Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to squeeze value out of AA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I would use the million miles on redemptions with partner One World Airlines, avoiding BA. And position on a domestic airline other than AA if necessary. I am constantly amazed at the number of posts here about AA loyalists not getting their PDB - I can’t remember a single flight when I haven’t been offered one since I came over in 2016 with the merger.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:37 am
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by JonNYC; Mar 15, 2019 at 11:44 am
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by jackvogt
Leave it to FlyerTalk for everyone to dissect everything an op says. Clearly he didn't mean he wanted to commit fraud but rather find a redemption or use of miles that would get the most value from AA. Jeez everyone lighten up a little bit. Now I will say if you think a PDB is so necessary you would quit an airline then I feel sorry for you and hope everyone can meet your ridiculous expectations.
I don't about others but I would equate the word "scam" with "fraud." Not I want to find a way to maximize the miles I have since I will never fly AA again. If I was teed off as the OP at AA I'd might think of selling the miles to a broker. It's very, very doubtful AA would prosecute me and if questioned by AA I'd give up the broker's information in a heartbeat. By then I'd have my money. But I can't think of anything an airline could do to me that I'd want to "scam" the airline. Not getting a PDB in F does suck and shouldn't be tolerated. I guess I could fly another airline but for me since I'm at a hub it's either fly DL and deal with ATL or schlep up to FLL for B6. I have an AC membership so at least I can get a complimentary "pre departure beverage" there.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Donate those miles and fly Delta. That'll show 'em.

Satisfaction not guaranteed.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by VXforever
No, it wasn't PDB in particular, but rather the grossly indifferent attitude to service that AA has relative to other large UC carriers - which lack of PDBs is manifested through.

Thanks, sorry for the confusion. Appreciate the pointers.

Do you really think its worth keeping the points alive? Serious question.
If your goal is to squeeze out the maximum value from your points so that you feel like you got in the last lick in your struggle with AA, then, yes, it's worth keeping them alive. That's really the only way you'll be able to max out your value--you'll have to wait until good deals come along. (And with AA, good redemption deals are once in a blue moon.)

But if your goal is to hurry up and be done with AA (and you want to get the best deal you can out of your miles), then others have given you good suggestions.

And as for all of the haughty, self-important scolds who so enjoy accusing others of imagined character flaws: the actual intent of your post (and of "scam") was completely clear. They're just being pedantic.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by econometrics
100K AAdvantage miles is far from a "pile" any more. Maybe 8 years ago it was.
OP didn't say "100k" he said "1,000k" aka 1mm miles. Also OP if you don't want to use the miles i'd be happy to help you out and fly on them for you
VXforever likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
As QueenofCoach would say, “Goodbye cruel airline”
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
It's ridiculous to expect an airline to follow their own policies and give you what you paid for?

Many people on this board have been trained to have REALLY low expectations. Imagine if you went to a fancy restaurant, were seated 2 hours after your reservation time, they didn't bring you the amuse-bouche because the waitress was too busy talking to the other waitresses, and when you asked about it the waitress threatened to have you kicked out of the restaurant and arrested. Would you go back to that restaurant?

This would not fly in ANY other business.
Great analogy
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kingstontoon
If you're looking for value, and you could position out of Europe, something like ARN-DOH-SYD-AKL-PPT for 85k in J with QR, QF and TN is pretty unbeatable in my book. Nearly 30 hours of J flying! Or, as I've just done, redeem from Asia to South Pacific in J using CX / JL / QF etc for 40k. Again, a cracking deal.
You sir (or madam) deserve a medal for brilliance in the field of FF usage. I have 1.5 MM Avios. I will have to contact you when I have time to use them.
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by hotturnip
If your goal is to squeeze out the maximum value from your points so that you feel like you got in the last lick in your struggle with AA, then, yes, it's worth keeping them alive. That's really the only way you'll be able to max out your value--you'll have to wait until good deals come along. (And with AA, good redemption deals are once in a blue moon.)

But if your goal is to hurry up and be done with AA (and you want to get the best deal you can out of your miles), then others have given you good suggestions.

And as for all of the haughty, self-important scolds who so enjoy accusing others of imagined character flaws: the actual intent of your post (and of "scam") was completely clear. They're just being pedantic.

Thanks. I can see how it may not have been clear to those who take words at their literal value, but glad you saw through my careless use of the word "Scam"
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Austin787
As QueenofCoach would say, “Goodbye cruel airline”
I dont understand
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
I’m surprised by the reactions here. Read the entire thread and things got nasty pretty quick when the poster just wanted some advice. A rational person would not assume the poster wanted to commit a crime, fraud in the legal sense being a crime punishable by imprisonments and or fines.

To @VXforever with those miles I’m sure you could get yourself J or F tickets around the world. Get creative and then donate whatever is left. If I had those points I’d plan some wicked fun trips to Asia and elsewhere sitting up front
SJOGuy and firemandan9 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Lol someone - who’s clearly a broker or an AA corp sec plant, approached me via PM wanting to
Buy the miles.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: Free agent
I thought you only had 100k

With 975k? Go everywhere. Take the F redemption advice for Etihad apartments.
enviroian likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:02 pm

Burn em all on JL F - great redemption rates and probably easier to find availability compared to Cathay since all of CX F is filled with those who bought error fare tickets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.