Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Question two, RE: policing overhead bin storage.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question two, RE: policing overhead bin storage.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL
There was a time when the airlines policed compliance with carry-on limits, both size and quantity. They gave that up long ago. I'm surprised by the few commenters who say they don't need carry-on space. Good for them, but they are a distinct minority. In most cases, passengers go way overboard lugging all sorts of junk onto planes, then trying to stuff it all into the overhead space. They have roller boards, backpacks, large purses, totebags, laptops, ski boots, souvenirs, stuffed animals, musical instruments, etc. There is now a free-for-all with passengers doing everything they can to jump to the head of the boarding line and stuff all their junk into any empty overhead space they can find.
As others have pointed out, even if you board relatively early and have a seat near the front of the plane, it is remarkable how much of the overhead space has already been taken by those sitting further back. I know FA's have more than enough to do, but there really should be a system that allows passengers access to the space above their seat. My wife and I follow the rules. We have one roller board (mine) that goes in the overhead, and one small duffel/tote (hers) that goes under the seat. It literally takes us about 15 seconds to store our stuff and get in our seats.
The overhead scramble got much worse when airlines started charging for checked bags. While this might be a moneymaker for the airlines, I knew it would make boarding much worse. I tend to agree with IADCAflyer. Maybe if the airlines tacked on a charge for anything beyond the first carryon, the problem could be alleviated. If you want to carry on that large stuffed animal you purchased at Disney, or your ski boots, you should pay for the space.

Last edited by williasp; Jan 16, 2019 at 1:25 pm
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Delta, United, Hilton Honors, Marriott and Holiday Inn, National/Enterprise
Just be nice

If you are seated in row 20 don't put your bag over 10. As others have stated, there is no correlation between the number of people on the plane and the number of overhead spaces (at least for the max size carry-on). Just be polite, use common sense and don't be a tool. And that means you- the guy who folds his sport coat for the overhead when there 's no bag up there yet (and still boarding), or the woman who insists her purse should be stowed up instead of under the seat in front of her, or the guy who spends an inordinate amount of time prepping himself to sit down while backing up the boarding process.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by williasp
There was a time when the airlines policed compliance with carry-on limits, ....
Every time you edit your post, it becomes invisible to all because you send it back to the moderation queue. This occurs because members with very low post counts (mostly newer members) must have their posts approved under certain circumstances. Editing an early post sometimes indicates a spammer has added spam or malware links, so it’s withdrawn for inspection and approval.

Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Cmitchell7
If you are seated in row 20 don't put your bag over 10. As others have stated, there is no correlation between the number of people on the plane and the number of overhead spaces (at least for the max size carry-on). Just be polite, use common sense and don't be a tool. And that means you- the guy who folds his sport coat for the overhead when there 's no bag up there yet (and still boarding), or the woman who insists her purse should be stowed up instead of under the seat in front of her, or the guy who spends an inordinate amount of time prepping himself to sit down while backing up the boarding process.
As logical as that may seem, it’s made more difficult by such things as bulkhead seats where everything is required to fit in overhead bins. Some overhead bins - often those near bulkheads - may be filled with oxygen generators, first aid or demo equipment, occasionally even FA rollaboards. Some seats (such as the new First MiQ seats) are obstructed by equipment boxes that prohibit “personal items” of significant size from being placed there.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Delta, United, Hilton Honors, Marriott and Holiday Inn, National/Enterprise
I get that. As I said, just be nice and use some common sense.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by jensha
A lot of problems would be solved if the airlines stopped charging for checked bags. Many people would check if they didn't have to pay and that would be less bags in the security lines, less bags in the OH bins and less bags in the boarding process. I'm not sure I agree with adding fees for carryon bags as I see this as a new issue slowing down the boarding process.
I respectfully disagree. SWA doesn't charge for up to 2 bags and they still have problems with overcrowded overhead bins.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Cmitchell7
I get that. As I said, just be nice and use some common sense.
If paxs and airline staff used common sense and practiced common currency I'm not sure what we would talk about on FT. Someone said, "if you want to know how stupid the human race can be, just go to an airport and look around."
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:34 pm

Agree. My comment was not reserved for only the flying public.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by williasp
There was a time when the airlines policed compliance with carry-on limits, both size and quantity. They gave that up long ago.
Agree this is the case in the US. In Europe the size restrictions are strictly enforced.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:36 pm

nittfan:

I have also seen inconsiderate sods drop off their bag in overhead bins near the front of the planne and then proceed to their seat in the back. They do this so that when they exit the plane they can proceed down the aisle unencumbered and collect their bag near the front where they left it. This is horrible since this means that there might not be enough overhead room up front and might require that the front row passengers have to wait to collect their bags in the back of the plane.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by baggins
nittfan:

I have also seen inconsiderate sods drop off their bag in overhead bins near the front of the planne and then proceed to their seat in the back. They do this so that when they exit the plane they can proceed down the aisle unencumbered and collect their bag near the front where they left it. This is horrible since this means that there might not be enough overhead room up front and might require that the front row passengers have to wait to collect their bags in the back of the plane.
I identify the person (sex, age, clothing colors)--sometimes when the overhead bins are overloaded, a FA
will ask whose bag it is. Sherlock Holmes at work.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
So here would be my solution:

First checked bag - free
Second checked bag - $25.00
Personal item that fits underseat or overhead - free. A personal item is a purse, laptop bag, tote bag, or small back pack.
Overhead bag - $20.00. An overhead bag is any bag taken on board flight that is not defined as a personal item.

