FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: 2015-2017 GUIDE: LAX / Los Angeles Int’l. Airport - MCT, Connection, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1949801-archive-2015-2017-guide-lax-los-angeles-int-l-airport-mct-connection-etc.html)

corncob Aug 23, 2015 7:19 pm

ARCHIVE: 2015-2017 GUIDE: LAX / Los Angeles Int’l. Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

I'm looking for some advice on the best way to approach a 1hr35m non-MCT conn in LAX that gets me direct to DEN vs waiting an extra 3 to 6 hours for a one-stop or non-stop flight, respectively.

Details
1) Arriving on QF15 BNE-LAX at 6:25am. I know arrival time varies depending on flight time and how far away the plane parks in the annex terminals.

2) Flights for LAX-DEN, only looking at OW/AA partners at this point.
A) AA5932: Dep 8am; Arr 11:29am, nonstop
B) AA491/AA1951: Dep 10:05am, Arr 3:02pm, Conn PHX
C) AA225/AA1634: Dep 9:30am, Arr 4:46pm, Conn DFW
D) AA5903: Dep 2:50pm, Arr 6:14pm, nonstop
3) I won't be in the front of the plane, so I won't be the first off unless a FA will agree to help me out in that respect.

4) I'll have checked luggage to collect and transfer. If this shows up later than me in DEN though, that's fine.

5) I need to get to DEN by 2pm if at all possible. 6pm isn't feasible, with my current schedule.

Strategy/Options

A) Book Flight A on a separate ticket and hustle to make the connection, and check-in online before leaving BNE. However, because it doesn't meet the MCT, I see two possible issues. If I hit a delay I believe AA isn't obligated to put me on a later flight via their AA/OW separate ticket connection policy. The MCT window might also cause issues interlining baggage with the Qantas desk in BNE. I would welcome some input on both those issues, especially any real-world experiences. Or any other hiccups/restrictions you see.

B) Book Flight B on the same PNR, and try to sweet-talk my way onto Flight A once I get to LAX, time permitting. I successfully did this when I went through a year ago with plenty of extra time, but it involved me lugging my baggage to T4 because they couldn't make the change at the TBIT transfer desk. When I got to T4, they still couldn't confirm me, so I went to the gate and luckily got moved from standby to confirmed. My bags also made it, thanks to some hard work by a gate agent. I was only AA Silver at that time, if that makes any difference. Does AA Plat make this option any smoother, by chance?

Option A is much riskier with potential consequences, but would guarantee me a seat if I can make it. Option B is much safer, but I could hustle to connect and not get a seat.

HNL Aug 23, 2015 9:03 pm

2 hours

corncob Aug 23, 2015 9:19 pm

Thanks HNL :cool:

I actually had a question related to the MCT, but I believe when I went to edit it, I screwed up the thread. Here's the original text.

I'm looking for some advice on the best way to approach a 1hr35m non-MCT conn in LAX that gets me direct to DEN vs waiting an extra 3 to 6 hours for a one-stop or non-stop flight, respectively.

1) Arriving on QF15 BNE-LAX at 6:25am. I know arrival time varies depending on flight time and how far away the plane parks in the annex terminals.

2) Options for LAX-DEN, only looking at OW/AA partners at this point.
A) AA5932: Dep 8am; Arr 11:29am, nonstop
B) AA491/AA1951: Dep 10:05am, Arr 3:02pm, Conn PHX
C) AA225/AA1634: Dep 9:30am, Arr 4:46pm, Conn DFW
D) AA5903: Dep 2:50pm, Arr 6:14pm, nonstop
3) I won't be in the front of the plane, so I won't be the first off unless a FA will agree to help me out in that respect.

4) I'll have checked luggage to collect and transfer. If this shows up later than me in DEN though, that's fine.

5) I need to get to DEN by 2pm if at all possible. 6pm isn't feasible, with my current schedule.

The way I see it, I have two options.

A) Book Flight A on a separate ticket and hustle to make the connection, and check-in online before leaving BNE. However, because it doesn't meet the MCT, I see two possible issues. If I hit a delay I believe AA isn't obligated to put me on a later flight via their AA/OW separate ticket connection policy. The MCT window might also cause issues interlining baggage with the Qantas desk in BNE. I would welcome some input on both those issues, especially any real-world experiences. Or any other hiccups/restrictions you see.

B) Book Flight B on the same PNR, and try to sweet-talk my way onto Flight A once I get to LAX, time permitting. I successfully did this when I went through a year ago with plenty of extra time, but it involved me lugging my baggage to T4 because they couldn't make the change at the TBIT transfer desk. When I got to T4, they still couldn't confirm me, so I went to the gate and luckily got moved from standby to confirmed. My bags also made it, thanks to some hard work by a gate agent. I was only AA Silver at that time, if that makes any difference. Does AA Plat make this option any smoother, by chance?

