Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Question two, RE: policing overhead bin storage.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question two, RE: policing overhead bin storage.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Yes, you are probably all correct - as I mentioned, it would just give the flight attendant's more to monitor.

BearX220, you are correct too - maybe "sell" your unused bag spot, as trooper kidded! I have never understood how people board without at least a small bag, and I have rarely seen this. If they are checking all their baggage, they are taking a big chance, IMO. I have had handles torn off, wheels broken, big grease stains on bags, and delayed baggage. In addition, where are these (baggage-free) people keeping their medications, laptop, or other expensive or important possessions? Are these people just flying to a one day meeting? I don't get it ......!

On the recent (December/2018) flight where I did purchase MCE, although I was the first person in my row to arrive, there was already a bag in the overhead bin, although the bin was clearly marked as reserved for passengers who have paid for MCE. I will consider purchasing the MCE option in the future, but only if the price is reasonable ($20) or less. Otherwise, I will continue to do what I do now, which is to scan down the aisles to where my seat is located, and if no bin space is open there, grab the first space I see.

I do have both a Citi & Barclay AA branded card, but I do not always use them to purchase the ticket. I assume I must use the card to purchase the ticket in order to board by group 5?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by nittfan
I do have both a Citi & Barclay AA branded card, but I do not always use them to purchase the ticket. I assume I must use the card to purchase the ticket in order to board by group 5?
You do not. It's tied to your AAdvantage account, not how you purchase the ticket. You get it on tickets purchased with vouchers, other credit cards, etc... As long as your AAdvantage number is on the reservation.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I find it frustrating, but what to do? On longer trips (number of days away) I check a bag. Shorter ones I carry on. But I often need OH space regardless because I'm in a bulkhead seat and I have an underseat-sized rollerboard. Even when flying F, I sometimes have trouble finding space because I'm usually not in a hurry to board early. I will say that in F I usually get a little extra help from the FA's, especially since my furtive search is usually blocking the aisle.

There's no perfect solution. I wish this were the worst part of flying.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: UA
Problem is that many aircrafts do not have closets any more so flight attendants store their things in overhead bins. Then the bulkead passengers have to put everything above — so already row 1 is likely in the row 2 overhead bin space. And then there is the exit row, same as bulkhead, and the bags will not all fit if everyone has a carry on and personal item. And what about medical equipment brought on board that is not counted as part of a passenger’s carry on allowance.

There is not enough space and often First Class carry on spills back and it is then a domino effect.!!

Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by nittfan
When will the airlines do the only rationale thing and match overhead bin space with your ticket? If I have seat 12A, I should have overhead bin space marked 12A. I would gladly pay a small extra fee for this. I realize that this would mean the flight attendants would have even more policing to do. I know that only perfectly sized bags will fit, wheels first, 3 to a bin, etc. I know that AA currently has bins marked for those who purchased "AAdvantage Extra" seating and are therefore also given a higher boarding group #. However, on a recent flight, no one was in my seat row, but there was already a large bag in the overhead bin immediately above my seat (in a AE seat).

While my husband was still alive, we were able to pre-board several flights, because he was a wheelchair passenger. During these episodes of preboarding, I was able to witness several factors contributing to limited overhead bin storage in coach: The first few overhead bins inevitably had FAA/flight attendant equipment - seatbelt / airbag demos, sometimes what appeared to be first aid or debibrillor, customs forms, HI arrival forms, Citi/Barclay applications, etc. In addition, you have the bulkhead seats that have no underseat storage. Then you have the ignoramuses who ignore the flight attendants instructions of storing only ONE bag in the overhead bins, and those who put their oversized bags sideways. This of course leads to a domino effect, in that those boarding in any group later than 4 now have to place their bags in the next row back or the closest bin to their assigned seat. I got to witness this first hand, several times when we were seated early.

I'm sure this question has been raised before, but my searching did not turn up any answers to my question, probably because the answer(s) are complex. Please don't flame me (rather, please direct me to pertinent threads), as I am a mere leisure traveler. TY for your time.
The FAs could not do more policing since they do none now.

