Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Passenger acceptance: Can Passenger complaints get you kicked off a flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger acceptance: Can Passenger complaints get you kicked off a flight?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2020, 10:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A number of posts comprised of post content that was supportive of stereotypes or that included unsupported and speculative material about religious beliefs and practices, and replies to those, have been deleted.

Please be cautious where you tread, lest you step on someone’s beliefs or trigger dilatory posts dis using religion, etc.

Thank you,

Old Feb 2, 2020, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
In another venue, some very frequent travelers have discussed carrying a small amount of Vick’s Vap-o-Rub with them, a favorite of crime scene investigators and cleanup personnel. Worn on the upper lip or in the moustache, it can provide some covering up of unwanted odors.

Rather than reply about the specific body odor complaint, I added a story about another person who apparently had passengers’ complaints made about his choice of wearing a gas mask and watch cap pulled down over parts of the gas mask used to disembark him from a flight. The title is broader than the family much of the discussion has focused on. My apology to anyone who felt I was attempting to move this thread off topic.
I like the Vick's idea or how about a lavender scented spray?
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
He didn't smell that bad, its just that the drug sniffing dogs could no longer function
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by aoumd
CNN is now reporting (and escalated this story as a FB post from their official page) that an AA GA was quoted telling the couple that "he knew 'Orthodox Jews only shower once per week'." CNN's reporting includes AA corporate claiming "religion was not a factor" but does not include any response by AA corporate to the allegation of this quote.

If that's anywhere near what was said by the GA in handling this situation, then this situation goes way beyond body odor.

Totally concur with Queen of Coach - the GA who made that statement needs to be sacked.
IF that statement was made, it was not why they were kicked off the plane, but after pilot had decided to kick them off the plain for the odor, so that does not indicate they were kicked off the plane due to their religion, which would be the main money point of the lawsuit. The rest is nonsense. They are the ones who publicized this incident, so they are the ones responsible for what a google search might show.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by craz
I agree however if they didnt write down the names of those people whos to say any other passenger really complained? As Ive said already it might simply be a CYA issue for the crew, blame it on other passengers complained

If that holds up w/o any names and seat #s then any crew member can get anyone off loaded for any reason and simply say well a bunch of the other passengers were complaining.
The crew's statements alone would be enough to indicate the passenger was kicked off due to odor.
It is up to the plaintiff to prove it was religious discrimination, and I doubt they have the witness that would prove that
Remember, it doesn't matter what you believe, in court it matters what you can prove.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mvoight
The crew's statements alone would be enough to indicate the passenger was kicked off due to odor.
It is up to the plaintiff to prove it was religious discrimination, and I doubt they have the witness that would prove that
Remember, it doesn't matter what you believe, in court it matters what you can prove.
I actually have taken neither side in this , and have posted that the Adlers asking people the next day if they smelled and were embarassed doing so was something they brought on themselves. and if anything they should have asked people the day when they were off loaded.

From a video that appeared it seems that the Adlers were very combative and maybe were the same when they requested the ear phones and were denied again. I wasnt there but I also wouldnt be suing for being thrown off and claiming it was due to anti-semitism, unless I had 100% proof to that and thus far I dont see it.

My pt was anytime a crew member wants to throw someone off they can always simply say well a number of other passengers were complaining so we had no choice, when maybe the crew member didnt like the person for whatever reason, or maybe in fact one or both did smell, but w/o the FA being able to produce the names and seat #s of those people why should I believe them? As Ive said I was involved where the crew member made stuff up to get their way and their coworker did the same on a follow up trip.Its a great excuse to simply CYA by saying well a bunch of other passengers complained w/o having any names, you can get away with murder

what i dont understand is why ask for the ear phones before you are even settled in and the IFE isnt on (I assume)

Something doesnt add up on both sides
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Ear phones are typically not handed out until the a/c is in flight. It's understandable for Y paxs that FA can't stop flow traffic to seats to hand someone ear buds. Not to mention whey didn't they just used the ones they had gotten on a previous flight. Moreover, how and why would the Captain that would be in the cockpit doing inflight prep get involved in such a conversation.

I saw pictures and the guy by my opinion looked unkept. Now unkept may not necessarily mean bad and noticeable body odor but in my 60 years on this Earth those with bad body odor usually look unkept. My thinks this is nothing more than a shake down.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by craz
but w/o the FA being able to produce the names and seat #s of those people why should I believe them?
In the event of a lawsuit, it would be very easy for the airline to retrieve the seat numbers of the deplaned passengers and the names of those surrounding them.

If the family was in Row 23, just send letters to folks in Rows 21-25 and ask them for their recollections of the incident.

"Dear Mr Smith. On xx/xx/2019 on board AA yy, by our records, you were seated in Row 22. On that flight, two adult passengers and their infant were deplaned. Please respond with your recollection of the incident, in as much detail as possible."

