Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flying IB / Iberia: seat selection, finding & using PNR, etc. issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 23, 2019, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Flying Iberia:
Seat selection, ticket, PNR, and related issues

Link to Iberia partner page on aa.com
Link to Iberia Early seat booking policy

NOTE: Once you have selected a seat via a deep link from aa.com, you can't change it (via the same process). AA PNRs are comprised of six letters and are not usable on the Iberia website, but Iberia uses a RESIBER (Iberia’s own host system) five digit operating PNR, but it is not usable for booking seats, etc. on the Iberia website. Iberia itself uses an Amadeus six digit PNR to manage your booking. AA marketed flights / codeshares operated by IB will not generate an Amadeus six digit PNR. Even with the Amadeus PNR, you still may encounter difficulties. It is often impossible to select seats on the website if you purchased tickets elsewhere. (Thanks to Andriyko.)

Originally Posted by C46
The 5-digit code is the one of Resiber, the DCS IB is using for CKI/Gate. Reservations are handled via Amadeus.

If you only have the Resiber-code, talking to IB is the only option. But, as phone agents are mostly not very savvy, you should specifically ask them to check Resiber for the Amadeus-code.
It is there, I can confirm that from first-hand experience.

IB agents only need to display the PNR, with rt(5 digits) - there they'll find the Amadeus record locator, in the first line, behind the third "/".
Generally, calling Iberia via the toll free number (in the US +1-800-772-4642) allows you to request seats, but that may depend on Iberia’s seating policies for different fare types and one’s oneworld status.

At least one member states they were able to use the Qantas Manage My Booking https://www.qantas.com/us/en/manage-booking.html to select seats.

Note: more extensive existing threads on specific issues with Iberia

IB 23 May 2019 split thread into
ARCHIVE through 2017: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html
EARNING EQ: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ed-issues.html
AWARDS: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-airlines.html
Help avoid YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British & IB / Iberia (consolidated)
AA Participating Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)
AA vs. IB comparison / which is better, etc.
Print Wikipost

Flying IB / Iberia: seat selection, finding & using PNR, etc. issues

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AF Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
I had no way of knowing that.

I’d DM back something like “Thanks! That works on Sabre, I still need the six character Amadeus code. Iberia uses both.”
Thanks for the help.... it was in my post that I had asked for that though
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: AA EXP
Thing is, I don't believe you have an Amadeus PNR. The five character Resiber code is all there is, in this case. It'll let you check in, when the time comes.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton D
You can try Qantas.com with your six digit AA PNR and you will get your six digit Amadeus PNR back.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Thomas.T
You can try Qantas.com with your six digit AA PNR and you will get your six digit Amadeus PNR back.
I tried that, and after entering the 6-digit Amadeus PNR on the Iberia web page, I could pull up my reservation, but I could not reserve a seat. But entering the 6-digit Amadeus PNR on the Finnair page gave me the 5-digit code, and there was a link on the Finnair page that took me straight to the Iberia seat selection page.

So...
1. Enter the AA PNR on the Qantas page to get the 6-digit Amadeus PNR.
2. Enter the 6-digit Amadeus PNR on the Finnair page to get the 5-digit code and a direct link to the Iberia seat selection page.
3. Select seats on the Iberia flights.

(Entering the AA PNR directly on Finnair gave an error message)
flying_geek likes this.

Last edited by GFrye; Jan 28, 2019 at 1:22 pm
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
From my experience, the only option to select seats for the IB flight is through the Iberia deeplink in the AA "manage my reservation" page. The five character code is not a Sabre code, but a Resiber code used by Iberia. Once you select your seat for the IB flight, you won't be able to change it later, although you may try to remove the selection by pulling the reservation on Qatar, Air Sri Lanka, or Saudia Air (www.saudia.com) websites using the 6-digit Amadeus PNR. You may be able to access the seat maps there and select a seat. The website most likely won't be able to confirm the seat selection, but this procedure will also remove the seat assigned for your IB flight, and you will be able to select a new one on aa.com

It could be that the 6-digit Amadeus PNR is for some other, non-IB flights in the reservation, such as BA flights. In any case, although you can't see your reservation by entering your AA PNR on Iberia.com, the AA PNR should work there for check-in purposes.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Hi guys,

situation:

1. Booked AA flights via OTA.
2. OTA gave me a PNR. This PNR does not work on AA, (marketing) IB or AY (operating).
3. ETKT printout from OTA contained two further PNRs. One Sabre, one Amadeus.
3a. Sabre one works on AA. Shows 4 legs.
3b. Amadeus one works on IB, AY, but shows 3 legs only.
4. Seat change link on AA sends me to IB page which references 5 letter (Resiber?) code. This code cannot be used to access any MMB.
5. Managed to use the original PNR from OTA on QF. Redirects me to the 3-leg PNR (as does Sabre PNR).

