Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2014-2017 AA Miles Award: TN / Air Tahiti Nui award redemptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2014-2017 AA Miles Award: TN / Air Tahiti Nui award redemptions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2015, 8:13 am

Taxes

Originally Posted by JBauer
well, i should have known...i called a third time and after much discussion from the Platinum representative-- she said she didn't think TN is a One World parter--- i was on hold for 15 minutes...finally came back and said OK -- and said she had to do something different to see availability...once all was said and done she apparently could see all EF availability -- the key here is she actually had to try...and so it goes...third times a charm...paid about $60 in taxes and fees each economy ticket...does that sound correct to people (she sounded very confused)...
I wrote a very detailed account of the phone booking process here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24064514-post323.html

It sounds like you paid similar amount of taxes:
"The latter were $5.60 per ticket on the flight to PPT, and $56.90 per ticket on the return from PPT."
Old Oct 3, 2015, 9:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mercruiser
I wrote a very detailed account of the phone booking process here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24064514-post323.html

It sounds like you paid similar amount of taxes:
"The latter were $5.60 per ticket on the flight to PPT, and $56.90 per ticket on the return from PPT."
Yes those were my fees. $5.60 on the outbound but my fees were lower on the inbound, somewhere around $49.00
Old Oct 5, 2015, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by JDiver
But it beats the bejabbers out of 30" "Moana" economy class, and there are no alternatives that come to mind. Hawaiian has Saturday only flights with recliners, TN now has codeshares marketed by airlines that used to offer alternatives to air Tahiti Nui.
I love Bora Bora, but I seriously dread the flights on TN. Even the J seats have awful lumbar support. I miss the old single-row F cabin with full flat beds.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 11:14 am

Very sorry if my question has already been answered somewhere in this thread (searched but could not find): does anyone know if I can book a connecting flight on QF from Australia to AKL, followed by AKL-PPT on TN, still using this as a 1way award within Oceania? I would think this should be the case (most definitely when all segments are on OW) but given the mix with TN I'm not sure. Many thanks in advance!
Old Oct 16, 2015, 11:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Epicura
Very sorry if my question has already been answered somewhere in this thread (searched but could not find): does anyone know if I can book a connecting flight on QF from Australia to AKL, followed by AKL-PPT on TN, still using this as a 1way award within Oceania? I would think this should be the case (most definitely when all segments are on OW) but given the mix with TN I'm not sure. Many thanks in advance!
Interesting question! I'm guessing the most significant carrier, Air Tahiti Nui, might have to offer an unconstructed fare from your origin in Australia to Papeete for any single award possibility. We'll look forward to the definitive answer.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Interesting question! I'm guessing the most significant carrier, Air Tahiti Nui, might have to offer an unconstructed fare from your origin in Australia to Papeete for any single award possibility. We'll look forward to the definitive answer.
Afaik they don't. QF does, via AKL and then AKL-PPT is QF coded, but operated by TN. Can't find any availability in EF on that codeshare however (perhaps QF is not even permitted to release awards).

I will call AA and ask. I will leave feedback.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 12:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Afaik they don't. QF does, via AKL and then AKL-PPT is QF coded, but operated by TN. Can't find any availability in EF on that codeshare however (perhaps QF is not even permitted to release awards).

I will call AA and ask. I will leave feedback.
You can not book an award on a QF codeshare operated by Air Tahiti Nui.

But IMO for an award to be available using AA miles, you will have to book TN from AKL, as well as QF from Australia - and TN as most significant carrier (though I've not checked the distances etc. because we don't know your origin in Godzone), will have to offer a paid, non-married / unconstructed fare from origin to destination to secure that on one AA award, AFAIK.

We look forward to the answer you get from AA. And remember the big merger is going on, and whilst they're staffing up an extra 20%, many may not know the intricacies of award bookings. Good luck!

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 16, 2015 at 12:48 pm
Old Oct 16, 2015, 1:03 pm

Thanks, I might just need it .

Anyway, TN does offer fares involving SYD, BNE and MEL, via AKL to PPT. The Australia-AKL (and vice versa) segment is operated by QF. I can find these connections in ITA and EF but 0 availability (for my dates at least) on the Australia-AKL segments. Anyway, there are fares offered on TN. If I could find availability for a single QF flight, perhaps it could be issued as 1 award. We will see.

