Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Question two, RE: policing overhead bin storage.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question two, RE: policing overhead bin storage.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by asimegusta
Exactly, my experience recently, after early boarding, I watch a passenger emerge into the main cabin cradling a triple wide "carry-on". Immediately, he attempts to hoist it at arms length into the OB above my seat. My briefcase (no wheels, no backpack) is in that bin, with room for another normal carry-on. The nearby FA intervenes because the XXL bag won't wedge itself in, asks PAX what seat he has, he replies 28C. then turns to me and starts to move my briefcase to another OB to accommodate him. This was row 7 (upgrade extra charge seats, and yes it specifies OB space). So basically, his plan was to dump his xxl bag in a front OB, to avoid lugging it to his seat at the back. Anyway, I couldn't have put my bag at my feet because there was no seat in front, this being a three seat row behind a two seat row. Tough times. :-)
i’ve had the opposite experience, with the crew policing the overhead bins at various points on the plane, and asking people where they were sitting when it looked obvious they weren’t where they were putting their bags. 2 or 3 people got told to take their bags with them to where their seats were.

Personally, I find that behaviour one of my biggest annoyances, as it’s the entitlement of it. It just screams, “i’m more important than everyone else on this flight”, and it really rubs me the wrong way.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA Advantage
Cool AA recently took off the plane for trying to put my bag in MY OVERHEAD BIN

First off, If TSA can monitor how much fluids you are allowed to put in your carry on bags, surely the flight attendants can monitor which overhead bin each seat can use. I recently was taken off a flight on American Airlines because when I got to my seat, the overhead bin had some bags in them and I took them out and put mine up there. I had to spend the night in O'Hare Airport and was not "allowed" to fly until the next day. This was a major inconvenience for me. Call me "Old Fashioned", or Call it "Old School" but I remember when they boarded you by your seat rows, First Class first and back row by row. You couldn't pay to board before others or use your credit card to do so. I had actually paid extra money to get a "roomier seat" but when I boarded and walked up to my seat, there were people way in the back of the plane who had already boarded and who I assumed had put their bag in MY overhead compartment. I wasn't late either, if that's what you are thinking. Airlines nowadays are starting to charge for checked baggages AND carry on bags. How hard would it be to not only number your seat but number your overhead compartment? So, flight attendants may have a little bit more work to do. AND? There is a reason they call it your "overhead compartment" and that's because it is above Your Head, as should be your bags. The flight I was on Barely had enough room under me for my purse and I don't carry that big of a purse. I remember when all you paid for was an alcoholic beverage. We are still flying on planes that are as old as when we only paid for alcohol, yet we have to pay to check our luggage, pay for our meals, pay for our headphones, even pay to use our laptops and now on some airlines and I assume soon all airlines will be charging to use the overhead compartment. Why has all of this changed? Flights are higher priced to accommodate for higher gas prices. Is it because of airline employees getting raises that we have to now pay for all these things? Not only can't you put your bags in YOUR overhead compartment, and might I also mention that there are some of us who need access to our bags, or ones who want to be able to see their bag to insure no one steals it, I had to put my mink vest up there on one flight and since I had to put it in the overhead compartment in the back, when the flight ended and by the time I was able to get to where I had to put my bag and my fur, someone had stolen it. And don't get me started on how I didn't have insurance and never got reimbursed for it and it cost me over $2000 for my mink when I bought it! Wake up people. If the FA's can't monitor the overhead bin compartments, what are they good for? This can EASILY be done. As it was, when I tried explaining to American Airlines about how I was taken off that flight, they wrote back to me telling me that the reason I was taken off the plane was because the "Flight Attendants" didn't want to have to deal with me. And, let me also say, I wasn't loud, or rude or drunk, I was just a person who believed and needed, my bag above my head and was standing firm to try and get it done. It's not bad enough because of 911, WE are monitored with what and how much we can bring on a plane, have to pay for everything that used to be free, will soon be charged for carry on bags, but a little thing like putting your overhead compartment number on your ticket and MONITORING that everyone does this is too much for the flight attendants? REALLY?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: life ritz platinum, SA hon circle, Eastern Executive Traveler, Delta Flying Colonel, AA Admiral VIP
Originally Posted by thedeeg

i’ve had the opposite experience, with the crew policing the overhead bins at various points on the plane, and asking people where they were sitting when it looked obvious they weren’t where they were putting their bags. 2 or 3 people got told to take their bags with them to where their seats were.

Personally, I find that behaviour one of my biggest annoyances, as it’s the entitlement of it. It just screams, “i’m more important than everyone else on this flight”, and it really rubs me the wrong way.
confused. who is the entitled one? bags above his head or several seats down?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by mikkittykat
I had to spend the night in O'HareAirport and was not "allowed" to fly until the next day.
Oh please do elaborate
cynicAAl likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Zurick
confused. who is the entitled one? bags above his head or several seats down?
In my view, if you put your bag at the front, and then sit multiple rows back from your bag, you’re the entitled one.

The person looking to put their bag in a bin above their seat is looking for “equivalent” convenience. Ie, relative to their position on the plane. The person putting their bag before their seating, is looking for “greater” convenience. They view their convenience as more important than the person looking to locate their rollerbord around their general position.

Note, you never see anyone voluntarily put their stuff behind them, because it’s an inconvenience. So the people using the bin before their seating, is effectively inconveniencing more and more people for their gain, as the problem extrapolates the more people who have to cross paths.