Option A is much riskier with potential consequences, but would guarantee me a seat if I can make it. Option B is much safer, but I could hustle to connect and not get a seat.
Mods, if my original post shows back up, free feel to blow this one into oblivion :D

AAExpDFW Aug 23, 2015 10:13 pm

Book option 2 in the same PNR. I've never been a fan of separate PNRs. More over, you are openly trying to break the MCT rules that are in place for this very reason. Why risk it and just accept the published flights and arrive with no issues?

corncob Aug 23, 2015 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW (Post 25317181)
Book option 2 in the same PNR. I've never been a fan of separate PNRs. More over, you are openly trying to break the MCT rules that are in place for this very reason. Why risk it and just accept the published flights and arrive with no issues?

Thanks AAExpDFW.

I need to be there before 2pm, if at all possible. Thus me considering the first option. Unfortunately, I can't leave BNE a day earlier, either.

With Option 2 (same PNR, and Flight B), is there anything I can do on the LAX transfer to increase my chances of getting on the earlier direct flight (Flight A) to DEN? Is there a suggested way to go about it, or a way to get confirmed on the flight before going through security in T4? Last time, they required that I go to the gate and prove I was there before giving me a seat.

hiima Aug 24, 2015 12:20 am

Originally Posted by hartlogan (Post 25317243)
Thanks AAExpDFW.

I need to be there before 2pm, if at all possible. Thus me considering the first option. Unfortunately, I can't leave BNE a day earlier, either.

With Option 2 (same PNR, and Flight B), is there anything I can do on the LAX transfer to increase my chances of getting on the earlier direct flight (Flight A) to DEN? Is there a suggested way to go about it, or a way to get confirmed on the flight before going through security in T4? Last time, they required that I go to the gate and prove I was there before giving me a seat.

Go to a check in desk. They may be able to confirm you onto the earlier flight if you have at least 30 min from the check in desk to departure.

Exec_Plat Aug 24, 2015 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by hartlogan (Post 25316698)
I'm looking for some advice on the best way to approach a 1hr35m non-MCT conn in LAX .

My travel agent can override the MCT pop-up in Sabre and book and ticket flights that do not comply with the MCT.

This is done knowing im a big boy and will deal with consequences.

The upside is I book the ticket as one ticket.

The good news is if I had a bag checked (only 2 times in the last 150k miles) that checked back would not prevent me from getting onto the earlier flight. if I physically get to the earlier flight, I am golden.

If I miss it, I am on standby.

or... maybe hold a changeable booking on a later flight (award or paid). If you make the early you cancel, if you miss the early you bight the bullet.

Again, an agent can override.

corncob Aug 24, 2015 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by hiima (Post 25317423)
Go to a check in desk. They may be able to confirm you onto the earlier flight if you have at least 30 min from the check in desk to departure.

Thanks hiima, if I go with the safe option, that will definitely be my plan of action.

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat (Post 25320805)
My travel agent can override the MCT pop-up in Sabre and book and ticket flights that do not comply with the MCT.

This is done knowing im a big boy and will deal with consequences.

The upside is I book the ticket as one ticket.

The good news is if I had a bag checked (only 2 times in the last 150k miles) that checked back would not prevent me from getting onto the earlier flight. if I physically get to the earlier flight, I am golden.

If I miss it, I am on standby.

or... maybe hold a changeable booking on a later flight (award or paid). If you make the early you cancel, if you miss the early you bight the bullet.

Again, an agent can override.

Thanks Exec_Plat, that's the sort of experience I was hoping someone could provide. I do realize a checked bag definitely complicates things.

Have you missed it before, and successfully been allowed to standby without paying for an additional ticket? If so, were you EXP at the time (for reference)?

I have no problem going the standby route, as there's several ways to Denver late in the day. And if I don't make the 2pm deadline, it doesn't matter if I get in at 3pm or 12am.

Exec_Plat Aug 24, 2015 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by hartlogan (Post 25321309)

Thanks Exec_Plat, that's the sort of experience I was hoping someone could provide. I do realize a checked bag definitely complicates things.

Have you missed it before, and successfully been allowed to standby without paying for an additional ticket? If so, were you EXP at the time (for reference)?

I have no problem going the standby route, as there's several ways to Denver late in the day. And if I don't make the 2pm deadline, it doesn't matter if I get in at 3pm or 12am.

Ive been a CK for a while, so my experience isnt of much value as a comparator.

I have not done that for an intl to domestic at LAX. yes D to D, at LAX as well as DFW. Ive not missed.

If it blew up, Id expense it- so dont confuse my blase attitude with assurance.

