Wiki Posts
Search

How to squeeze value out of AA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Use your miles for a dozen admirals club memberships and join the hipsters for avocado toast in the morning (which I haven't seen the last two times I've been in the AC in the morning)....
Or just get a single AC membership, pack a carry-on full of containers, find an AC that serves guacamole, and load up. If you need drinks too, throw in some hydro flasks and just order a bunch of comp stuff from the bar and pour them in.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by cmd320
Or just get a single AC membership, pack a carry-on full of containers, find an AC that serves guacamole, and load up. If you need drinks too, throw in some hydro flasks and just order a bunch of comp stuff from the bar and pour them in.
No need for the bar when Coke Freestyle fills the gap.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nk15
Show is over, we failed to stick it to AA this time, we are still stuck with 975k miles and some mediocre ideas and not even any guac.... Thanks for coming everybody, better luck next time, and y'all come back now, you hear?
Maybe not so fast.......BA just today introduced its new Club Suite J seats - Fabulous! So now, if you wait about five years until they retrofit their fleet, you can cash in those AA miles on a BA redemption. On second thought in five years, your 975K miles might only buy you a SAAVer Y seat to Fargo in the winter. Nevermind, take the guacamole.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA100k

Maybe not so fast.......BA just today introduced its new Club Suite J seats - Fabulous! So now, if you wait about five years until they retrofit their fleet, you can cash in those AA miles on a BA redemption. On second thought in five years, your 975K miles might only buy you a SAAVer Y seat to Fargo in the winter. Nevermind, take the guacamole.
Not to mention those fuel surcharges. Although, at least AA doesn't get that money.

I still think that Etihad apartments are the way to go. Route SFO-JFK-AUH-DEL/AMD/wherever.

Booking the award is a fun exercise too, if you're a bit of a masochist. Etihad has POS restrictions on its award space, so the really fun part is calling AA call centers all over the world, looking for a country that can see the space. I've spent a few evenings doing that! Honestly I think that that's the reason that the availability is so good -- most people can't figure out how to book the award ticket. But that's a different thread.
VXforever likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Show is over, we failed to stick it to AA this time, we are still stuck with 975k miles and some mediocre ideas and not even any guac.... Thanks for coming everybody, better luck next time, and y'all come back now, you hear?
(Bolding added,) On the contrary, there have been a number of excellent suggestions, including various charities where those miles can make a significant difference, as well as specific routes on which to seek premium cabin award space. I wouldn't call those "mediocre," but I suppose if someone has joined late and merely skimmed the last few posts, one could get the mistaken impression that nothing of value was suggested.

Originally Posted by cmd320
I don't recall seeing an AC that has guac out on the buffet where you can scoop the entire tub; I've seen guac stations where someone makes it fresh for you, one serving at a time.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Not to mention those fuel surcharges. Although, at least AA doesn't get that money.

I still think that Etihad apartments are the way to go. Route SFO-JFK-AUH-DEL/AMD/wherever.

Booking the award is a fun exercise too, if you're a bit of a masochist. Etihad has POS restrictions on its award space, so the really fun part is calling AA call centers all over the world, looking for a country that can see the space. I've spent a few evenings doing that! Honestly I think that that's the reason that the availability is so good -- most people can't figure out how to book the award ticket. But that's a different thread.

This is very helpful. Thanks @VegasGambler !
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
My understanding is that, because of the JBA, AA does share that revenue, which may be why AA charges it on awards involving BA metal.

Etihad has POS restrictions on its award space
When people have asked EF to implement PoS control on award searches (as they have on flight availability searches), citing EY as an example of where it's needed, EF says that EY does not have PoS restrictions, and that the reasons only some agents and some call centers during some hours are able to see EY space is not PoS but unspecified technical issues.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
+1

Try something like LAX-JFK-AUH-MLE/DEL/BOM. Arrive LAX late afternoon and spend 3-4 hours in First Dining, sample the entire menu and consume 2-3 bottles of Krug Grande Cuvée. Then red-eye to JFK and spend a few hours or all day in the JFK First Dining and another few bottles of Krug (OJ optional until lunch). Five bottles of Krug and a sample of the entire menu will set AA back at least $800. Then off to Etihad when AA has to pay hard cash for your First Class Apartment flight to AUH. No idea what they pay EY but maybe $800-$1,000. At 115,000 miles each way, you could wash, rinse, repeat 8 times and cost AA north of $10,000 and maybe as much as $15,000 if your liver can take all that Krug.
cmd320 likes this.