To me, that’s entitlement 101. I’m important enough to inconvenience a number of people for my personal gain.
catcher1 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: life ritz platinum, SA hon circle, Eastern Executive Traveler, Delta Flying Colonel, AA Admiral VIP
Originally Posted by thedeeg

To me, that’s entitlement 101. I’m important enough to inconvenience a number of people for my personal gain.
So if the space over your seat is full and the one several seats up is not and I board before you, I am wrong in putting my stuff there? Don't think so. I think the one who believes the space above their head is his/hers is the entitled one. I see nothing in my ticket that guarantees me an overhead space nor where that space would be located if it were.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
So if the space over your seat is full and the one several seats up is not and I board before you, I am wrong in putting my stuff there? Don't think so. I think the one who believes the space above their head is his/hers is the entitled one. I see nothing in my ticket that guarantees me an overhead space nor where that space would be located if it were.
But there are signs posted restricting non-MCE passengers from pacing them in MCE seats.

Do those not apply to someone who boards early?

And you checked the space by your seat before you put the bag in one several rows ahead?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:07 am

I recently was taken off a flight on American Airlines ... REALLY?
Where to even start...
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:32 pm
Suspended

First off, If TSA can monitor how much fluids you are allowed to put in your carry on bags, surely the flight attendants can monitor which overhead bin each seat can use. I recently was taken off a flight on American Airlines because when I got to my seat, the overhead bin had some bags in them and I took them out and put mine up there. I had to spend the night in O'Hare Airport and was not "allowed" to fly until the next day. This was a major inconvenience for me. Call me "Old Fashioned", or Call it "Old School" but I remember when they boarded you by your seat rows, First Class first and back row by row. You couldn't pay to board before others or use your credit card to do so. I had actually paid extra money to get a "roomier seat" but when I boarded and walked up to my seat, there were people way in the back of the plane who had already boarded and who I assumed had put their bag in MY overhead compartment. I wasn't late either, if that's what you are thinking. Airlines nowadays are starting to charge for checked baggages AND carry on bags. How hard would it be to not only number your seat but number your overhead compartment? So, flight attendants may have a little bit more work to do. AND? There is a reason they call it your "overhead compartment" and that's because it is above Your Head, as should be your bags. The flight I was on Barely had enough room under me for my purse and I don't carry that big of a purse. I remember when all you paid for was an alcoholic beverage. We are still flying on planes that are as old as when we only paid for alcohol, yet we have to pay to check our luggage, pay for our meals, pay for our headphones, even pay to use our laptops and now on some airlines and I assume soon all airlines will be charging to use the overhead compartment. Why has all of this changed? Flights are higher priced to accommodate for higher gas prices. Is it because of airline employees getting raises that we have to now pay for all these things? Not only can't you put your bags in YOUR overhead compartment, and might I also mention that there are some of us who need access to our bags, or ones who want to be able to see their bag to insure no one steals it, I had to put my mink vest up there on one flight and since I had to put it in the overhead compartment in the back, when the flight ended and by the time I was able to get to where I had to put my bag and my fur, someone had stolen it. And don't get me started on how I didn't have insurance and never got reimbursed for it and it cost me over $2000 for my mink when I bought it! Wake up people. If the FA's can't monitor the overhead bin compartments, what are they good for? This can EASILY be done. As it was, when I tried explaining to American Airlines about how I was taken off that flight, they wrote back to me telling me that the reason I was taken off the plane was because the "Flight Attendants" didn't want to have to deal with me. And, let me also say, I wasn't loud, or rude or drunk, I was just a person who believed and needed, my bag above my head and was standing firm to try and get it done. It's not bad enough because of 911, WE are monitored with what and how much we can bring on a plane, have to pay for everything that used to be free, will soon be charged for carry on bags, but a little thing like putting your overhead compartment number on your ticket and MONITORING that everyone does this is too much for the flight attendants? REALLY?
The FA is for your safety. No where does your ticket state the bin above you is yours Get real. If I had been on that flight I would have started clapping when they pulled you off
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by beachfan
But there are signs posted restricting non-MCE passengers from pacing them in MCE seats.

Do those not apply to someone who boards early?

And you checked the space by your seat before you put the bag in one several rows ahead?
never saw such "signs" and yes I checked my space first
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
never saw such "signs" and yes I checked my space first
They are there. Inside the bin against the back wall of the bin
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
I had to spend the night in O'Hare Airport and was not "allowed" to fly until the next day.
What a pity that they allowed you you fly the next day (or ever again).
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: AAdvatage
When I take a carry on, I will usually gate check it (all the way through) when they ask for volunteers to make more room in the overhead bins. I don't have to fool with putting it up and taking it down anymore-I just pick it up at baggage claim at the final destination. Much easier if you don't need access to anything in it.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bigboy61
When I take a carry on, I will usually gate check it (all the way through) when they ask for volunteers to make more room in the overhead bins. I don't have to fool with putting it up and taking it down anymore-I just pick it up at baggage claim at the final destination. Much easier if you don't need access to anything in it.
I prefer not to add a half-hour to my trip. And it ticks me off that it's common for the priority-tagged bags to come out last.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by catcher1
I And it ticks me off that it's common for the priority-tagged bags to come out last.
"their" way to stick it to us

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.