I'm trying to fly out of PER but can change airports (and probably will have to).
Old Oct 16, 2015, 2:43 pm

I've done this in the reverse direction (PPT-AKL-MEL) and it booked as one AA award. Based on that I would say yes. That trip was in July 2013.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 11:18 am

Lightbulb Finally cleared my first class seats on Alaska

This is a followup on my Post #323 from December 28.

Originally Posted by mercruiser
Just completed booking two RT business class tickets on TN. I'm going to list some of the things I noticed during the booking process. Most of this has already been discussed previously in this thread, so consider this just another data point.

Goal was two RT business class tickets to Tahiti from Spokane, WA. This award requires 62,500 miles, one-way, for a MileSAAver award.

<snip>

One last glitch worth mentioning, for my return flight, the US Airways connection was not very good, so I wanted to fly on Alaska Airlines via Seattle. Problem is, Alaska is only releasing one first class “Saver” award seat per flight right now, class code “A”. I told the agent to book me in economy, class code “W”. That should be no problem, but the AA computer was telling the agent to charge me for an extra domestic award in addition to the 62,500 miles. The agent knew this was wrong and put me on hold while he contacted some other department that could override the computer programming glitch.

I have put in a “Flight Alert” on ExpertFlyer to send me a text & email when two “A” seats are available on the Alaska Airlines flight. If/when that happens, I'll call AA and ask them to update the ticket from coach to first class.
I finally got the Expertflyer Flight Alert for two first class award seats on my Alaska flight from LAX to SEA, Class Code: "First - Saver Award (A)". I looked this up on Expertflyer and saw that there were 3 "A" seats available. I called American and changed the flight from coach to first. It was very easy. But, I sure had to wait a long time for the award availability to come through. Honestly, I don't know how I could have done this without a Flight Alert. I'm certainly not going to check the airline web site every day for 10 months!
Old Oct 31, 2015, 3:29 pm

Air Tahiti confirmation number but not ticketed (aa award booking )

Ok I feel like I have rung the gauntlet finding an award ticket from Chs to ppt and back in business. Lottery winning!! However I have not received the confirmation email yet as the agent on the exec plat desk said it was "qued" for air Tahiti and once they approve I would get an email. It's been a few hours and although I have confirmation numbers I don't have an email. Also my miles haven't been deducted. I'm very concerned as I had to release the other dates I had on a five day hold to get this!!! Has anyone experienced anything similar?
Old Oct 31, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3.5MM), UA Premier, Hertz President's Circle, Marriott
Originally Posted by Latitudegratitude
Ok I feel like I have rung the gauntlet finding an award ticket from Chs to ppt and back in business. Lottery winning!! However I have not received the confirmation email yet as the agent on the exec plat desk said it was "qued" for air Tahiti and once they approve I would get an email. It's been a few hours and although I have confirmation numbers I don't have an email. Also my miles haven't been deducted. I'm very concerned as I had to release the other dates I had on a five day hold to get this!!! Has anyone experienced anything similar?
Yes - It took a couple of days to ticket. If you call AA back they should be able to give you the Air Tahiti locator number even though not ticketed.

Award tickets with partners are often not processed until sometime during the week. I know how you feel - I have upcoming reservations on CX, FJ, TN, and I always want to see that confirmation.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 10:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Just a data point for the optimists out there.

Booked NRT-PPT-NRT exactly a year ago. Needed 3J but of course had to book 2J 1Y. Had an EF alert going for the whole year ... flew the outbound last week and the return is tomorrow. No alert.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I'm not even seeing Y on 4/15/2016. EF showing I0 W0.

I may just have to come back a day earlier when there is more availability.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 4:02 pm

On our way

After almost two years of planning this trip, we are finally on our way to Tahiti. We have two seats in business class on the new configuration. We spend one night in Papeete before heading off to Bora Bora on Sunday.

Thanks to everyone on Flyertalk who helped me figure out how to get AAdvantage miles on credit card sign up bonuses. And thanks for your help in understanding how to book the only two business class awards on a given flight. Life is good!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.