Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Earning AA AAdvantage Miles on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2019, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning American Airlines AAvantage Miles Flying CX / Cathay Pacific Airways (consolidated)
Including known issues (e.g. upgrades) with AA / CX

Earning AAdvantage Miles flying Cathay Pacific Airways

NOTE: Travel on Cathay Pacific and its affiliate airline counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership. However, please refer to aa.com here for fare classes that earn AAdvantage miles, not Cathay Pacific.
  • Economy / coach fares other than Y, B or H on CX do not earn AAdvantage miles

• B and H only earn fractional (75%) credit on AA

• Upgrades may book into ineligible fare classes, causing challenges getting AA to credit the originally purchased fare class

• there are a few fare classes that CX says do not earn AAdvantage miles, whereas aa.com says they will, as do members reporting their experiences here

• JFK-YVR and YVR-JFK do accrue EQ and miles on eligible fares. JFK-YVR-HKG accrues as if nonstop JFK-HKG.

AAdvantage Elite members members traveling on Cathay also enjoy:
  • [*]
If you fly CX as an AA codeshare / marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Flying CX as CX, most discounted economy fare classes do not earn AAdvantage miles; See the chart. See Link to AAdvantage chart on earning miles and EQD flying CX.

Note: the CX website incorrectly indicates no AA miles for E fare; AA.com does and is correct

*Premium Economy fare W on a flight operated by Cathay Pacific will earn an additional 10% class of service bonus with the exception of W fares between Hong Kong and Bangkok, which will not earn a class of service bonus, and Premium Economy R or E, which earn no class of service bonus.
Upgrading to First on CX / Cathay Pacific Airways and U, Z Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business fare to First on Cathay Pacific Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z", a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy fare to Business puts it into U class, another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as miles-garnering (mid-June 2015).

Originally Posted by BosTravel
I had the same issue. I upgraded from Biz to F using Asia Miles, but left my AA number in the reservation.

The outbound flight credited automatically without intervention.

The inbound flight did not credit and I submitted the Missing Mileage Request. That request got denied due to ineligible fare class. All I did was call the ExecPlat desk and ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, who had record of the denied claim. I explained I paid for Biz, upgraded to F, and provided them with my original ticket number (both ticker numbers were on CX stock). Call took about 5 minutes and miles (and EQM/EQP) posted to the account the next day.
and

Originally Posted by gohima
I just wanted to post the conclusion to my saga, that started with the brilliant idea to upgrade two CX flights in February (yes, 4 months ago).

Well, I Fedex'd a letter to the executive's office, which arrived Friday. Today, I received an email from an "executive liason" who said they agreed that "R" to "U" via an upgrade should be mileage earning and manually adjusted my account to receive credit. Account and status now reflects those flights.

So despite certain aagents and lower-level SUPs saying this is CX's problem and to go pound sand, AA actually can do something about it (albit at a higher level than a regular SUP, I assume). By the phrasing of the answer, I would say this isn't a one time exception but rather what is supposed to happen for these flights.

Godspeed to any other souls on this journey.
Possible snail mail or FedEx to:

Suzanne Rubin
President – AAdvantage Loyalty Program, American Airlines
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155
Thanks to nkedel.

Wikipost as of 2018
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Earning AA AAdvantage Miles on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dwoolly
I am considering booking a flight that has a CX flight number. The flight is actually operated by Air China. Can I earn AAdvantage miles on this flight?
Would I just book it with Cathay Pacific and give them my AAdvantage number? I assume that the answer to both questions is yes, but just want some confirmation.
You will not earn miles if the flight is not operated by a OneWorld airline or affiliate even if it has a CX number. Also when you book flights operated and marketed by CX, be careful about the booking class as some earn very few if any miles.

Last edited by FAA1996; Apr 10, 2014 at 8:17 am
Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The answer to both questions is actually "no". It's good you are checking these things before being disappointed.

To earn AA miles on CX, you must purchase an H, B, Y or higher fare; you can not earn AA miles on most oneworld marketed flights operated by non-oneworld airlines.

(To be clearer, unpublished fares and K, M, L, V, Q, S, G or N Economy fares on CX earn NO AA miles; AA codeshares on CX earn as if you were flying AA.)
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:05 pm
KBW

Programs: AA LT PLAT
Does "E" fare in Premium Economy earn AA miles on CX marketed and operated flights? The AA website says yes. The CX website is murkier on the subject. Does anyone have recent experience with this?
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KBW
Does "E" fare in Premium Economy earn AA miles on CX marketed and operated flights? The AA website says yes. The CX website is murkier on the subject. Does anyone have recent experience with this?
If you are wanting to earn AA miles only the AAdvantage web site matters. What the flight would earn with the CX ffp is irrelevant.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:04 pm
KBW

Programs: AA LT PLAT
Thanks. Just got email from CX csr admitting that their website is in error when stating that "E" fares do not accrue AA miles.

Last edited by KBW; Jun 23, 2014 at 8:04 pm Reason: spelling
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: QF QP
Best to credit to MarcoPolo or AAdvantage for I class CX sectors? Thoughts appreciated.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by beresfordbear007
Best to credit to MarcoPolo or AAdvantage for I class CX sectors? Thoughts appreciated.
How could we suggest anything with the paucity of information?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:07 pm

AA Elite Status Bonus on CX Flights

I have an itinerary from AA with codeshare flights and one straight CX flight.

