Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Earning AA AAdvantage Miles on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2019, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning American Airlines AAvantage Miles Flying CX / Cathay Pacific Airways (consolidated)
Including known issues (e.g. upgrades) with AA / CX

Earning AAdvantage Miles flying Cathay Pacific Airways

NOTE: Travel on Cathay Pacific and its affiliate airline counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership. However, please refer to aa.com here for fare classes that earn AAdvantage miles, not Cathay Pacific.
  • Economy / coach fares other than Y, B or H on CX do not earn AAdvantage miles

• B and H only earn fractional (75%) credit on AA

• Upgrades may book into ineligible fare classes, causing challenges getting AA to credit the originally purchased fare class

• there are a few fare classes that CX says do not earn AAdvantage miles, whereas aa.com says they will, as do members reporting their experiences here

• JFK-YVR and YVR-JFK do accrue EQ and miles on eligible fares. JFK-YVR-HKG accrues as if nonstop JFK-HKG.

AAdvantage Elite members members traveling on Cathay also enjoy:
  • [*]
If you fly CX as an AA codeshare / marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Flying CX as CX, most discounted economy fare classes do not earn AAdvantage miles; See the chart. See Link to AAdvantage chart on earning miles and EQD flying CX.

Note: the CX website incorrectly indicates no AA miles for E fare; AA.com does and is correct

*Premium Economy fare W on a flight operated by Cathay Pacific will earn an additional 10% class of service bonus with the exception of W fares between Hong Kong and Bangkok, which will not earn a class of service bonus, and Premium Economy R or E, which earn no class of service bonus.
Upgrading to First on CX / Cathay Pacific Airways and U, Z Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business fare to First on Cathay Pacific Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z", a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy fare to Business puts it into U class, another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as miles-garnering (mid-June 2015).

Originally Posted by BosTravel
I had the same issue. I upgraded from Biz to F using Asia Miles, but left my AA number in the reservation.

The outbound flight credited automatically without intervention.

The inbound flight did not credit and I submitted the Missing Mileage Request. That request got denied due to ineligible fare class. All I did was call the ExecPlat desk and ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, who had record of the denied claim. I explained I paid for Biz, upgraded to F, and provided them with my original ticket number (both ticker numbers were on CX stock). Call took about 5 minutes and miles (and EQM/EQP) posted to the account the next day.
and

Originally Posted by gohima
I just wanted to post the conclusion to my saga, that started with the brilliant idea to upgrade two CX flights in February (yes, 4 months ago).

Well, I Fedex'd a letter to the executive's office, which arrived Friday. Today, I received an email from an "executive liason" who said they agreed that "R" to "U" via an upgrade should be mileage earning and manually adjusted my account to receive credit. Account and status now reflects those flights.

So despite certain aagents and lower-level SUPs saying this is CX's problem and to go pound sand, AA actually can do something about it (albit at a higher level than a regular SUP, I assume). By the phrasing of the answer, I would say this isn't a one time exception but rather what is supposed to happen for these flights.

Godspeed to any other souls on this journey.
Possible snail mail or FedEx to:

Suzanne Rubin
President – AAdvantage Loyalty Program, American Airlines
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155
Thanks to nkedel.

Wikipost as of 2018
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Earning AA AAdvantage Miles on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
<snipped>
Take a look at the statement closer. It says has to be booked in an eligible code. Unfortunately the upgrade award books into ineligible code. Not saying that's right but by definition the ticket would not be eligible for mileage.
Bingo, a winner in logic.
The upgraded ticket was re-ticketed into a ticket with a non mileage booking code. AA is not at fault here. CX determines which booking codes qualify, not AA

As noted, for the credit card argument, the person flew, the credit card charge is valid.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hillrider
Isn't the airline the fraudulent party here, since they're making untrue statements (that the ticket was an award) and withholding part of what was purchased (the credit of mileage)?

In any case, the two parties have a dispute as to whether what was delivered was the same as to what was purchased (or, according to the airline, the nature of what was purchased), which is exactly what the credit card dispute process is there for.

Kudos to ijgordon for using his/her right through the credit card company to not be abused!
Which airline is fraudulent? The contract is for transportation between points A and B in specific cabin. That was provided. And what's next? F tagged baggage not first to come out, call CC to dispute?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 4:47 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
We just want the credit where it's due, but I would never use the dispute method. Pretty sure it would be illegal, plus I'd lose all my future bookings and my CX MPO account.

That said AA says we need to wait up to 30 days more. I hope it doesn't come done to that long!

The issue with this is I'm now reluctant to upgrade my girlfriend's next long haul flight to F.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 5:35 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
So we got an email AA again... and guess what? DENIED AGAIN!

"We appreciate your recent request for mileage credit fro your travel on one or more AAdvantage airline participants. After reviewing your request, mileage credit for these flights has been denied by the airline."

So are they blaming CX for this? I'm going to head to the CX MPO desk in HKG and see if they can work it out, but last time they said they couldn't do anything since it was AA's program...
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by alphaod
So we got an email AA again... and guess what? DENIED AGAIN!
You have got to pick up the phone and speak to them. Emailing is a waste of time at this point. I suggest offering to send your purchase confirmation email from CX to AAdvantage Customer Service (not via the web form - they have email) as proof of purchase.

