Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA offers TOD “tens of dollars” First Class & Upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA offers TOD “tens of dollars” First Class & Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 5:03 pm

Just bought a $529 r/t SJC-DFW and was offered immediately to upgrade for $29 each way. NO brainer. Took it.
deeruck and festriaqua like this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
(No quote and can't delete this)
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by JMN57
Last week wife & I was flying PE from MXP to JFK. I checked in via the app and, yay, it finally worked. When I did check-in got an offer to upgrade to J for $500 per ticket. Not worth it for westbound TATL (mrs actually prefers PE so we can talk which is next to impossible in J). But if it was offered eastbound, might consider it.

But can anyone answer this question - does the buy-up to J also mean you get 2x EQM (it's treated like J fare) or only existing EQM (treated like upgrade)?
It appears post #241 , under Terms and Conditions number 6 might contain the answer you seek.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, Hilton, Avis, Hertz
Move to First Buy-up in Mobile App

I searched but haven't seen anything about this, apologies if I've missed it somewhere. The economy ticket was $268, with FC pricing at $500, so this is hardly a deal. I got excited about the option to not have to do buy-ups over the phone, until I realized the price difference. Any idea when this rolled out? I didn't move past the second screen.

Move to First offer on mobile app.

After selecting the offer.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I have seen offers before on my app. The problem was I was already sitting in F, so I guess the offer was to either help the FA's or the help fly the plane.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I'm curious if the price quoted is just for that specific flight...or all legs.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
It's over in this thread:AA offers TOD “tens of dollars” First Class & Upgrades
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:35 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I see the offers all the time, and it's usually "as low as", meaning it's priced per segment.

A few months ago, it was pricing an upgrade for an exPHL mid con trip on mainline at $1600 to upgrade my $600 restricted main cabin coach fare (i.e. total $2200). The thing is....if I went to aa.com to look what it would cost me to upfare, it was an additional $400. So... total $1000 versus $1600+$600 already paid.

Now I'm seeing offers more in line with what restricted first class was selling for just hours or a day before when I bought the coach ticket. If it's a 900+ mile flight on mainline, and the per segment cost is under $200, I usually do it for my return trip home after a busy week. Otherwise, I slum it in MCE aisle seat behind the First class bulkhead.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by deeruck
Thanks!
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I'm curious if the price quoted is just for that specific flight...or all legs.
All legs (2, 1 in and 1 out). I just called and paid the $232 fare difference. Now that this is in the right thread, I see that there seems to be a lot of variation in prices offered.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm seeing an offer for planned mid-April SFO>ORD>SFO flights to move to first class for $58.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SFflyer20
I'm seeing an offer for planned mid-April SFO>ORD>SFO flights to move to first class for $58.
What's the fare differential? That's how these are typically priced.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-DFW-PSP UPG offer via the App for $203 one way.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President, Hilton Diamond
Miami, $823 first class round trip ticket, but the App "upgrade" $1623 per leg. So $3200+ to upgrade. I'm not too worried about seats being bought up given that type of dynamic.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
LGA-DFW-PSP UPG offer via the App for $203 one way.
I know this post is several months old, but that number $203 struck me...

A colleague bought a ticket last week MCI-DFW-PDX for around $500rt in K class (economy). Throughout the week or so until flight departure, the AA website/ app offered him an upgrade on the outbound for exactly $203. In the end, I gave him a BXP1 upgrade for the longer segment, and he bought a kiosk TOD upgrade for $40 for the short MCI-DFW segment at check-in.

FWIW, the MCI-DFW left with empty seats in F, so that was a valid TOD opportunity. The DFW-PDX segment was full in F by T-24, and five people remained on the upgrade list at departure (nobody cleared).

Another data point in how upgrades are being managed in the current environment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.