Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Premium Economy on Code Share with British Airways

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Booked premium economy for roundtrip JFK to LHR.
Outbound Flight was American Airlines but return from London was a code share with British Airways.
I selected seats in advance on American but British Airways would not allow seat selection without an extra fee even though it was premium economy price.

Even if I paid to select seats they wanted to put put me in regular economy cabin.
What is the benefit of paying for premium economy on a code share flight with British Airway if you can't select seats in advance and don't get a better seat?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Joes
Outbound Flight was American Airlines but return from London was a code share with British Airways.
I selected seats in advance on American but British Airways would not allow seat selection without an extra fee even though it was premium economy price.

Even if I paid to select seats they wanted to put put me in regular economy cabin.
What is the benefit of paying for premium economy on a code share flight with British Airway if you can't select seats in advance and don't get a better seat?
With BA you pay a seat selection fee unless you have mid-top level status. That includes for BA business class

The BA and/or AA forum get a new thread on the BA seat policy every week or so.

Master thread----> BA Seat Selection Issues for AA Flyers - charges, seating, award, etc.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:46 pm

This has to do with lack of status rather than the codeshare. It’s a BA specific policy.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Though none of these responses address the question of why, if the OP is willing to pay the fee, the system won't let them select PE seats.
trooper and Aliquot like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
This does not make sense. Can you elaborate please? if you booked premium economy you should have a choice of paid seating in that cabin (WTP on BA operated services). What does your ticket say for the BA-operated service?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Though none of these responses address the question of why, if the OP is willing to pay the fee, the system won't let them select PE seats.
Which implies they are not actually ticketed in PE
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Could this be a misunderstanding over the names of cabins?

Premium Economy on BA is called World Traveller Plus

(I see regular posts asking if 'Club World' on BA and 'Upper Class' on VS is really business class!)
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: AA PPro
BA is notorious for making you pay for seat selection, even though I booked a paid first class flight, I still had to pay for my connecting European business class seat selection.

But yes we will need some more info on what you mean that they won't let you select a PE seat? You should be able to go to BA's website and select a seat, what is the configuration of the seats you are looking at and on what aircraft?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald

If you booked Premium Economy round trip you will be in the Premium Economy cabin which is called World Traveller Plus on the BA flight.
I feel your frustration at having to pay for seat selection particularly as you were not aware of it. I suspect you would have just ensured you were on an AA operated flight for the return. Although AA and BA are in a joint venture for transatlantic flights they still have their own rules e.g. as a BA Silver/Sapphire member I can get access to AA Flagship lounges when AA members with higher Oneworld status cannot necessarily get access.

Last edited by IntVic; Mar 6, 2019 at 11:02 am Reason: grammar
Old Jul 8, 2023, 5:55 am

Same

Did you get resolution on this? I bought an award ticket through American in February 2023 and even though my ticket confirmation states I booked Premium Economy, British Airways sat me in Economy.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TLes
Did you get resolution on this? I bought an award ticket through American in February 2023 and even though my ticket confirmation states I booked Premium Economy, British Airways sat me in Economy.
That sounds hard to believe. Point to point? No connections? 40k miles each way?

If you are absolutely sure that you had a PE ticket, then you would be due compensation for the downgrade.

FWIW, you would never be allowed to book a codeshare using miles...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.