FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: 2015-2017 GUIDE: LAX / Los Angeles Int’l. Airport - MCT, Connection, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1949801-archive-2015-2017-guide-lax-los-angeles-int-l-airport-mct-connection-etc.html)

mikespimpin Dec 19, 2015 6:24 pm

The woman I spoke to on the phone said not to worry because the gate agents at the gate for the flight to London can see who has/hasn't boarded and for the people that haven't boarded, if they just landed on another flight they'll know to hold my spot. Whether or not this is actually what the practice is, you guys would know better than me

TWA884 Dec 19, 2015 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by mikespimpin (Post 25890424)
The woman I spoke to on the phone said not to worry because the gate agents at the gate for the flight to London can see who has/hasn't boarded and for the people that haven't boarded, if they just landed on another flight they'll know to hold my spot. Whether or not this is actually what the practice is, you guys would know better than me

Yes, the gate agents know if you are a connecting passenger and whether and when your flight has landed.

One more thing to take into consideration is whether you have any carry on luggage. You'd have to Valet Check it on your AE flight, as the overhead bins are virtually unusable, and it will take time to get your bag(s) at the gate after arriving at LAX.

mikespimpin Dec 19, 2015 9:21 pm

We're checking all of our bags except a small carry on. We're gonna chance it tomorrow and keep our fingers crossed unless it's pouring rain or something

rjw242 Dec 19, 2015 9:25 pm

Yes, they do have that information, but there's no guarantee they'll act on it in your favor. They may (quite reasonably) decide not to hold 300+ other passengers for the sake of one delayed connection, in which case you'd be out of luck.

guv1976 Dec 19, 2015 9:39 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Yes, they do have that information, but there's no guarantee they'll act on it in your favor. They may (quite reasonably) decide not to hold 300+ other passengers for the sake of one delayed connection, in which case you'd be out of luck."

I don't think the suggestion was that the LAX-LHR flight would be held; rather, that the connecting passengers' seats would be held, even if they had not yet boarded at T-30.

rjw242 Dec 19, 2015 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 25890944)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Yes, they do have that information, but there's no guarantee they'll act on it in your favor. They may (quite reasonably) decide not to hold 300+ other passengers for the sake of one delayed connection, in which case you'd be out of luck."

I don't think the suggestion was that the LAX-LHR flight would be held; rather, that the connecting passengers' seats would be held, even if they had not yet boarded at T-30.

Fair enough. Just wanted to dispel the potential (and commonly-held) notion that they'll gladly hold the flight for a delayed pax. In practice there's not much buffer between the seats being given away and the flight departing.

JDiver Dec 19, 2015 10:24 pm

The chance they'll hold the LHR flight for two passengers is that of a snowball surviving for long in the Sahara at midday, IMO. Believe me, I'd worry. Even I if it's seats, the GA will be all about getting the flight on time - with. standbys.

I do wish you all the best luck - you'll need it.

mikespimpin Dec 21, 2015 9:03 am

Quick update- we made it with time to spare. The 77W in J was an awesome ride!

Madison Guy Dec 21, 2015 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by mikespimpin (Post 25896940)

Glad to hear it and happy you enjoyed tour flight. I suspected you would be fine. LAX agents, IME, have been very good about connections, but there is never any guarantee, , as several well-informed members pointed out!

HNL Dec 22, 2015 4:26 pm

Does AA run a bus from T6 to the Eagles Nest? Or does one need to go to T4, then back track to the Eagles Nest?

serfty Dec 22, 2015 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by HNL (Post 25904298)
Does AA run a bus from T6 to the Eagles Nest? Or does one need to go to T4, then back track to the Eagles Nest?

I believe both.

IIRC some buses between T4 and the EaAgles nest stop at T6.

TWA884 Dec 22, 2015 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by HNL (Post 25904298)
Does AA run a bus from T6 to the Eagles Nest?

Yes.

slice Dec 23, 2015 9:11 am

Originally Posted by mikespimpin (Post 25896940)

Well done. As was mentioned, if no major hiccups, it's entirely doable. The fact that you were Row 1 helped. If you had to wait for a second bus (or wait for a gate) it would have gotten dicey. Enjoy the trip!

prw555 Dec 23, 2015 11:07 am

Today's experience 12/23

TBIT security entered at 8.37 am and exit at 9.15 am so 38 minutes to clear. PAX heavy leaving for Christmas. Qantas where expediting PAX. No premium / J line at all. So much for my T4 eagles nest - TBIT connection (SJC - PVG) early in the new year, despite being sold "legal" MCT, at just over and hour.

headinclouds Dec 29, 2015 7:46 am

Easiest security check point at LAX

I’ll be flying LAX-CLT next month, probably departing LAX terminal 6. I want to visit the lounges in terminal 4. Are terminals 4 & 6 connected post security? Is the security checkpoint in terminal 6 easier to use than the one in terminal 4? Thanks...