I interpreted the OP as saying that he found an AA codeshare for $1300, which would earn according to the AA chart and only net him/her around 1000 EQD.

It is true that booking on a partner results in mileage earn based on distance, but if the flights are booked as FJ, the EQD will be zero because FJ is not in oneWorld.
see : https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/partner-airlines/fiji-airways.jsp

AA allows earning on FJ. Since they arent OW, you cannot fly FJ and credit it to S7, for example, but since AA and FJ are partners, you can.

maybe partner EQM doesnt show up on aa.com? Still, PHL-LAX is > 1000 EQM, even in basic economy.

Last edited by Antarius; May 27, 2019 at 8:42 am
Old May 27, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
see : https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/partner-airlines/fiji-airways.jsp

AA allows earning on FJ. Since they arent OW, you cannot fly FJ and credit it to S7, for example, but since AA and FJ are partners, you can.

maybe partner EQM doesnt show up on aa.com? Still, PHL-LAX is > 1000 EQM, even in basic economy.
Partner EQM does show up if you check the charts for oneworld partners (BA, Cathay Pacific, etc). AA typically doesn't give EQMs for non-oneworld partners unless booked as a AA codeshare.
​​​​
Old May 27, 2019, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Fiji Airways is a (and currently the only and in transition) oneworld Connect member.

oneworld: More member airlines: Royal Air Maroc to join in 2020 and Fiji Airways to be fully implemented as first oneworld connect partner next month (March 2019), increasing the alliance network to 1,100 destinations in 180 territories, with more oneworld connect partners to be signed.
Please read the AA partner page on earning and flying on FJ and AAdvantage status, because there are some distinct features to the relationship of FJ and the Connect sponsoring partners - AA, BA, CX, QF - coming to bear soon. Link. Note this page is likely to change soon as the AA - FJ Connect relationship solidifies - it’s already delayed from the expected activation date. This page may even be out of date. (Flying FJ marketed flights is currently shown as not earning EQ, just Award miles.)

Link to oneworld Connect page.

FJ does sell counter upgrades to Business Class if seats are available.

FJ has two A350s coming later this year with RC Super Diamond seats in Business.

Originally Posted by jridge
I interpreted the OP as saying that he/she found an AA codeshare for $1300, which would earn according to the AA chart and only net him/her around 1000 EQD.

see : https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ji-airways.jsp

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
Partner EQM does show up if you check the charts for oneworld partners (BA, Cathay Pacific, etc). AA typically doesn't give EQMs for non-oneworld partners unless booked as a AA codeshare.
​​​​

Last edited by JDiver; May 27, 2019 at 9:34 am
Old May 27, 2019, 11:10 am

Thanks all. I am going to Savusavu which is about a 1 hr flight from Nan. Yes, it was 1k EQM not EQD - I specifically asked for EQM (unless the Platinum rep had it confused, which I’m wondering if she did.). I thought though that the min EQD per segment is 500, so it would give me 2k EQM min, which isn’t great either. The fare class is O. I had called the platinum desk with the record locator number and had the rep look up the itinerary/fare class so there would be no mistake or misunderstanding. This was a booking made thru aa.com

FJ doesn’t show fare codes when booking, just names, but I’m guessing that since the price is the same, it would also be O so that means 50% of the miles flown. Now to debate whether to just use miles and go business that way...I need to keep my platinum so need all the EQM I can get, but am not going to waste $$ for minimal EQM.
Old May 27, 2019, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by erdoran
Thanks all. I am going to Savusavu which is about a 1 hr flight from Nan. Yes, it was 1k EQM not EQD - I specifically asked for EQM (unless the Platinum rep had it confused, which I’m wondering if she did.). I thought though that the min EQD per segment is 500, so it would give me 2k EQM min, which isn’t great either. The fare class is O. I had called the platinum desk with the record locator number and had the rep look up the itinerary/fare class so there would be no mistake or misunderstanding. This was a booking made thru aa.com

FJ doesn’t show fare codes when booking, just names, but I’m guessing that since the price is the same, it would also be O so that means 50% of the miles flown. Now to debate whether to just use miles and go business that way...I need to keep my platinum so need all the EQM I can get, but am not going to waste $$ for minimal EQM.
I'm confused. You bought the ticket online from AA, but are the flights AA or FJ flightnumbers? Do not assume that fare class is the same with codeshares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.