FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: 2015-2017 GUIDE: LAX / Los Angeles Int’l. Airport - MCT, Connection, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1949801-archive-2015-2017-guide-lax-los-angeles-int-l-airport-mct-connection-etc.html)

spsDC Feb 6, 2016 2:59 am

AA in J/Transiting LAX/36 hr layover/luggage Q

Hi, I've studiously avoided LAX most of my life but will be transiting next week with 36 hrs between 2 AA flights (SYD-LAX and LAX-LHR, both in J)

I have 1 large suitcase which I was hoping not to deal with while in LA (apart from clearing CBP and rechecking) but from reading FT it seems like I might have to

A few questions for those who know LAX better than I do:

1) As an EXP flying in J on separate PNRs, would AA check my bag through to LHR despite the 36 hrs between flights?

2) If yes, is this risky because bag will be lying around? (I rarely check bags but have no choice on this trip)

3) If no, are there any convenient storage options apart from throwing it in trunk of a rental car or Uber?

thanks
spsdc

3Cforme Feb 6, 2016 5:11 am

Originally Posted by spsDC (Post 26141711)
1) As an EXP flying in J on separate PNRs, would AA check my bag through to LHR despite the 36 hrs between flights?

No.

discoverCSG Feb 6, 2016 5:20 am

Hi, I've studiously avoided LAX most of my life but will be transiting next week with 36 hrs between 2 AA flights (SYD-LAX and LAX-LHR, both in J)

I have 1 large suitcase which I was hoping not to deal with while in LA (apart from clearing CBP and rechecking) but from reading FT it seems like I might have to

2) If yes, is this risky because bag will be lying around? (I rarely check bags but have no choice on this trip)

3) If no, are there any convenient storage options apart from throwing it in trunk of a rental car or Uber?

thanks
spsdc

How are you planning to get around in LA?

I assume with a 36-hour layover you'll have a hotel room?

oysterhead43 Feb 6, 2016 6:32 am

Get a room next to the airport. There are lots of hotel options. Most have free shuttles.

JDiver Feb 6, 2016 6:53 am

thanks
spsdc

Eleven hours, iirc, would be the maximum time for checking baggage through. The airline will certainly not check a bag through with a 36 hour connection.

Most U.S. airports eliminated baggage storage after 9/11.

Your baggage will have to accompany you, or you will have to use LAX Luggage Storage: http://www.laxluggagestorage.com will come, fetch, store and deliver your bag. Probably $12 to store, $5 to pick up and $5 to deliver back.

spsDC Feb 6, 2016 2:47 pm

thanks for the info. sounds like schlepping it around is only option... I'll just grab an Uber and leave bag at a friend's place until I head back to airport the next day

Lootsy1031 Feb 6, 2016 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by spsDC (Post 26144118)
thanks for the info. sounds like schlepping it around is only option... I'll just grab an Uber and leave bag at a friend's place until I head back to airport the next day

Uber will not pick up at LAX. But Lyft will (weirdly, on the departures level).

TWA884 Feb 6, 2016 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Lootsy1031 (Post 26144790)
Uber will not pick up at LAX.

That is incorrect!

As of Thursday, January 21, 2016, Uber is allowed to pick up passengers at LAX.

gooseman13 Feb 19, 2016 10:13 am

Anybody know MCT from AA->JL at LAX? [ORD-LAX-NRT]. Thanks!

joey_12 Feb 19, 2016 11:34 am

LAX Transfer Enough Time?

Sorry if this is not too related!
I am thinking of booking from London to Vancouver via LAX with American as it is much cheaper than a direct with BA on my selected days.

Schedule:
AA109 Arrives 15:55 from LHR

AA5986 Departs 19:05 for YVR

My questions:
Would this be a viable connection?
Would I need to take my baggage and check in again?
Do I arrive at TBIT or Terminal 4 from London?

I've never transferred at LAX before (but I have at DFW & MIA), so would like some helpful insight! :)

AyeCaramba Feb 19, 2016 11:56 am

Originally Posted by joey_12 (Post 26211915)
My questions:
Would this be a viable connection?
Would I need to take my baggage and check in again?
Do I arrive at TBIT or Terminal 4 from London?