Last edited by 869; Apr 9, 2015 at 9:04 am
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by alphaod
So are they blaming CX for this? I'm going to head to the CX MPO desk in HKG and see if they can work it out, but last time they said they couldn't do anything since it was AA's program...
I think CX are your only route forward from here, but the real answer may well be that the flight was not eligible for the miles as AA maintain.

AA only see what CX tells them and unfortunately she flew with a fare type that does not earn miles so it really is up to CX to tell AA to issue the miles if they want you to have them. All AA can see is a flight that does not qualify under the published rules.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Maybe CX really does not intend to give miles for a paid J ticket upgraded to F with miles.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by card1953
Maybe CX really does not intend to give miles for a paid J ticket upgraded to F with miles.
Well, generally speaking, the terms of the AAdvantage program are that you earn miles based upon your purchased fare class. I'm not aware of any exceptions.

Maybe start gently "harassing" the higher-ups (e.g., head of AAdvantage), who will obviously delegate, but clearly you're not making any progress from the normal channels.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I like igordon's advice.

There is a way to do this in which you do not lie, and do not misrepresent facts. If you charge enough on a credit card company they will act as an advocate in ways that go beyond the moronic "it is only for fraudulent charges" mindset that seems to pervade the thinking of some. How much will X miles cost? Charge back that amount. Tell the card company what the dispute is, and why you are correct ("Purchased fare class was ABC; rules says XYZ; because of an upgrade they are confusing the traveled class with the purchaed class")

Dont lie to the CC company- they can be your advocate with much more leverage than you have...
Old Apr 10, 2015, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well, generally speaking, the terms of the AAdvantage program are that you earn miles based upon your purchased fare class. I'm not aware of any exceptions.
I agree, when we are talking about tickets within the AA side of the system.

What I can't find is anything definitive published about earning on partner airlines when you upgrade into a non-earning fare class using the partners own upgrade instruments.

I agree that I'd have expected it to follow the same principles, I just can't find anything that says it is so.

Similarly I'm not sure how much use there is is continuing to talk to AA when it is CX that needs to tell AA to apply the miles...
Old Apr 10, 2015, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Tell the card company what the dispute is, and why you are correct ("Purchased fare class was ABC; rules says XYZ; because of an upgrade they are confusing the traveled class with the purchaed class")
Which rule do you intend to point them at though?

I can't find anything published that says you will still earn miles on CX flights if you upgrade to an ineligible fare class from an eligible one?

Also, if I've understood this correctly, the ticket was purchased from CX but it is AA that is providing the AAdvantage program so CX may reasonably claim that your AA problem is nothing to do with them as they never promised to give you AA miles for the flight...

I still think the most likely resolution is going to come from CX though but this problem is in my opinion too subtle and unsupported by published rules for there to be any progress via an attempted charge-back.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 2:01 pm

Getting credit in AA's program for a CX flight is going to have to come from AA. What on earth is CX going to do for you? They don't have any control over AAdvantage. I will post some detail from my experience getting credit when I have some more time later today.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by 869
Getting credit in AA's program for a CX flight is going to have to come from AA. What on earth is CX going to do for you? They don't have any control over AAdvantage.
I could well be wrong, but I thought that with partner flights the trigger for the miles has to come from the partner?

Hence CX have to authorize AA to issue the miles.

If that doesn't happen you can request the missing miles from AA but in this case when they go look for the flight record they will just see the non-earning fare class so that isn't going to help.

As far as I can see, only CX are in a position to authorize the miles as they can see the the original purchased qualifying fare class, assuming they agree that the miles should be issued of course ...
Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mark_T
I agree, when we are talking about tickets within the AA side of the system.

What I can't find is anything definitive published about earning on partner airlines when you upgrade into a non-earning fare class using the partners own upgrade instruments.

I agree that I'd have expected it to follow the same principles, I just can't find anything that says it is so.

Similarly I'm not sure how much use there is is continuing to talk to AA when it is CX that needs to tell AA to apply the miles...
It seems pretty straightforward from the AAdvantage T&Cs:
AAdvantage flight mileage credit is determined on the basis of nonstop distances between the airports where your flight originates and terminates. On connecting flights with different flight numbers, you'll receive mileage credit for each segment of your trip; on single-plane, through, or change of gauge flights, you'll receive the nonstop origin-destination mileage credit and credit for a single elite qualifying segment. On American Airlines and other AAdvantage airline participants, you'll receive AAdvantage mileage credit only for the class of service on which your fare is based when you are ticketed. American Airlines is the final authority on the methodology used to calculate mileage and the amount of flight credit for a particular flight or routing. American Airlines is the final authority on qualification for mileage credit and reserves the right to deny or revoke mileage credit at any time if American Airlines determines that mileage credit was improperly given.
(Emphasis added).

And yes, the partner airline is the one buying the AAdvantage miles from AA to give to you as a reward for taking their flight. So if they don't pay AA, then AA won't want to give you the miles (notwithstanding the second part of the bolded section above...)
Old Apr 11, 2015, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
... you'll receive AAdvantage mileage credit only for the class of service on which your fare is based when you are ticketed...
So on that basis the OP is not going to get his miles as CX re-ticketed him into a non-qualifying fare type when he did the mileage upgrade ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.