Meaning the AA logo and flight numbers are for some flights and the CX logo and flight number is for another.

Will I get the AA elite bonus 100% AAmiles for the CX segment?

I think this link shows yes:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/eliteStatus/bonus.jsp

Thanks.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
If the CX marketed and operated flights are in an eligible fare class then the answer is yes. A number of CX coach fare classes do not earn base miles (and therefore do not earn elite status miles). The AA marketed flights will earn as AA flights.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...hayPacific.jsp
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by zznoname
I have an itinerary from AA with codeshare flights and one straight CX flight.

Meaning the AA logo and flight numbers are for some flights and the CX logo and flight number is for another.

Will I get the AA elite bonus 100% AAmiles for the CX segment?

I think this link shows yes:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/eliteStatus/bonus.jsp

Thanks.
Afraid it's not quite that simple. There is a key sentence in the URL you referenced. It says, "As an AAdvantage elite-status member you earn elite status bonus miles on the base or guaranteed minimum miles for each eligible flight on select carriers as listed below" (emphasis added by me)

So, the question is, is your flight eligible? And the answer to that depends on the fare class you booked. If you booked discount economy the blunt answer is no, you wont

Here is the source:

Regards
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Afraid it's not quite that simple. There is a key sentence in the URL you referenced. It says, "As an AAdvantage elite-status member you earn elite status bonus miles on the base or guaranteed minimum miles for each eligible flight on select carriers as listed below" (emphasis added by me)

So, the question is, is your flight eligible? And the answer to that depends on the fare class you booked. If you booked discount economy the blunt answer is no, you wont

Here is the source:

Regards
Thank you for your concise answer. Basic question. A couple of AAgents took a while not finding the answer. Q = ZERO.
Third time a charm and re-booked to a later flight.

Darn.

Missed the connection at 30 minutes. Then 5.5 hours, so I'll have to hang around for 15 hours.

Darn.

Still wonder why some CX flights are not code shared.

Again. Thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Any current estimation of when CX flights post to AA? Took two F flight 12/30 and still no post. EQP from those flights will push me to EXP for 2015 so I'm rather anxious. AA website says it could take up to 30 days but I'm hoping for sooner. Thanks.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 16, 2015 at 12:50 pm Reason: Restore to clean post
Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by fmkgb
Any current estimation of when CX flights post to AA? Took two F flight 12/30 and still no post. EQP from those flights will push me to EXP for 2015 so I'm rather anxious. AA website says it could take up to 30 days but I'm hoping for sooner. Thanks.
About 7 - 10 days. Once for me it was 10 days, all others (in my cases if my memory is joggled properly) were around the next available Tuesday. Were those CX flights booked in H or higher, or as an AA codeshare?

Spock Seat @:-)
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Had Paid First Class Ticket RT LGA-DFW-ICN. On December 30 my return flight was canceled and AA changed my flights to Cathay ICN-HKG-JFK. As of now I have still not received the miles.

I called AA and spoke to customer service Wednesday and they resubmitted a request for proof that I was on the flight. After reading flyertalk I found a suggestion to go to www.refunds.aa.com and look at the receipt for my ticket # to verify that AA system shows that I did take that flight. Done - STATUS=USED. I then submitted an emailed request for the miles, sending them a screenshot that AA shows the flights were taken. They sent me a bunch of canned replies saying they'll look into it so today I called back AA CS supervisor to get a clearer explanation of why if the AA system shows that the flights were taken (I assume they received that info from Cathay) why have I not been credited with my miles. Spoke to 2 supervisors and both said they could see in AA system that the flight coupons were used. I was told by both that they need to get verification from Cathay that it was me who actually flew those flights so that Cathay can send AA the points to credit my account -- which will take up to 30 days from Wednesday -- not from the original flight date. HUH?? When Cathay approved my flights on Dec 30 didn't they know they had to give me miles? Why does AA need another approval and proof that I was actually in those seats? Who else would have been in them? I offered to email AA copies of my boarding passes but they say that will not help and there is nothing that they can do to get Cathay's approval and my miles quicker.

To further complicate, I was one of the "lucky ones" whose account was hacked and my flights were booked under my old AA FF#, i flew with the old FF #, and the second request was placed using my new ff #. Supervisor says this won't affect anything because request to Cathay was made using my name rather than my ff# but I find it hard to believe that this won't further complicate and delay a response.

Problem is that the points would push me into EXP for 2015 and I need the SWUs to book 2 upcoming international flights --plus I want my EXP benefits when I fly. Sounds like this may not be sorted out for another few weeks.

Any suggestion if there is anything else I can do besides "patiently" waiting??? Thanks.

PS Cathay first class was fabulous... but not worth this aftermath.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by fmkgb
Had Paid First Class Ticket RT LGA-DFW-ICN. On December 30 my return flight was canceled and AA changed my flights to Cathay ICN-HKG-JFK. As of now I have still not received the miles.
Have you tried asking for it treated as original routing credit for the AA flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.