Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Earning AA AAdvantage Miles on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2019, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning American Airlines AAvantage Miles Flying CX / Cathay Pacific Airways (consolidated)
Including known issues (e.g. upgrades) with AA / CX

Earning AAdvantage Miles flying Cathay Pacific Airways

NOTE: Travel on Cathay Pacific and its affiliate airline counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership. However, please refer to aa.com here for fare classes that earn AAdvantage miles, not Cathay Pacific.
  • Economy / coach fares other than Y, B or H on CX do not earn AAdvantage miles

• B and H only earn fractional (75%) credit on AA

• Upgrades may book into ineligible fare classes, causing challenges getting AA to credit the originally purchased fare class

• there are a few fare classes that CX says do not earn AAdvantage miles, whereas aa.com says they will, as do members reporting their experiences here

• JFK-YVR and YVR-JFK do accrue EQ and miles on eligible fares. JFK-YVR-HKG accrues as if nonstop JFK-HKG.

AAdvantage Elite members members traveling on Cathay also enjoy:
  • [*]
If you fly CX as an AA codeshare / marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Flying CX as CX, most discounted economy fare classes do not earn AAdvantage miles; See the chart. See Link to AAdvantage chart on earning miles and EQD flying CX.

Note: the CX website incorrectly indicates no AA miles for E fare; AA.com does and is correct

*Premium Economy fare W on a flight operated by Cathay Pacific will earn an additional 10% class of service bonus with the exception of W fares between Hong Kong and Bangkok, which will not earn a class of service bonus, and Premium Economy R or E, which earn no class of service bonus.
Upgrading to First on CX / Cathay Pacific Airways and U, Z Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business fare to First on Cathay Pacific Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z", a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy fare to Business puts it into U class, another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as miles-garnering (mid-June 2015).

Originally Posted by BosTravel
I had the same issue. I upgraded from Biz to F using Asia Miles, but left my AA number in the reservation.

The outbound flight credited automatically without intervention.

The inbound flight did not credit and I submitted the Missing Mileage Request. That request got denied due to ineligible fare class. All I did was call the ExecPlat desk and ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, who had record of the denied claim. I explained I paid for Biz, upgraded to F, and provided them with my original ticket number (both ticker numbers were on CX stock). Call took about 5 minutes and miles (and EQM/EQP) posted to the account the next day.
and

Originally Posted by gohima
I just wanted to post the conclusion to my saga, that started with the brilliant idea to upgrade two CX flights in February (yes, 4 months ago).

Well, I Fedex'd a letter to the executive's office, which arrived Friday. Today, I received an email from an "executive liason" who said they agreed that "R" to "U" via an upgrade should be mileage earning and manually adjusted my account to receive credit. Account and status now reflects those flights.

So despite certain aagents and lower-level SUPs saying this is CX's problem and to go pound sand, AA actually can do something about it (albit at a higher level than a regular SUP, I assume). By the phrasing of the answer, I would say this isn't a one time exception but rather what is supposed to happen for these flights.

Godspeed to any other souls on this journey.
Possible snail mail or FedEx to:

Suzanne Rubin
President – AAdvantage Loyalty Program, American Airlines
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155
Thanks to nkedel.

Wikipost as of 2018
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Earning AA AAdvantage Miles on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mark_T
Originally Posted by ijgordon
... you'll receive AAdvantage mileage credit only for the class of service on which your fare is based when you are ticketed...
So on that basis the OP is not going to get his miles as CX re-ticketed him into a non-qualifying fare type when he did the mileage upgrade ...
Uh, no, that's not how you'd interpret that. Key word - fare.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
Bingo, a winner in logic.
The upgraded ticket was re-ticketed into a ticket with a non mileage booking code.
So, by this "logic", when you get upgraded into X or C on AA, you're not eligible for mileage accrual?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by ijgordon
[B]On American Airlines and other AAdvantage airline participants, you'll receive AAdvantage mileage credit only for the class of service on which your fare is based when you are ticketed.
[/indent]
Originally Posted by Mark_T
So on that basis the OP is not going to get his miles as CX re-ticketed him into a non-qualifying fare type when he did the mileage upgrade ...
Originally Posted by jordyn
So, by this "logic", when you get upgraded into X or C on AA, you're not eligible for mileage accrual?
The reason AA has the language there is SPECIFICALLY to prevent someone from saying "you upgraded me to first, I should get the first bonus". You get the miles based on the original fare ticketed. NOT BASED ON ANY UPGRADE ACTIONS.

This is the AA interpretation of this policy for years- if CX is failing to properly interpret/execute this policy then that is AA's problem.

"American Airlines is the final authority on qualification for mileage credit"
Old Apr 11, 2015, 1:23 pm
formerly gohima

Ive been having on-going arguments with AA over this as well, which I have put on pause for the time being.

For background: I flew R (PE) -> U (BIZ). R being mileage earning, U being award business and not mileage earning.

I have talked to multiple aadvantage agents who all give me different answers, some even from supervisors. A few have said that it is because CX bases mileage on fare class flown, while AA (and others) use fare basis (which doesnt change) for mileage. Though they wouldnt admit it, I suspect that this is neither fact nor policy, rather speculation. It feels like the stupid leading the stupid, in that no one knows why this happens and then everyone just spews the same BS.