None of these give me an option to add bags. I somehow managed to select seats on first legs via AA link to IB. Second leg is available but all paid.
AY gives me option only to get seats on leg 4. Leg 3 it says online changes are not possible. Leg 2 redirects to IB but doesn't work. Leg 1 missing.

Any idea if there is a way to access the flights elsewhere than AA? I'm ever so slightly worried IB will refuse OLCI and I don't want to try to solve this at 5am at an outstation. (Although at least on IB callcenter they see all flights via AA Sabre PNR. And they see Resiber PNR. But apparently not Amadeus PNR?)
I just want to pay for a bag.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
FWIW

I've had the same situation. AA codeshare on IB. Until I selected seats on AA.COM, I had a link that worked. Once selected, the link disappeared and was never to be seen again. It was explained to me that CODESHARE flights are kept in separate system (database?) and only "loaded" into the main IB reservation system a few days before flight. (Hence no meals could be selected either) Who knows if the explanation is correct?. BUT - my selected seats have remained - 5 of 5 so far. But no changes once selected - so "choose wisely!" (Now if IB only offered Champagne prior to take-off! Heck - not even Cava till inflight )
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
I've had the same situation. AA codeshare on IB. Until I selected seats on AA.COM, I had a link that worked. Once selected, the link disappeared and was never to be seen again.
This is how it is supposed to be. No Amadeus PNR will be generated for an AA*IB codeshare. There is no point in contacting AA via any method to ask for something that does not exist. An operational PNR will be created in Resiber, and the passenger will be allowed to select a seat via a deep link once. Iberia's agents can access the Resiber PNR (calling is required) and help with seat changes.
Booking a prime IB flight through AA (whether as an award or part of a commercial booking) will generate an Amadeus PNR.
SK, Tintin, krzysz and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Andriyko
This is how it is supposed to be. No Amadeus PNR will be generated for an AA*IB codeshare. There is no point in contacting AA via any method to ask for something that does not exist. An operational PNR will be created in Resiber, and the passenger will be allowed to select a seat via a deep link once. Iberia's agents can access the Resiber PNR (calling is required) and help with seat changes.
Booking a prime IB flight through AA (whether as an award or part of a commercial booking) will generate an Amadeus PNR.
This is exactly correct in my experience with my reservation (bought in aa.com, IB flight, codeshare with AA). You can call AA (for codeshare IB flights) and ask for IB PNR. They will give you a 5-dight PNR. This PNR will not work in any sites, including IB's site, prior to the departure date. However IB agents will be able to access your reservation with the 5-dight PNR and can help you re-select seats. Some IB agents (in my experience) don't know how to select/re-assign seats for AA codeshare. You can call back and find an informed agent, or if you are AA EXP, then call the EXP desk and the AA agent can forward your call to IB and have your seat re-assigned. This is my experience.

PS: The following AA document is 100% accurate. When you book a AA codeshare IB flight, follow the instructionds in the following link. I printed a copy and saved it for future!

https://saleslink.aa.com/en-us/blog/...e-flights.html
SK likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by Thomas.T
This is what I use, mostly for my BA flights.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:53 pm

Iberia seat assignment

Buying tickets thru american with no seat purchase allowed, since the flight is serviced by Iberia. Will american airlines give me a PNR number that will work to buy a seat assignment on Iberia web site?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Dee4531
Buying tickets thru american with no seat purchase allowed, since the flight is serviced by Iberia. Will american airlines give me a PNR number that will work to buy a seat assignment on Iberia web site?
Yes. I just booked an ORD-MAD award flight and requested the PNR for the IB flight. I then went onto iberia.com and chose my seat accordingly.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Andriyko
I see a lot of discussion about a deep link on AA's site, but where do you find that link? I assume it would be somewhere on the "Your Trip" (trip summary) page, but I'm not finding it on there anywhere. I have not selected seats with IB, nor have I ever clicked a link to do so previously. Did something change? Am I just flat out missing it? Does anyone remember what it said, or where it would be located?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by bobert24
I see a lot of discussion about a deep link on AA's site, but where do you find that link? I assume it would be somewhere on the "Your Trip" (trip summary) page, but I'm not finding it on there anywhere. I have not selected seats with IB, nor have I ever clicked a link to do so previously. Did something change? Am I just flat out missing it? Does anyone remember what it said, or where it would be located?
If you don't see a seat selection option for your AA*IB codeshare you will need to call IB with the 5 digits Resiber PNR number.
SK and bobert24 like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This thread has been split from a previous thread encompassing other Iberia related topics. Older posts have been archived. The Wikipost has been updated.

Last edited by JDiver; May 24, 2019 at 12:00 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.