Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Remarkably uncomfortable seats in F A321T 3-class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL

I flew in F on AA276 which is the 3-class SFO->JFK service. The lie flat seat was one of the most uncomfortable lie-flats I've had on any service. On the previous JFK->SFO route it was merely 'quite uncomfortable', but on the way back it was 'really uncomfortable'. Flight delay and resultant sleepiness on my part meant I didn't realise until I awoke in JFK this was the result of a gap halfway down the seat one inch on the left and 3 inches on the right. I pointed this out to the cabin crew so they could get it fixed in JFK (too late to complain really) and was told this was reasonably common (though the gap isn't normally that wide or asymmetrical) and that the seats are far more comfortable in J than in F. Anyone else had any experience of this? Is F on this service best avoided if you want to sleep? I must admit I slept better when I flew J last time.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by abligh
I flew in F on AA276 which is the 3-class SFO->JFK service. The lie flat seat was one of the most uncomfortable lie-flats I've had on any service. On the previous JFK->SFO route it was merely 'quite uncomfortable', but on the way back it was 'really uncomfortable'. Flight delay and resultant sleepiness on my part meant I didn't realise until I awoke in JFK this was the result of a gap halfway down the seat one inch on the left and 3 inches on the right. I pointed this out to the cabin crew so they could get it fixed in JFK (too late to complain really) and was told this was reasonably common (though the gap isn't normally that wide or asymmetrical) and that the seats are far more comfortable in J than in F. Anyone else had any experience of this? Is F on this service best avoided if you want to sleep? I must admit I slept better when I flew J last time.
this has happened to me once as well although I don’t feel like it’s happened in J in the 77W (which IIRC is the same seat). Another problem I come across with enough frequency that it’s annoying is the seat not really properly reclining to a lie flat position. Sometimes it stops a bit short. Sometimes it goes down but then back up and I have to try a few times to perfectly time when to let go so it doesn’t go back up too far. Every time this happens I wonder if it’s user error but I don’t understand what I could be doing wrong because I’m just holding down the lie flat button until it stops.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
77W J, A321T F, Cathay Pacific longhaul J = Sicma "Cirrus" Business Suite
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
While that has not occurred to me yet, I do find sometimes that the J seat on the A321T allows me to sleep better. I am very tall and the F seat sometimes feels like my legs are constricted in a tight space.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by truthknown
While that has not occurred to me yet, I do find sometimes that the J seat on the A321T allows me to sleep better. I am very tall and the F seat sometimes feels like my legs are constricted in a tight space.
As a tall person, I find it to be the case almost universally that I prefer more symmetrical, armchair-style seats to reverse-herringbone seats. JL F > CX F, QR or TK old J > most any new J. Clearly a matter of opinion, but my experience.
truthknown likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
As a tall person, I find it to be the case almost universally that I prefer more symmetrical, armchair-style seats to reverse-herringbone seats. JL F > CX F, QR or TK old J > most any new J. Clearly a matter of opinion, but my experience.
Agreed. The latest J seats (intercontinental J) are typically horrible for tall people. Straighter seats are definitely better and ones that do not cause legs to be trapped in a tight space on all sides.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by truthknown
I am tall as well and personally prefer the larger footwell in F over J. I do find it awkward to get in and out of the F seat though.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:36 pm

Yes I have experienced similar discomfort in this seat
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29603532-post137.html
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Cry me a river. If I get relegated to J, I will happily trade spots with any disaffected and unhappy F seat occupants... I frequently fly in F JFK/LAX, and think it is just fine. What a great aircraft. Hey, and F gets espresso machine privileges. J does not. Yes, the F seat is tough to get in and out of when fully reclined, but again, that is a wholly first world problem compared to steerage class. Getting out of a J window is no picnic either.
ijgordon and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Perhaps if they gave padding it would improve it? Consider this is the same product as many top rated international J products, it seems strange that you would have this issue. That being said, the guys in steerage would love to help you with your problem.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I'm not aware of this uncomfortable seat. Either I didn't notice or I haven't been upgraded to F to see for myself.

What I DO know is horribly uncomfortable are the F seats in the 319. There is a bar that protrudes right into your back. How these seats are still in service is beyond me.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
I had 4 flights in first on the A321T during January - after not having flown those routes in a year.
I was surprised at how worn the seats and cabin looked... the fact that none of the planes had been carefully cleaned didn't help their appearance.

I think those planes get fairly heavy use - not sure the intended life expectancy of those seats, but will probably wear out sooner than later.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by rowingman
Cry me a river. If I get relegated to J, I will happily trade spots with any disaffected and unhappy F seat occupants... I frequently fly in F JFK/LAX, and think it is just fine. What a great aircraft. Hey, and F gets espresso machine privileges. J does not. Yes, the F seat is tough to get in and out of when fully reclined, but again, that is a wholly first world problem compared to steerage class. Getting out of a J window is no picnic either.
Isn't almost everything discussed on this site first world problems? What a privilege we have to fly on an airplane in the first place! There are SO many who can't afford to. So your point that we are essentially giving our opinions about a product being discussed that most don't have access too is moot in my opinion.

And no, I will not trade my F seat for your J seat no matter how unhappy I may be with my F seat...
JonNYC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.