I am sure that the complaining passengers (if they exist) will have a clear recollection and will respond. I know I would. I, personally, have clear recollections of problem passengers from years back.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
In the event of a lawsuit, it would be very easy for the airline to retrieve the seat numbers of the deplaned passengers and the names of those surrounding them.

If the family was in Row 23, just send letters to folks in Rows 21-25 and ask them for their recollections of the incident.

"Dear Mr Smith. On xx/xx/2019 on board AA yy, by our records, you were seated in Row 22. On that flight, two adult passengers and their infant were deplaned. Please respond with your recollection of the incident, in as much detail as possible."

I am sure that the complaining passengers (if they exist) will have a clear recollection and will respond. I know I would. I, personally, have clear recollections of problem passengers from years back.

Well if I was AA in this case thats what I would do since w/o any evidence from the so called complaining passengers , it adds up to me at least as a CYA issue by the crew
Old Feb 3, 2020, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge

I saw pictures and the guy by my opinion looked unkept. Now unkept may not necessarily mean bad and noticeable body odor but in my 60 years on this Earth those with bad body odor usually look unkept. My thinks this is nothing more than a shake down.
A # of yrs ago in Aug I was flying back to NY with a friend from LHR , I was in 1st they were in Y. It was close to 100 that day and the past few days. I was in a tank top, short s and sandals(Oh My). Anyways I went to visit with my friend since my meal wasnt ready yet(special meal) and when they were gonna start serving back there I went back to my seat to be out of their way. Got to Club Class when I placed my hand on the curtain to get into 1st the FA said Sorry Please Dont Touch the Curtain, so I let go and she followed up with Sorry please return to your seat. So I put my hand back on the curtain when she said again not to touch the curtain. As I turned towards her the FA from 1st opened the curtain sees me snd says Oh Mr Craz I was just coming to get you your meal is ready, the FA in Club turned a red I havent seen and says to the FA from 1st I thought you have only 2 passengers up front, and she tells thats correct Mr Craz here and a woman who is up there

Point as you know is never judge a book by its cover, the FA in Club looked at me and figured Im a Y passenger trying to go into 1st

Now it just might be a shake down and maybe its Adlers idea or maybe the liar (lawyer) he asked if theres a case, but unless they have 100% proof that its due to being Jewish and not what ones gut feels, then DONT PLAY THAT CARD. And had there not been a suit then nothing would have been found on Google, so any embarassment is their own fault imo

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 3, 2020 at 2:30 pm Reason: Close quote
Old Feb 3, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
You are all so serious.

FWIW:

1. AA is going to settle this, right or wrong. AFAICT - if a case can pass beyond MTD, then the chance of settlement is high, unless the Adlers choose to fight.

2. The burden of proof is on the Adlers. So if AA is sticking to its side, then the Adlers must prove that they have acceptable odors for others to accept.

The freedom of religion is not absolute. It has to be exercised in a reasonable manner. I don't know about how Jews practice their Judaism. But if their religious practice (like not showering) are enough to offend people, then the freedom of religion is no longer on their side.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 2:39 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by JDiver
My apology to anyone who felt I was attempting to move this thread off topic.
and i apologize for suggesting that. to swing to avoiding smells. this link may help.

https://coronertalk.com/controlling-odor
Old Feb 3, 2020, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
You are all so serious.

FWIW:

1. AA is going to settle this, right or wrong. AFAICT - if a case can pass beyond MTD, then the chance of settlement is high, unless the Adlers choose to fight.

2. The burden of proof is on the Adlers. So if AA is sticking to its side, then the Adlers must prove that they have acceptable odors for others to accept.

The freedom of religion is not absolute. It has to be exercised in a reasonable manner. I don't know about how Jews practice their Judaism. But if their religious practice (like not showering) are enough to offend people, then the freedom of religion is no longer on their side.
Does anyone have a link to the lawsuit? Has it been filed yet? I'm curious to know exactly what they are alleging.

1. They were kicked off because of their religion, and they actually did not smell? or...
2. They did smell, but kicking them off because they smell is discriminatory?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
[QUOTE=garykung;32028561]You are all so serious.

FWIW:

The freedom of religion is not absolute. It has to be exercised in a reasonable manner. I don't know about how Jews practice their Judaism. But if their religious practice (like not showering) are enough to offend people, then the freedom of religion is no longer on their side.[/QUOTE]

The first sentence is correct. However the rest is 100% incorrect. It must go far beyond simply offending people to be able to exclude.

Also freedom of religion has to deal with the government. In this case what matters is anti-discrimination laws.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by garykung

Plain and Simple there is no prohibition to showering with the following exceptions from sundown Fri to sundown Sat (The Shabbat) not important here since the Adlers wouldnt be flying during that time period anyways, also 2- 25 hour periods Yom Kippur (again not important as The Adlers wouldnt be flying, and Tish B'AV (9th of AV(month) usually in July or Aug, although one may fly on this day most Religious Jews would not. So in a nutshell its pure NONSENSE saying its against their religion to shower or bathe

FYI on The Shabbat it is permissible to wash your face hands and any area that has gotten dirty.
born sleepy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.