I've never transferred at LAX before (but I have at DFW & MIA), so would like some helpful insight! :)

Timings for your connection are fine - AA will protect you anyway. Immigration can be a mixed bag at LAX (I've had anything between 10 mins and 2 hours) but your schedule should be fine.

Even if your bag is checked through from LHR you'll still need to claim it at LAX to take through customs - in theory you can drop this off at connections but I'd pick it up then take to AA to recheck for your onward flight

You'll arrive at TBIT (ETA - I'd thought you were incoming on BA so arrivals at TBIT is correct. If you're on the AA arrival this could land at either but (I think) you'll be routed through TBIT to clear immigration and customs) and (most likely) depart from T4 - these buildings are next to each other and it's a 5 min walk. Once you come out of customs exit TBIT and turn right directly out of the building. The next building you'll come to is T4 - take the escalator up one level to departures and you're there

Don't forget to pop into the Flagship Lounge if you have time - it's one of AA's best lounges in North America

joey_12 Feb 19, 2016 12:12 pm

Cheers!

Originally Posted by AyeCaramba (Post 26212082)
Timings for your connection are fine - AA will protect you anyway. Immigration can be a mixed bag at LAX (I've had anything between 10 mins and 2 hours) but your schedule should be fine.

Even if your bag is checked through from LHR you'll still need to claim it at LAX to take through customs - in theory you can drop this off at connections but I'd pick it up then take to AA to recheck for your onward flight

You'll arrive at TBIT (ETA - I'd thought you were incoming on BA so arrivals at TBIT is correct. If you're on the AA arrival this could land at either but (I think) you'll be routed through TBIT to clear immigration and customs) and (most likely) depart from T4 - these buildings are next to each other and it's a 5 min walk. Once you come out of customs exit TBIT and turn right directly out of the building. The next building you'll come to is T4 - take the escalator up one level to departures and you're there

Don't forget to pop into the Flagship Lounge if you have time - it's one of AA's best lounges in North America

WOW! @AyeCaramba Thank you so much for the quick reply!!! This is great advice and you've made it much clearer for me :) I shall definitely take a look at the flagship lounge there!

TWA884 Feb 19, 2016 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by joey_12 (Post 26211915)
AA5986 Departs 19:05 for YVR

You'll arrive at TBIT... and (most likely) depart from T4 - these buildings are next to each other and it's a 5 min walk.

AA 5986 is operated by Compass Airlines, so it departs from the American Eagle regional terminal (see map), the so called Eagle's Nest. You need to factor in an additional 15-30 minutes, including wait time, for the bus ride from T4 to the remote terminal.

That being said, you should have enough time to comfortably make the connection.

https://www.aa.com/content/images/ab...rminal-lax.jpg

serfty Feb 19, 2016 7:39 pm

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:

Minimum Connect Times:
Connecting at LAX
Incoming airline AA, Outgoing airline JL, Flight type Domestic to International

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE  1.10  1.30  2.00  2.00
OFFLINE  1.10  1.30  2.00  2.00
** OR * ARE ALL
AA-JL DI  .40 FLT    1 - 2729 - FLT 7000 - 7999 TRM 4  - **
  OPN    -17FEB16
AA-JL DI  1.00 FLT    1 - 5999 - FLT 7000 - 7999 TRM 6  - **
AA-JL DI  .45 FLT 2730 - 5999 - FLT 7000 - 7999 TRM 4  - **
AA-JL DI  .40 FLT    1 - 2739 - FLT 7000 - 7999 TRM 4  - **
  18FEB16-INF   
AA-JL DI  1.30 FLT 2730 - 5999 - ALL 
AA-** DI SUP  FLT 6000 - 9099 - ALL

Radiant Flyer Feb 19, 2016 10:11 pm

People have different taste, but I found the LAX Flagship Lounge disappointing, it's dark and ugly, food was pretty bad. There are much better lounges in North America that are not even flagship.

I also like to add, it took me over 2 hours to connect yesterday. GRU - LAX - SFO, it was the worst experience I have had at any airport, and this is a new terminal??? WHAT A JOKE! LAX is like being in a 3rd world country, disorganized, cramped and SLOW!!!

Never LAX again, JFK, DFW and SFO much, much better.