Payment for overhead should be done at check in which will then allow the computer system to print a boarding pass showing - OVERHEAD OK.

Overhead space gratis for all AA elites, 1W elites, and AA affinity credit card holders.
Charging for for both checked and carryon is what Allegiant does, and it is done online and appears on the boarding pass. It is $50 for checked and $30 for carryon. Not saying Allegiant is a good role model. Possibly airlines started the practice of charging for checked bags and not for carryon because you can check a larger size bag.

Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: life ritz platinum, SA hon circle, Eastern Executive Traveler, Delta Flying Colonel, AA Admiral VIP
Originally Posted by nittfan
When will the airlines do the only rationale thing and match overhead bin space with your ticket? If I have seat 12A, I should have overhead bin space marked 12A. I would gladly pay a small extra fee for this. I realize that this would mean the flight attendants would have even more policing to do. I know that only perfectly sized bags will fit, wheels first, 3 to a bin, etc. I know that AA currently has bins marked for those who purchased "AAdvantage Extra" seating and are therefore also given a higher boarding group #. However, on a recent flight, no one was in my seat row, but there was already a large bag in the overhead bin immediately above my seat (in a AE seat).

While my husband was still alive, we were able to pre-board several flights, because he was a wheelchair passenger. During these episodes of preboarding, I was able to witness several factors contributing to limited overhead bin storage in coach: The first few overhead bins inevitably had FAA/flight attendant equipment - seatbelt / airbag demos, sometimes what appeared to be first aid or debibrillor, customs forms, HI arrival forms, Citi/Barclay applications, etc. In addition, you have the bulkhead seats that have no underseat storage. Then you have the ignoramuses who ignore the flight attendants instructions of storing only ONE bag in the overhead bins, and those who put their oversized bags sideways. This of course leads to a domino effect, in that those boarding in any group later than 4 now have to place their bags in the next row back or the closest bin to their assigned seat. I got to witness this first hand, several times when we were seated early.

I'm sure this question has been raised before, but my searching did not turn up any answers to my question, probably because the answer(s) are complex. Please don't flame me (rather, please direct me to pertinent threads), as I am a mere leisure traveler. TY for your time.
So what happens to the person in the first aisle?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:27 am

And there is the issue of overhead bins not big enough to hold a LEGAL-SIZED carryon, such as the Canadair regional aircraft AA uses.
I found it odd that on the regional flights they will let you gate-check a carryon, but on the 'normal' AA flights they won't.

I bring a carryon specifically so I won't have to check them at all, and there have been numerous times where if I had to
actually 'check' my bag at the actual checkin counter the bag would have never made it to my connecting flight.
Last week I flew into DFW, and they had changed my connecting flight - it was leaving the gate 8 MINUTES after I landed in a
different terminal - not 40 minutes as originally scheduled - I barely had time to get to my flight - I was the last one on it.
Do you think my checked bag would have made it to my flight? I don't.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: Iberia Plus, Flying Blue, Delta Skymiles, Priority Club
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
----
So you're okay with the guy who is sitting in row 33 to plant his/her bag in any overhead bin at a row in the front of the cabin (or even in the F-class) and just walking away? This way, the people who are actually sitting in F-class or the first few rows of coach can just bypass their row when their overhead bin is full to look for an available bin much further back......because they really want to reverse their way upstream during or after all others are boarding/boarded and leave their bag entirely where they cannot see it so that they can get to their assigned seat all the way up front. Yes, of course that's the best way to do this. (eye roll x 1000).
Exactly, my experience recently, after early boarding, I watch a passenger emerge into the main cabin cradling a triple wide "carry-on". Immediately, he attempts to hoist it at arms length into the OB above my seat. My briefcase (no wheels, no backpack) is in that bin, with room for another normal carry-on. The nearby FA intervenes because the XXL bag won't wedge itself in, asks PAX what seat he has, he replies 28C. then turns to me and starts to move my briefcase to another OB to accommodate him. This was row 7 (upgrade extra charge seats, and yes it specifies OB space). So basically, his plan was to dump his xxl bag in a front OB, to avoid lugging it to his seat at the back. Anyway, I couldn't have put my bag at my feet because there was no seat in front, this being a three seat row behind a two seat row. Tough times. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.