Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to squeeze value out of AA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
How to squeeze value out of AA

I have a pile of points with AA - like 1,000k. I hate the direction theyve been going and really want to squeeze the value out of them - to the point of even scamming them. Any suggestions? I want American to take a loss.
pull4ud and Donald.Trump like this.

Last edited by VXforever; Mar 17, 2019 at 5:27 pm
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Well if you want to "scam" American Airlines (and I have no idea why, what did AA "personally" do to you?) you could sell them to a broker. That is of course against the rules. Your account could be locked. I'm not saying to do this and would advise against it. But if you feel some kind of "revenge" I guess this would be one way. Again, what any airline could do to ruin your life is beyond me.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Well if you want to "scam" American Airlines (and I have no idea why, what did AA "personally" do to you?) you could sell them to a broker. That is of course against the rules. Your account could be locked. I'm not saying to do this and would advise against it. But if you feel some kind of "revenge" I guess this would be one way. Again, what any airline could do to ruin your life is beyond me.
i was thinking more like outsized redemptions.

AA failed to give me a PDB 25 flights in a row in 2016 - that's when i called it quits and moved to DL and UA. Flew AA again like 1.5 years ago and they lost my bags. I've got points about to expire - whats the best way milk the value.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by VXforever

AA failed to give me a PDB 25 flights in a row in 2016 - that's when i called it quits and moved to DL and UA. Flew AA again like 1.5 years ago and they lost my bags. I've got points about to expire - whats the best way milk the value.
Redeem for F JFK-HKG on CX.
Spiff, deeruck, GTITAN and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat

Maybe you should redeem your points for some beverages, since they are obviously so important to you.
Redhead, CFM3RD, jcatman and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bchandler02
Maybe you should redeem your points for some beverages, since they are obviously so important to you.

not a good deal
Yoshi212, sam2k2002 and Icydubloon like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat

So let's see, AA failed to deliver a few beverages and lost a bag, so you want to commit fraud? Really? This kind of behavior is disgusting.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JSSAUCE
So let's see, AA failed to deliver a few beverages and lost a bag, so you want to commit fraud? Really? This kind of behavior is disgusting.
Never said I wanted to commit fraud or any other crime. Just want to maximize the value of the points in a way that has the biggest impact on their bottom line.

If you thought by "scam" i meant fraud, I did not. I meant it in the informal sense.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
If PDB is really the straw the broke the camel's back, then AA probably wasn't right for you. I'd say any partner F redemption (besides BA) would cause the most "cost" to them, but they are willing to take it, so I can't imagine they'll be that "scammed." With that amount of miles (and you'd have to get more for any redemption anyway), you're only talking a one way award as it is.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
There are lots of ways to keep miles alive. I recall people getting a mile through Itunes or such. You can also donate a small amount of miles (500-1000) to reset the clock.

I understand about getting value out of an airline. I had about 3 million miles in family accounts when NWA and DL merged, and I wasn’t going to blow them on overpriced DL flights. So I would only book low level coach/biz awards to squeeze the most value out.
GTITAN likes this.

Never said I wanted to commit fraud or any other crime. Just want to maximize the value of the points in a way that has the biggest impact on their bottom line.

If you thought by "scam" i meant fraud, I did not. I meant it in the informal sense.
Ok, I certainly do not want to portray you, or anyone, in a negative manner incorrectly. I retract the insinuation. It is well within your rights to redeem the miles within the rules of the program. JAL J and F are a good value for redemption vs product.
GTITAN likes this.
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
If PDB is really the straw the broke the camel's back, then AA probably wasn't right for you. I'd say any partner F redemption (besides BA) would cause the most "cost" to them, but they are willing to take it, so I can't imagine they'll be that "scammed." With that amount of miles (and you'd have to get more for any redemption anyway), you're only talking a one way award as it is.
No, it wasn't PDB in particular, but rather the grossly indifferent attitude to service that AA has relative to other large UC carriers - which lack of PDBs is manifested through.

Originally Posted by JSSAUCE
Ok, I certainly do not want to portray you, or anyone, in a negative manner incorrectly. I retract the insinuation. It is well within your rights to redeem the miles within the rules of the program. JAL J and F are a good value for redemption vs product.
Thanks, sorry for the confusion. Appreciate the pointers.

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
There are lots of ways to keep miles alive. I recall people getting a mile through Itunes or such. You can also donate a small amount of miles (500-1000) to reset the clock.

I understand about getting value out of an airline. I had about 3 million miles in family accounts when NWA and DL merged, and I wasn’t going to blow them on overpriced DL flights. So I would only book low level coach/biz awards to squeeze the most value out.
Do you really think its worth keeping the points alive? Serious question.

Last edited by JY1024; Mar 15, 2019 at 8:06 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:52 am

Also, AA's and Doug Parker's behavior is disgusting. They run a garbage airline.
I get it, I too have bad experiences with business and individuals. But personally, I move on, and do not utilize the product, business, end the relationship. I don't endlessly obsess, call people names like some do here. It's much more healthy. Everyone's free to do as they please, but if you don't like AA why fly them, why even think about them?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: HH Diamond
You could buy 15K miles during their latest sale, redeem 115K miles for a round trip J Class trip to Europe.

Then, you could have a great time in Europe. Then get on with your life.

Living well is the best revenge.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:56 am
Suspended

...I hate the direction theyve been going and really want to squeeze the value out of them - to the point of even scamming them.

We all did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.