If someone has contact info for the people who actually know the policies and can force credit, please do share. It seems even sups are claiming ignorance on this issue.

Despite them being sympathetic on over 25k EQP being held hostage, no one offered much other than a sorry (hardly sympathetic IMO)
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I guess we can continue to debate this for a few more pages, but the best advice for the moment would seem to be, don't upgrade a CX ticket into a non-qualifying fare type if you hope to earn AAdvantage miles/points on it ...
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jordyn
I didn't say that. CX determines whether or not you get miles.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
The reason AA has the language there is SPECIFICALLY to prevent someone from saying "you upgraded me to first, I should get the first bonus". You get the miles based on the original fare ticketed. NOT BASED ON ANY UPGRADE ACTIONS.

This is the AA interpretation of this policy for years- if CX is failing to properly interpret/execute this policy then that is AA's problem.

"American Airlines is the final authority on qualification for mileage credit"
And, apparently they have made a decision.
If upgrading into a CX non earning fare class, you don't get it.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 2:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

And, apparently they have made a decision.
If upgrading into a CX non earning fare class, you don't get it.
it is AA's decision on whether to award miles et al or not
When a missing mileage request is submitted , it asks CX to confirm whether it was an eligibile fare
If CX says yes, AA will credit

Both sides are involved in the decision.

It would seem that when CX reissues the ticket , the new reissued ticket is now booked in an ineligible class and so CX declines to offer miles to AA

It seems a risk of playing 2 schemes at the same time ( given that CX cannot be upgraded with AA miles ) though am a bit surprised that CX is saying no to its eligibility

Perhaps crediting the points to Asia Miles might be successful rather than losing entirely
Old Apr 12, 2015, 1:04 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
From my own experience, when I used CX miles to upgrade my flights on CX metal and switched it to AAdvantage, it didn't post. It normally posts every Tuesday. I decided to see if it would post to my MPC account instead and it did. If there weren't any changes involved and the fare was eligible for AAdvantage miles, I would consider it.

I tried before when I was EXP and had an upgrade clear on LAX-JFK. I asked if I could switch it to MPC. They tried but then the system had issues because if they took out the EXP number and entered my CX number, the system wouldn't know where to pull the upgrade.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:47 am
formerly gohima

Originally Posted by gemini573
From my own experience, when I used CX miles to upgrade my flights on CX metal and switched it to AAdvantage, it didn't post. It normally posts every Tuesday. I decided to see if it would post to my MPC account instead and it did. If there weren't any changes involved and the fare was eligible for AAdvantage miles, I would consider it.
That is part of the issue with this for me. The upgraded seat is mileage earning in Asia Miles and MPC based on original ticket class booked, yet CX doesn't want to give them to aadvantage (and other programs too I assume). This to me makes me think that it is not actually CX's intent to not give the miles, but rather poor interpretation by the people on the ground who are denying the requests. Some aadvantage sups apparently seem to understand this and will force the miles to post but I have yet to find them.

Of course, given we are dealing with large corporations, there is not actually someone to talk to who has the authority to make the decision that makes sense.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which is why I think a succinctly worded note to the executive offices might be the best chance at some type of resolution.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:55 pm

I didn't say that. CX determines whether or not you get miles.
What? That's exactly what you said:

The upgraded ticket was re-ticketed into a ticket with a non mileage booking code.
C is a non-mileage booking code on AA. When you upgrade to business with miles or an EVIP, you are re-ticketed in C. Despite this fact, you earn miles on the original fare paid.

Similarly, you don't get mileage for travel on AAnytime rewards despite the fact that they book into F or J or Y.

In other words, there's a lot more going on than what "booking code" is used for your ticket, unlike your originally asserted "logic".
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; UA 1K
Can anyone confirm that an R fare purchased directly from CX will earn AA miles?
My concern is on the booking screen, CX's website mentions the ticket will not earn AAdvantage miles. However, AA's explanation is 100% EQM.

Ideally, I'd like to upgrade with AsiaMiles and credit to AA. Though, that seems like a bad idea based on this thread. Please keep us posted should anyone be successful in this endeavor.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by porsche534
Can anyone confirm that an R fare purchased directly from CX will earn AA miles?
My concern is on the booking screen, CX's website mentions the ticket will not earn AAdvantage miles. However, AA's explanation is 100% EQM.

Ideally, I'd like to upgrade with AsiaMiles and credit to AA. Though, that seems like a bad idea based on this thread. Please keep us posted should anyone be successful in this endeavor.

From http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...hayPacific.jsp

R is listed as earning mileage

Given the reissue once upgraded will put the booking into an ineligible class and the situation in this thread, be prepared that you may not receive mileage credit to AA should you choose to upgrade
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:37 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Got denied again. Told us the booking class is not eligible for mileage even when using the original ticket.

I am now wondering if there is an AA desk we can go to get this done because obviously the computers are too stupid to get our mileage.

Alternatively I have gotten printouts from CX indicating original booking classes and notes referencing upgrades… can we email AAdvantage desk and get it done manually? Because obviously them "sending a request" to CX is not working.

We are reaching the six month point soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.