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 18, 2019 at 10:46 am
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by anabolism
(Bolding added,) On the contrary, there have been a number of excellent suggestions, including various charities where those miles can make a significant difference, as well as specific routes on which to seek premium cabin award space. I wouldn't call those "mediocre," but I suppose if someone has joined late and merely skimmed the last few posts, one could get the mistaken impression that nothing of value was suggested.
It was a humorous recap, "mediocre" supposedly from the OP's perspective and in relation to the stated goal, sticking it to AA, which cannot be accomplished. All the available/possible mile redemptions are ones that the airline has willingly offered and are by definition profitable and desirable redemptions for them.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
No idea what they pay EY but maybe $800-$1,000. At 115,000 miles each way, you could wash, rinse, repeat 8 times and cost AA north of $10,000.
This is what her miles worth now anyway, about $10k at a very minimum valuation of 1 cent/mile. If anything her miles would underperform with your plan and at this valuation. If we use the valuation suggested by the bloggers her miles are worth about $12-15k.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is what her miles worth now anyway, about $10k at a very minimum valuation of 1 cent/mile. If anything her miles would underperform with your plan and at this valuation. If we use the valuation suggested by the bloggers her miles are worth about $12-15k.
I wasn't talking about how much her miles are worth. Just AA's out of pocket cash hit.
As for what her miles are worth, you're looking at as much as 10 cents/mile value when redeeming for Etihad First plus another 1 cent/mile just for the Krug.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wasn't talking about how much her miles are worth. Just AA's out of pocket cash hit.
As for what her miles are worth, you're looking at as much as 10 cents/mile value when redeeming for Etihad First plus another 1 cent/mile just for the Krug.
Yea, I guess we are conflating what the miles worth from the AA and the passenger's perspective. Hard to tease out, because we don't know what it costs to the airline, we lack internal data info. Either way, the goal should be on maximizing value for one self, not the pipedream of sticking it to them.

Also, just an FYI for the OP, if you break any of their mileage use or other program rules, which could be even inadvertently, they may close your account and confiscate all the miles, which will be the worse and opposite outcome of your intent. If they are tracking this thread, just running a search on their database using your gender, location(s), and approximate age and number of miles in your account (info you provided on this thread alone) they will likely know who you are.

Last edited by nk15; Mar 18, 2019 at 11:38 am
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
+1

Try something like LAX-JFK-AUH-MLE/DEL/BOM. Arrive LAX late afternoon and spend 3-4 hours in First Dining, sample the entire menu and consume 2-3 bottles of Krug Grande Cuvée. Then red-eye to JFK and spend a few hours or all day in the JFK First Dining and another few bottles of Krug (OJ optional until lunch). Five bottles of Krug and a sample of the entire menu will set AA back at least $800. Then off to Etihad when AA has to pay hard cash for your First Class Apartment flight to AUH. No idea what they pay EY but maybe $800-$1,000. At 115,000 miles each way, you could wash, rinse, repeat 8 times and cost AA north of $10,000 and maybe as much as $15,000 if your liver can take all that Krug.
It would be easier to do this if you had multiple people participating.

I propose a variation: just do a round trip with buddies that just is on AA aircraft but hits up multiple FFD lounges (say LAX-JFK-MIA-JFK-LAX). Doesn't put a hit on AA for the EY redemption but if you had a few buddies, you could drink up/eat up more efficiently, and since AAnytime availability is last seat, AA can't sell those seats at full freight (or do a J->F upgrade).
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
All I can really say is, this is why we can't have nice things! :-(

I hate the premise of this thread, because if enough people did this, it would water down the AAdvantage program even more to the point where they might need to rename themselves DDisAAdvantage. :-(
chitink likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by donotblink
All I can really say is, this is why we can't have nice things! :-(
I hate the premise of this thread, because if enough people did this, it would water down the AAdvantage program even more to the point where they might need to rename themselves DDisAAdvantage. :-(
Why not just rename it FlightFund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.