Nice idea but dream on, I’m afraid.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I am one of those that does not check a back, have not for any length of trip (3 days or 10 days) since all of my flights require connections to the overseas
The one or few times I did , a very long time ago, I saw my bag (yes I know it was my bag in case you were wondering) sitting out on the tarmac getting drenched from the rain.
Never had a problem finding space, expect once, when the FA just placed my bag in the crew area, after asking the captain.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by arttravel
Then the bulkead passengers have to put everything above — so already row 1 is likely in the row 2 overhead bin space. And then there is the exit row, same as bulkhead
Exit row passengers are typically allowed to use underseat stowage on AA.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:07 am

This issue is quickly going away as the bins are being replaced. If you have been on the MAX or OASIS 737s there is room for 1 bag for every passenger.
That is a whooping 65% increase in bin space.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Resolution to the bag bin issue is to allow checked bags for free and to charge for overhead space. AA is all about charging for convenience ("Preferred" seating, early boarding, etc.). So, charge for the convenience of using the overheads. There is a plethora of baggage hold space. Make that free.

You get one personal item free - laptop bag, purse, backpack. All roll-aboards and suitcases are a paid convenience. AA elite status members, MCE, and first class excluded - of course.
SPN Lifer and polinka like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Resolution to the bag bin issue is to allow checked bags for free and to charge for overhead space. AA is all about charging for convenience ("Preferred" seating, early boarding, etc.). So, charge for the convenience of using the overheads. There is a plethora of baggage hold space. Make that free.

You get one personal item free - laptop bag, purse, backpack. All roll-aboards and suitcases are a paid convenience. AA elite status members, MCE, and first class excluded - of course.
Nooooooo!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Mountain Trader, yes, I was thinking of a famous song ......"you may call me a dreamer, but I'm not the only one".

fotographer - the comment that I was responding to was post #15 in which Bear states that some people bring nothing on board (not the opposite, which you are referring to - which is what I do. I pack light and bring a rollaboard & personal bag on board. I have had way too many incidences of my bags being damaged in the distant past).

AggieNzona - not sure what you mean regarding the "bins are rapidly being replaced". I assume you mean that on the new planes they have been improved/enlarged? I recently took 6 fligh segments on AA. PHl-PHX; LAS-PHL, PHL-CLT; CLT-BGI; BGI-CLT; CLT-PHL. I cannot tell you what the airplanes were, although I did glance at the booklet once onboard. They all appeared as if they were new planes, and my rollaboard easily slipped in to all of these planes/flight, wheels first, which is usually recommended.

IADCAflyer, I agree with the first part of your post. Go back to the "old days" of free checked bags, but add a convenience fee for those, like myself, who prefer to know where their luggage is at all times. I would just hope that AA would make this affordable, say $20. I would gladly pay $20 to make sure my bag is on board with me, and that I don't need to stress out about the issue
during boarding.

catcher1 - why the adamant "NO"!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
As noted earlier, there is not one space for each passenger.

The math is straightforward - 3x14” wide bag = 42”. Rows are as little as 30” deep. Therefore, if all three passengers pay to reserve a spot, somebody will be sad.

This does not sound very important to the OP, since she is only willing to pay $20 for MCE. Apparently, there are people for whom this is more important, as they are willing to pay much more than $20 for MCE or spring $95 for a credit card that gets you group 5 boarding.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
Interesting thread. On a recent train travel in India, a passenger who boarded the train from a mid-way (meaning not the starting) station argued with me that he needs the overhead space right above his head to put his stuff up and demanded to take my stuff stored above his head elsewhere. Needless to say I refused.
I thought people savvy with plane travel understand the idea of shared space and it's practicality, but interesting to see the thought of dedicated overhead space cross people's minds.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I prefer to put my bag across the aisle from me so I can actually see it.
lisah101 and muji like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've been a frequent business traveler since the early 90s. I don't recall there being issues with overhead space until airlines starting charging for checked bags. I realize correlation doesn't equal causation, but...

I agree with IADCAFlyer. Incent people to check bags rather than incent them to carry them on. That will solve the problem.
SPN Lifer, drphun and muji like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.