Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rumor: Project Oasis retrofitting reversal???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium

Seems some rumors are floating around that AA may reverse some of their project Oasis plans including the elimination of a row to increase pitch to 31 inches

credit to jonnyc https://twitter.com/xJonNYC

AA leadership needs to wake up and fire the genius who came up with oasis. Plane seats suck enough, didn’t need to make them worse

im praying for improvements of any kind

*edit adding a link to same topic from view from the wing. https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...312.1532881156
Dalo likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
I think it's important us frequent flyers voice our concerns. I've written in and complained and also responded to an email survey which prompted a call a few hours later to ask about my negative comments.
wrp96, Dalo and atbPy like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
fingers crossed
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by FAA1996
I think it's important us frequent flyers voice our concerns. I've written in and complained and also responded to an email survey which prompted a call a few hours later to ask about my negative comments.
i agree whole heartedly with you. It’s not going to be the guy who flies once a year that gets AA to reversed their horrible decision. It’s elites voicing their opinion at every opportunity
Dalo likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
I never understood this. There are other ways to make money besides cramming in an extra row of ghetto economy.
jrm68, A Lyford and Dalo like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
I have this mental image of AA executives gleefully devising ways to remove comfort from the planes.
jm62, Dalo and atbPy like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I don't see it happening. The flyers that AA is really concerned about are the ones not impacted. They are sitting up front, usually on a long haul in a flat bed seat. The guy/gal flying and spending enough to make GLD, PLT and PLT PRO is a dime a dozen. Not to mention they either have no choice in the airline they fly or are a hub captive. Moreover, its not like DL and UA are providing spacious room in the back. AA's philosophy is that if someone is uncomfortable in a 30-31 inch pinch seat they should pony up the additional $$ for MCE.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
I agree with this. If, however, the extra seats are causing boarding delays & adding to the stress of FAs I could see them giving in and reducing seat count by a row.
JonNYC and Dalo like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It's not that Americans find 30" coach seat pitch unacceptable - look at the growth rates of Spirit and Allegiant, or of all the United and Delta planes so configured. IMHO it's part of the value proposition: tight pitch, removing AVOD, and poor on-time performance and baggage handling is not a winning combo.
Dalo likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I don't see it happening. The flyers that AA is really concerned about are the ones not impacted. They are sitting up front, usually on a long haul in a flat bed seat. The guy/gal flying and spending enough to make GLD, PLT and PLT PRO is a dime a dozen. Not to mention they either have no choice in the airline they fly or are a hub captive. Moreover, its not like DL and UA are providing spacious room in the back. AA's philosophy is that if someone is uncomfortable in a 30-31 inch pinch seat they should pony up the additional $$ for MCE.
The customers sitting in the front of an Oasisfied plane are sitting in some of the worst FC seats in the sky. Trust me, AA is hearing lots of complaints from the people riding in front
steve64, JDiver, jerryss and 26 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Originally Posted by Catbert10
The customers sitting in the front of an Oasisfied plane are sitting in some of the worst FC seats in the sky. Trust me, AA is hearing lots of complaints from the people riding in front
I'm with Catbert10 on this. The problems with the Oasis interiors are definitely not isolated to the back of the planes (although I think the economy issues are worse as they feel like a safety issue to me, not just a comfort issue). I know I'm not the only F flyer actively booking away from AA if the only option is an Oasis cabin.
steve64, JDiver, JonNYC and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
I'm with Catbert10 on this. The problems with the Oasis interiors are definitely not isolated to the back of the planes (although I think the economy issues are worse as they feel like a safety issue to me, not just a comfort issue). I know I'm not the only F flyer actively booking away from AA if the only option is an Oasis cabin.
I'm one of them. It doesn't take a $10mm McKinsey report to realize you can't put your briefcase under the F seat in front of you.
Coathanger, Dalo and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by morrisunc
I'm one of them. It doesn't take a $10mm McKinsey report to realize you can't put your briefcase under the F seat in front of you.
That is really insane. I didn't realize the F seats on the oasis birds also sucked this bad. Is it true that LCC just took their new PEY seat (which is also inferior to comparable offerings such as CX) and installed it in domestic F? Makes me happy that 1) we fly a lot less than we used to and 2) have plenty of E75 flights to choose from.
no2chem likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by no1cub17
That is really insane. I didn't realize the F seats on the oasis birds also sucked this bad. Is it true that LCC just took their new PEY seat (which is also inferior to comparable offerings such as CX) and installed it in domestic F? Makes me happy that 1) we fly a lot less than we used to and 2) have plenty of E75 flights to choose from.
At this point I wish they just scrapped their boeings and airbuses (well, except 321T) and replaced them all with E75s. I mean, no hot food or power sucks, but way more comfortable

Actually, the E75s are a great example of how to do no IFE right. I don't mind that there's no IFE on the E75 because it's just a super comfortable plane to begin with.
C17PSGR, yankeezulu, wrp96 and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by Catbert10
They've also heard plenty from us who fly in MCE more often than in FC. The MCE seats on the Oasis birds are extremely tight. Obviously they have more pitch than "regular Y" on the same planebut they don't feel like an extra legroom seat. They feel like regular Y on a "normal" plane. I would certainly not be pleased if I paid $150 or whatever to sit there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.