Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Avoiding YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British (& Iberia - 2012-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Help with British Airways / BA and IB / Iberia Surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA or IB)

Please see here for the current thread.
Using AAdvantage miles for awards using British Airways / BA generally* incurs very high carrier imposed surcharges / fees (BA charges their own BAEC flyers these for Avios redemptions as well). AA awards on IB incur considerably lower fees (~$50 one way transatlantic is quoted by one member, the link to travelisfree.com below gives a BA flight with $458 YQ, IB $96). One FTer claims $700 BA YQ fees for SAN-PRG return, which is not unusual). You are likely to find lots of availability on BA using the aa.com award booking facility.

Intra-European awards using BA have significantly lower carrier imposed charges; some members may find using AA or other partner transatlantic connecting to BA may be acceptable.

NOTE: Paying YQ may trigger a host of other taxes and fees otherwise not charged on awards that do not include carrier imposed surcharges such as YQ. Flights within the Americas are YQ exempt.

As this is still flying on an award, these carrier imposed surcharges do not qualify for EQM or EQD earning.

Be sure to read the oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on thread wiki for information on searching for and finding alternative flights or those not shown on aa.com, which airlines' websites can find those, etc.

Read more about BA Carrier Imposed Surcharges fuel surcharges on AA awards here (rrgg supplied most of these below:

Fuel Surcharge for AA award redemptions on BA are up - again.

Partner airline awards now bookable on AA.com (AB, AS, AY, BA, HA, HG, QF, RJ, US)

Does AA push most of its European Awards to BA to collect fuel surcharges?

Charts from TravelIsFree for the three alliances and how you will pay (or avoid) YQ: http://travelisfree.com/2014/04/15/m...surcharges-yq/

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld and Other Airline ("All Partner") Award information, rules (2015 on)

Originating a flight in the UK incurs an Air Passenger Duty, reduced for seats with less than 40" seat pitch (except those originating from originating in BFS / Northern Ireland, Scottish Highlands (INV) or Islands, and connections less than 24 hours do not incur UK Air Passenger Duty, though they do incur airport Passenger Service Charges). Separate topic, dealt with:

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread); defines what the APD is in the wikipost.

Avoiding crazy UK "APD" taxes when transferring through LHR on separate tickets

*Note: BA now calls the YQ a "carrier imposed surcharge" after complaints about the so-called original "fuel surcharge" language. As of October 2017 BA seems to be calling the YQ an "
Insurance and Security Surcharge".
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Avoiding YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British (& Iberia - 2012-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Also to consider if needing to fly BA one way, the BA surcharges for Europe to USA are much lower than USA to Europe. Make sure to book as 2 separate one way journeys and the BA surcharges will be lower on EU-USA

(e.g. LHR-PHX business class surcharge is £144.50 (approx $205) vs $452.00 for PHX-LHR )
When booking award travel on the AA site --is it married segment friendly?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by enviroian
When booking award travel on the AA site --is it married segment friendly?
What do you mean?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:05 pm
Suspended

What do you mean?
Booking individual segments. On UA this is frowned upon and generally not allowed to be bookable by a UA rep. For example I would find availability to LHR the long way phx-iah, then iah-fra, then fra-lhr and then pick up the phone and have the agent book it. All three segments together would never come up on an award search, but separately they did.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
What do you mean?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...nt-issues.html

Occasionally, the desired award route may appear to be available individually segment by segment, but ghe airline requires an award to be available from origin through to destination and not by "married segments".
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Booking individual segments. On UA this is frowned upon and generally not allowed to be bookable by a UA rep. For example I would find availability to LHR the long way phx-iah, then iah-fra, then fra-lhr and then pick up the phone and have the agent book it. All three segments together would never come up on an award search, but separately they did.
The agents can search on sector basis quite happily , but if there is married sector availability issues , this would apply

e.g. phx-iah has availability on its own and iah-fra has availability on its own , but phx-fra via iah has no availability, the booking will fail on aa.com when it comes to payment

If it is just the case that you find availability on an early flight of the day for sector 1 and then a late flight for sector 2 but nothing on a later flight for sector 1, aa.com may not be too good at picking it up but an agent will have no issues booking it for you sector by sector
Old Mar 9, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by seawolf
If a booking fee is charged, it appears as a separate credit card transaction and is not part of the ticket carried-imposed charge.

The YQs I'm quoting are from aa.com and ba.com and is the carrier imposed charge.
Yes, I am aware that the booking fee is not generally included in the carrier imposed charges. The bottom line is that I am as confused as you are because DUS-LHR-JFK on BA, when booked as a revenue ticket on AA.com, has carrier charges of $209.80, but the exact same itinerary booked as an AAdvantage award has carrier charges of $249.80. I was only making the observation that the exact $40 differential is exactly the telephone ticketing fee that is supposedly waived for booking online. Just casual observation on my part--I am in no way really suggesting that AA is sneakily including charges in the carrier-imposed charges.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Yes, I am aware that the booking fee is not generally included in the carrier imposed charges. The bottom line is that I am as confused as you are because DUS-LHR-JFK on BA, when booked as a revenue ticket on AA.com, has carrier charges of $209.80, but the exact same itinerary booked as an AAdvantage award has carrier charges of $249.80. I was only making the observation that the exact $40 differential is exactly the telephone ticketing fee that is supposedly waived for booking online. Just casual observation on my part--I am in no way really suggesting that AA is sneakily including charges in the carrier-imposed charges.
cats are animals , dogs are animals ... therefore dogs are cats?

