Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Question two, RE: policing overhead bin storage.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

When will the airlines do the only rationale thing and match overhead bin space with your ticket? If I have seat 12A, I should have overhead bin space marked 12A. I would gladly pay a small extra fee for this. I realize that this would mean the flight attendants would have even more policing to do. I know that only perfectly sized bags will fit, wheels first, 3 to a bin, etc. I know that AA currently has bins marked for those who purchased "AAdvantage Extra" seating and are therefore also given a higher boarding group #. However, on a recent flight, no one was in my seat row, but there was already a large bag in the overhead bin immediately above my seat (in a AE seat).

While my husband was still alive, we were able to pre-board several flights, because he was a wheelchair passenger. During these episodes of preboarding, I was able to witness several factors contributing to limited overhead bin storage in coach: The first few overhead bins inevitably had FAA/flight attendant equipment - seatbelt / airbag demos, sometimes what appeared to be first aid or debibrillor, customs forms, HI arrival forms, Citi/Barclay applications, etc. In addition, you have the bulkhead seats that have no underseat storage. Then you have the ignoramuses who ignore the flight attendants instructions of storing only ONE bag in the overhead bins, and those who put their oversized bags sideways. This of course leads to a domino effect, in that those boarding in any group later than 4 now have to place their bags in the next row back or the closest bin to their assigned seat. I got to witness this first hand, several times when we were seated early.

I'm sure this question has been raised before, but my searching did not turn up any answers to my question, probably because the answer(s) are complex. Please don't flame me (rather, please direct me to pertinent threads), as I am a mere leisure traveler. TY for your time.

Last edited by nittfan; Jan 13, 2019 at 12:46 pm
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Logistically, it would be a mess.

I dont put anything in the overhead specifically because it allows me to avoid the zoo up there.
wreednelson likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
overhead bin space is shared space, it's not allocated to a specific seat or even a specific row. There isn't enough space in bins to allocate space per seat (or at least, not enough space that would fit normal rollaboard and carry-on bags in use). The first-come-first-served system works great (for those who board before Group 7).
BearX220, jerryss, drphun and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by Antarius
Logistically, it would be a mess.
Correct answer. There aren't enough bins to allocate one "bag's worth" of space per passenger. Even if there were, some overhead bins carry safety equipment, crew luggage, etc., so the idea that a "reserved" space would be next to your seat would be impossible.

OP, you should look into buying MCE. AA aircraft now have certain bins reserved for MCE. Although this is not policed by the FAs, MCE also allows you to board before regular coach, so you would have a chance to put your items in the reserved bins.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
You might enjoy flying Spirit Airlines or Frontier. There's never any trouble finding space for things in their overhead bins!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:50 pm

The engineer in me approves. The human in me is highly skeptical.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:02 pm
Suspended

OP as others have said no way to control the bins and if you want it near ya simply board early

I find the vast majority of folks want their carry-on by them too, but once the back gets full the FAs tells everyone just find any space in any bin, and once Y is full they tell people to place it in the Biz (1st) bins

My last flight MIA-PHL on a 763 I was one of the 1st to board in Y only to find 2 dead heading pilots in front of me and next to me, and yep I had to put my bag 3 rows behind me . The 763 bins are as tiny as tiny as the new lavs and bags dont fit wheels 1st or last only sideways, and thats by the windows the bins in the middle are almost useless except for a small backpack or coats. Needless to say a completely full flight which was delayed since there were tons of bags w/o and space in any bin that had to be gate checked in the end
wreednelson likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by wetrat0
Correct answer. There aren't enough bins to allocate one "bag's worth" of space per passenger. Even if there were, some overhead bins carry safety equipment, crew luggage, etc., so the idea that a "reserved" space would be next to your seat would be impossible.

OP, you should look into buying MCE. AA aircraft now have certain bins reserved for MCE. Although this is not policed by the FAs, MCE also allows you to board before regular coach, so you would have a chance to put your items in the reserved bins.
And, of course, holding a qualifying Citi or Barclays AA credit card not only affords one Boarding Group 5, but also permits a free checked bag on domestic flights. (I realize that some people prefer not to check a bag.)

Last edited by guv1976; Jan 13, 2019 at 2:28 pm
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
I avoid using overhead bins at all costs (Only use it when in bulkhead or INTL J/F where I don't get under-seat storage). I'd feel weird if they left me a slot open in the bin that I didn't intend to use, and they stopped some other passenger from using my space because it was "mine."
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The only solution is to radically cut the carry-on allowance. Even then it might not be enough.

Boarding a narrow body mainline aircraft takes a maximum of 15-20 minutes in most of the world. In the US, it often takes more than the generally-allotted 30 minutes. Why? Carry-ons and fights about OH space.

AA is better than most about policing the size of carry ons and that does help. While people here whine that carriers, including AA, sometimes cut off carry ons too early in the process, I favor that.

The proposal to allocate OH space is doomed as close to unenforceable and unlikely to alleviate what is not too great a problem.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by wetrat0
OP already discussed this (but using a nonstandard term for MCE):
Originally Posted by nittfan
I know that AA currently has bins marked for those who purchased "AAdvantage Extra" seating and are therefore also given a higher boarding group #.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Even with a "generous", by today's standards, 34" seat-pitch, that's only a little over 11" for each passenger's bag. Bag size restrictions usually allow up to 14" of width.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:46 pm

And if you only bring on a personal item...can you demand that "your" overhead space stay empty? Can you "onsell" it?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:05 pm

The last time I flew AA (from MIA), they were announcing at the gate that all bins were full and you had to check your roller bag...OF COURSE (we were almost last to board) there were 3 overhead bins TOTALLY EMPTY!!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by nittfan
When will the airlines do the only rationale thing and match overhead bin space with your ticket?
What would be the point of that when some customers don't bring stuff onboard?
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.