Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Using AAdvantage Award for Iberia Airlines flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 23, 2019, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Securing AAdvantsge Awards on Iberia:

Link to Iberia partner page on aa.com

NOTE: AAdvantage awards on Iberia incur "Carrier Imposed Fees", which though lower than BA also trigger a variety of taxes, and government and airport imposed fees. See post #295 for an example.

NOTE: AA has been experiencing difficulties booking awards on Iberia periodically since 2017.

Link to HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance (assistance booking MileSAAver awards)
Link to AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd) (extensive award rules parsing and links)
Help avoid YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British & IB / Iberia (consolidated)
AA Participating Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)
AA vs. IB comparison / which is better, etc.
Print Wikipost

Using AAdvantage Award for Iberia Airlines flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2022, 2:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Here's a strange scenario; would love any insight that anyone can provide. TL;DR - I seem to have just booked phantom award space on IB via AA miles.

I saw the space (1 seat available) on aa.com (this was IAD-MAD for next month). I checked expertflyer, which reported no availability. I confirmed on ba.com, no availability there either. But I called up AA and asked for it anyway, and the agent was able to book the award. I then eagerly waited to see if it ticketed and, after a brief wait, it did!

Anyone have a similar experience? Anyone have theories as to how this happens, or know if this phenomenon is limited to IB? Seems very strange that AA could grab the availability but BA (another Avios partner!) could not.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer
Here's a strange scenario; would love any insight that anyone can provide. TL;DR - I seem to have just booked phantom award space on IB via AA miles.

I saw the space (1 seat available) on aa.com (this was IAD-MAD for next month). I checked expertflyer, which reported no availability. I confirmed on ba.com, no availability there either. But I called up AA and asked for it anyway, and the agent was able to book the award. I then eagerly waited to see if it ticketed and, after a brief wait, it did!

Anyone have a similar experience? Anyone have theories as to how this happens, or know if this phenomenon is limited to IB? Seems very strange that AA could grab the availability but BA (another Avios partner!) could not.
Yes I have had part of this happen before as well-- specifically that EF was wrong.

With respect to BA/IB no... usually their availability is greater than AA's.

Usually the opposite happens... AA shows availability and then it turns out to be phantom availability.

Hey, guy/gal, it was your lucky day! Go out and buy a lottery ticket while the luck is coming your way! :-)
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 3:41 pm

AS temporarily disabled awards on IB due to some technical issue. Maybe the same issue caused a problem at EF and BA, but not AA.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Originally Posted by rrgg
AS temporarily disabled awards on IB due to some technical issue. Maybe the same issue caused a problem at EF and BA, but not AA.
Very interesting, great insight. EF has had OW award availability issues lately; maybe they're relying heavily on BA or even AS and aren't getting good data at the moment. And certainly agree with bostontraveler that usually it's AA that is showing phantom award space, rather than other BA omitting space that is, in fact, available.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 9:48 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Does Iberia allow US-Spain-Europe routings? I'm trying to find some award availability to Greece but the only options that are showing up are flights on AA or BA.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
Does Iberia allow US-Spain-Europe routings? I'm trying to find some award availability to Greece but the only options that are showing up are flights on AA or BA.
Yes, but like AY, you usually have to find availability segment by segment and then call to book (and even then there are sometimes weird restrictions on combining available saver segments).
Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I just booked a J award ORD-MAD-LIS as mentioned the complete itinerary did not show on AA.com but the segments showed when searching individually. Calling in agent was able to find the segments and complete the booking without issue.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Zainth
I just booked a J award ORD-MAD-LIS as mentioned the complete itinerary did not show on AA.com but the segments showed when searching individually. Calling in agent was able to find the segments and complete the booking without issue.
To prevent the possibility of one or both of the segments from disappearing before you are able to reach an agent, the safer practice is to use AA's multi-city award-booking engine to place both segments on a complimentary hold. The engine will mis-price the itinerary as two separate awards. Note the PNR, and then call AA, asking the agent to reprice the itinerary as a single award.
Zainth and LowValueCustomer like this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 7:07 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
Yes. Ive done (USA)-MAD-DBV awards a few times. IB is very seasonal on some routings - perhaps your chosen routing is one of them?
Old Mar 7, 2023, 8:38 pm

AA Award flight on Iberia from LHR-MAD Miles and Taxes Refund

I am wanting to book a backup flight out of LHR to MAD in case my Bristol UK flight is significantly delayed/cancelled. There are plenty of Iberia flights and a few British Airways flights that will get me there even if my Ryanair flight is canceled in Bristol. My question is - I looked at detailed fare rules on my booking and when choosing a BA flight it says this - BEFORE TRAVEL BEGINS - MILEAGE MAY BE REINSTATED WITHIN 1 YEAR FROM ORIGINAL TICKET ISSUANCE DATE IF MILES HAVE NOT EXPIRED - REINSTATEMENT CHARGES MAY APPLY. AFTER TRAVEL HAS BEGUN - MILEAGE MAY NOT BE REINSTATED.

But if I choose an Iberia flight, it says this - BEFORE TRAVEL BEGINS - MILEAGE MAY BE REINSTATED WITHIN 1 YEAR FROM ORIGINAL TICKET ISSUANCE DATE IF MILES HAVE NOT EXPIRED - USD 150.00 REINSTATEMENT CHARGE APPLIES. AFTER TRAVEL HAS BEGUN - MILEAGE MAY NOT BE REINSTATED.

Has anyone had to cancel a Iberia flight from a AA award and been charged the $150 reinstatement fee?
Old Mar 7, 2023, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Sounds like someone at AA just failed to update the language on IB awards. Here's the current award-refund policy on aa.com:

"Canceling flight awards and reinstating miles
If your plans change and you no longer wish to travel, you can cancel your trip anytime on aa.com. We’ll reinstate your miles and refund eligible taxes and fees up to 1 year after the ticket issue date, but you have to cancel your trip before the first flight departs. If you cancel your trip on aa.com, your miles will be reinstated and your refund will be requested automatically in most cases. There is no fee to reinstate your miles.

Find your trip

Contact Reservations for help reinstating miles on a trip that:

Has already started
Involves travel on partner airlines
Was booked outside the U.S. or on an international version of aa.com
Has been changed since the ticket was originally issued

Refunds of taxes and fees will be issued in full amounts, less:

Sale-imposed nonrefundable taxes
Taxes we must pay whether or not you travel"
Old Mar 8, 2023, 4:47 pm

Thank you for the response. That is what I thought, but I didn't want to make assumptions.
Old May 10, 2023, 4:11 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Iberia Canceled Flight Booked via AAdvantage - Rights?

Hey folks - booked a one way IAD-MAD on IB metal via AAdvantage miles on aa.com.

IB canceled the flight in its entirety 41 days out and there's no other flight that day or the day before (can't do the day after due to stuff being booked already) to switch to.

What are the options here? I'm not having much joy on the phone with AA, they're saying to cancel, redeposit & book another flight (which I absolutely do not want to do because its a 30k redeposit vs 110k reprice now).
Old May 10, 2023, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Ask to be routed on AA metal DCA-JFK-MAD. AA can open space for you there.
Old May 10, 2023, 5:28 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by Antarius
Ask to be routed on AA metal DCA-JFK-MAD. AA can open space for you there.
That's what I thought, AAgent was not being cooperative on any of my re-route suggestions. I'll HUCA.

Thanks Antarius
airb330 and Antarius like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.