Oneworld connecting partner

Old Jun 3, 18, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: MSC (Miles Slut Club); Cunard- Diamond 300+; Princess- Elite 200+; RCCL- D Plus; QF LTG; CA P
Oneworld connecting partner

Announced with Fiji Airways as the first participant. More details to follow, and I wonder who is next? Maybe an unaligned Chinese carrier or JetStar?
Old Jun 3, 18, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oneworld news link

BA thread:= Fiji Airways - new BAEC partner incl. earn/burn and status benefits (start date TBC)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 3, 18 at 3:33 am
Old Jun 3, 18, 3:33 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
<snip>

Last edited by henry999; Jun 3, 18 at 6:26 am Reason: erroneous comment deleted
Old Jun 3, 18, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by henry999 View Post
> All oneworld connect partners will make their networks available via Global Explorer,
> the round-the-world fare offered by all oneworld members and select other airlines.
> Fiji Airways already does so.

Now they just need to tell the keepers of the planning tool (and good luck with that, ha-ha).
Global Explorer and OneWorld Explorer *ONE* are not the same.
Here on FT *ONE* is of more interest and has the (buggy) planning tool
https://www.oneworld.com/flights/round-the-world-fares
Old Jun 3, 18, 3:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; KLM Flying Blue Gold; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by chongcao View Post
Announced with Fiji Airways as the first participant. More details to follow, and I wonder who is next? Maybe an unaligned Chinese carrier or JetStar?
Aer Lingus could easily be the next if IAG cares.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 3, 18, 5:48 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Diamond, Marriot Gold
All the airlines participating in Global Explorer are possible additions

Global Explorer enables you to fly with selected airlines outside the oneworld® alliance, including Aer Lingus, Alaska Airlines and its affiliate Horizon Air, Bangkok Airways, Fiji Airways, Jetstar, Jetstar Asia, Jetstar Japan, Jetstar Pacific, Meridiana and WestJet; plus, Qantas code-share flights operated by Air Tahiti Nui.
On Air Italy (Meridiana) I think Qatar CEO said he wanted it to become a full member.

I'd also think Vueling and Level (both IAG owned) are likely additions.
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by moa999; Jun 3, 18 at 6:02 am
Old Jun 3, 18, 6:25 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Global Explorer and OneWorld Explorer *ONE* are not the same.
Right, of course. I didn't pay sufficient attention.
Old Jun 3, 18, 10:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G ELPL, KL P ELPL, was AB G, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D, SPG P
As stated elsewhere, e.g. in German language Aerotelegraph, only three recommeding airlines are necessary and benefits such as status miles or lounge access only apply to those.

I think this makes sense, since a common complaint of all alliances was that some hardly connected members doesn't make too much sense commercially. E.g. JAL joining was one of the reasons for EI to leave, because of significant adaptation cost and limited commercial benefits. I think this would even be worse in case of Fiji, which probably have QF, BA and ??? as a partner.
Old Jun 3, 18, 10:36 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by swiss_global View Post
As stated elsewhere, e.g. in German language Aerotelegraph, only three recommeding airlines are necessary and benefits such as status miles or lounge access only apply to those.

I think this makes sense, since a common complaint of all alliances was that some hardly connected members doesn't make too much sense commercially. E.g. JAL joining was one of the reasons for EI to leave, because of significant adaptation cost and limited commercial benefits. I think this would even be worse in case of Fiji, which probably have QF, BA and ??? as a partner.
QF, CX, and AA were partners and BA was the 4th.

Each oneworld connect partner will need to have a minimum of three oneworld members as its sponsors to be initiated into the programme. The initial oneworld sponsors of Fiji Airways will be all four of oneworld’s original founding members - American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific and Qantas. The Australian carrier will additionally mentor Fiji Airways through its oneworld connect implementation process.
Old Jun 3, 18, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G ELPL, KL P ELPL, was AB G, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D, SPG P
Originally Posted by skunker View Post
QF, CX, and AA were partners and BA was the 4th.
Thanks, skunker, much appreciated.

Apart from EI mentioned in my earlier post, I wonder if this could also open the door for Royal Air Moroc (AT), which has been rumoured for a while. Currently, they are a partner of QR and IB, so guess it should be possible to find a third supporter, e.g. BA. Yes another candidate for Connect is AirItaly (IG), sponsored by QR and possibly BA, IB or in this case also AY would make sense.
Old Jun 4, 18, 5:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by swiss_global View Post
Thanks, skunker, much appreciated.

Apart from EI mentioned in my earlier post, I wonder if this could also open the door for Royal Air Moroc (AT), which has been rumoured for a while. Currently, they are a partner of QR and IB, so guess it should be possible to find a third supporter, e.g. BA. Yes another candidate for Connect is AirItaly (IG), sponsored by QR and possibly BA, IB or in this case also AY would make sense.
Aer Lingus and Air Italy would be my next big bet, followed by someone to fill the china/india void.Then OW could be shaping up to be a very solid alliance. Furthermore if IAG buys Norwegian and combines them with Vueling they could have an LCC going after Ryanair.
Old Jun 5, 18, 8:24 am

Given IG's ambitions to be a prominent carrier in Italy and Europe (or rather QR' ambition), I think it would rather pursue a full membership in Oneworld rather than being a Connecting partner or affiliate member.

Meanwhile I think EI will be best suited to be Oneworld Connect partner given it (or IAG) seems unwilling to pursue a full membership due to high costs. EI being a Connect partner would be beneficial to its global outreach and of course Oneworld while procedures for a full membership will not be needed to be carried out.
Old Jun 6, 18, 2:59 am
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
I truly hope that if Air Lingus joins they become a full member and not a connecting partner.

Vueling could become a connecting partner, that would more or less formalize the codeshare structures and mileage earning opportunities they currently already have with Iberia. They would just need extra sponsors. BA, AA?
Old Jun 8, 18, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: MSC (Miles Slut Club); Cunard- Diamond 300+; Princess- Elite 200+; RCCL- D Plus; QF LTG; CA P
Originally Posted by Pasqualle7 View Post
Aer Lingus and Air Italy would be my next big bet, followed by someone to fill the china/india void.Then OW could be shaping up to be a very solid alliance. Furthermore if IAG buys Norwegian and combines them with Vueling they could have an LCC going after Ryanair.
yeah EI should be next. Also do not undermine Sichuan Airlines from China. A good chance been sponsored by BA, JL and UL. However, I can see airline like UL and RJ may wish to downgrade itself due to its size and financial situations.
Old Jun 10, 18, 2:44 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Diamond, Marriot Gold
Sichuan is 39% owned by China Southern and 10% by China Eastern, so would be more of a Skyteam candidate imho

Search this Thread