For DUS-JFK, the carrier imposed surcharges are $249.80 when booked as an award with AA. When booked directly with BA , it is US$210.50

This can be seen by doing a dummy booking for an award on aa.com and looking at the tax/carrier surcharge breakdown

This is not a booking fee
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:15 am

cats are animals , dogs are animals ... therefore dogs are cats?

For DUS-JFK, the carrier imposed surcharges are $249.80 when booked as an award with AA. When booked directly with BA , it is US$210.50

This can be seen by doing a dummy booking for an award on aa.com and looking at the tax/carrier surcharge breakdown

This is not a booking fee
I would say this is more like: I know what a cat looks like, I see something that looks like a cat. Is it a cat? Not necessarily, but it could be. Like I said, I am speculating.

And you actually miss my point. I am not comparing BA with AA. I am comparing the same itinerary on 3 Apr booked as a revenue ticket with AA vs booked as an award. The carrier-imposed charges are exactly $40 different.

Attached is a screenshot of the revenue ticket showing $210.50 in carrier charges. I would show the screenshot of the exact same itineray as an award and showing $250.50 in carrier charges, but it's too much work editing out all the personal info and you can look that up for yourself if you don't believe me.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 10, 2016, 5:00 am

I did look and I saw the difference - AA is ( iirc ) assessing a separate surcharge for the intra EU flight whilst BA just has a through surcharge when booked as a revenue ticket'

With the current exchange rates the difference isn't exactly $40 but is $39.10 , so doesn't actually match the booking fee cost anymore
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:45 am

I did look and I saw the difference - AA is ( iirc ) assessing a separate surcharge for the intra EU flight whilst BA just has a through surcharge when booked as a revenue ticket'

With the current exchange rates the difference isn't exactly $40 but is $39.10 , so doesn't actually match the booking fee cost anymore
With all due respect, you make absolutely no sense.

So AA is assessing a separate surcharge on AWARD tickets but not REVENUE tickets?

If you would read what I am actually saying, the point I am making is that there is a difference in the carrier charges (the amount almost is irrelevant) if I book the ticket as a revenue ticket on AA.com vs if I book it as an award.

And, I just checked for the third time, and the difference (as of 9:39am US eastern standard time on 3/10/2016) is exactly $40: $250.10 vs $210.50.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:41 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
From what I can see, the difference between YQ between Avios/Revenue vs AAdvantage only appears for DUS-LHR-North America but no difference if itinerary is just LHR-North America by itself.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
From what I can see, the difference between YQ between Avios/Revenue vs AAdvantage only appears for DUS-LHR-North America but no difference if itinerary is just LHR-North America by itself.
True. That does appear to be the case. LHR-JFK has the same carrier charges whether it's revenue or AAdvantage.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 11:53 am

With all due respect, you make absolutely no sense.
You may not like it , but it makes perfect sense AND is correct

AA's application of carrier surcharges is different on award flights with BA intra EU flights involved

BA no longer charges a surcharge on flights within EU, however AA still applies them in some cases

To show this
for 08/11/16 , try award business booking
MIA-LHR on AA56 - Carrier Surcharges = 0

Then for same day , award business booking
MIA-LHR-AMS on AA56/BA434 - Carrier Surcharges = $40

Then try paid business booking just LHR-AMS as a paid booking
Carrier Surcharges = 0

To prove that this is not a booking fee, do the same in economy class

This time the carrier surcharges for the award MIA-LHR-AMS will be $20 not $40

For DUS-LHR-JFK in economy class on BA/BA

Award ticket : Carrier-Imposed Fees $187.40
Paid ticket : YQ €111.00 ( approx $124.45 ) - approx $60 difference

For DUS-LHR-JFK in economy class on BA/AA

Award ticket: Carrier-Imposed Fees $32.00
Paid ticket : There is an AA surcharge (YR) of €111.00 ( approx $124.45 )

there is no BA surcharge

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 10, 2016 at 12:12 pm
Old Mar 12, 2016, 6:40 pm
Suspended

How does BA get away with this bs surcharge? It's borderline criminal. There's nothing remotely close to "reward" when a "free" ticket costs over $1000 in fees.

Look I'm not talking about taxes I get that. I used to fly J saver award on LH phx-den-fra-Lhr for 110K miles and about $300 in taxes. That's doable. This crap isn't.

Are Finnair awards available without this fee? Iberia flights? I guess that exhausts my one world (non AA as they aren't available) to LHR.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 6:53 pm

There is nothing close to being criminal in BA surcharging. The customer has the choice whether to book and pay it.

I don't like the surcharges, but nothing close to illegal in it.

For redemptions using AA miles
BA has the largest surcharges
IB has modest ones
other carriers have no surcharges

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.