Having said that, as a coach pax, with bags and no global entry? Id be nervous. F, no bags, GE and ive made it from plane at T4, onto a shuttle, over to TBIT and back to T4 through flagship and into T4 in ~20 minutes. But if the inbound flight is late, all the on-the-ground speed in the world is no use.

As a back up to standby, you can hold a coach saver or worst case an anytime, on a later flight. Might burn that if standby looks ugly. if you dont need it, as an EP its free. Depends on your balance.

Overall, Id like to plan for success and if the gamble on timing is OK, then nothing stupid, like an agent saying no, would ruin the plan. In my scenario you are biasing towards success against possible cost. ..... In the 'reserve later, beg sooner flight' scenario you are protected against financial risk, but leaving more to chance (timing has to work PLUS agent must agree)

Edit- just saw you are PLT. are award cancellations free?

QueenOfCoach Aug 24, 2015 4:51 pm

Priority and Preferred Access: YES
Jdiver: Excellent summary. I have only one suggestion.

Indicate that the door to the Priority Access can be viewed from the upper (departures) roadway. As you make the turn past TBIT and see Terminal 4 (now clearly marked with large "4" signs") you first past the doors to the regular check-in area. A bit farther down is the door marked "Priority Access", then just a few steps farther is the "Flagship" check-in doors.

If possible, get your driver to drop you off at the Priority Access or Flagship doors if you so qualify.

If you do not qualify for Priority Access, then get dropped near the first set of doors you see after passing TBIT where you will enter the main check-in area.

corncob Aug 24, 2015 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat (Post 25321704)
Ive been a CK for a while, so my experience isnt of much value as a comparator.

I have not done that for an intl to domestic at LAX. yes D to D, at LAX as well as DFW. Ive not missed.

If it blew up, Id expense it- so dont confuse my blase attitude with assurance.

Having said that, as a coach pax, with bags and no global entry? Id be nervous. F, no bags, GE and ive made it from plane at T4, onto a shuttle, over to TBIT and back to T4 through flagship and into T4 in ~20 minutes. But if the inbound flight is late, all the on-the-ground speed in the world is no use.

As a back up to standby, you can hold a coach saver or worst case an anytime, on a later flight. Might burn that if standby looks ugly. if you dont need it, as an EP its free. Depends on your balance.

Overall, Id like to plan for success and if the gamble on timing is OK, then nothing stupid, like an agent saying no, would ruin the plan. In my scenario you are biasing towards success against possible cost. ..... In the 'reserve later, beg sooner flight' scenario you are protected against financial risk, but leaving more to chance (timing has to work PLUS agent must agree)

Edit- just saw you are PLT. are award cancellations free?

Despite the difference in status, your experience is still extremely valuable in terms of making me consider different variables.

Award cancellations are $125 150 for redepositing the points as PLT, I believe. And I can only hold an award for 2 hrs prior to the departure, so putting one on hold within 24 hours of departure wouldn't work - as I wouldn't know yes/no 2 hours before departure, if available at that point.

I appreciate the note on the expense part, that is good to know. Although I wouldn't be expensing it, the only way I would take the risk is fully knowing I may incur a rough estimate of cost should things completely fall apart.

It really comes down to the financial risk vs the potential reward, and if I'm comfortable with that. And how much of that risk do I want to hedge up front in cost, if I do take that risk.

All that said, I'm not looking for anyone to tell me "yes, you'll for sure make it" or anything of that nature, or pick Option A/B. I was most interested in what unintended consequences I may not be considering, in order to fully weigh the risk vs reward of both options. And you've done an excellent job with that. Thank you, good sir ^

AAerSTL Aug 24, 2015 6:01 pm

The roadway singnage at LAX indicates AA Priority AAccess, AA Flagship, and also DeltaOne (DLs imitation of Flagship Check-in) and denotes them as it identifies actual airlines on their respective terminal signage.

corncob Aug 24, 2015 7:00 pm

Does anyone know if there's an AAgent at the TBIT I->D bag drop? If attempting to switch to an earlier flight or go standby, I'm thinking it's best not to stop there and instead speedwalk w/ bags over to T4 to Priority check-in.

AAerSTL Aug 24, 2015 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by hartlogan (Post 25322526)
Does anyone know if there's an AAgent at the TBIT I->D bag drop? If attempting to switch to an earlier flight or go standby, I'm thinking it's best not to stop there and instead speedwalk w/ bags over to T4 to Priority check-in.

Should be at the transfer desk.

JDiver Aug 24, 2015 11:22 pm

AA usually will provide onward reaccommodation if an AA flight is missed connecting from a oneworld flight, even on separate tickets.

An award redemption being redeposited is $150.

MCT, they're often not flexible about that; you might be accommodated on the earlier flight, but it's risky and dependent on time, flight capacity, etc.

Exec_Plat Aug 25, 2015 1:22 am

Originally Posted by hartlogan (Post 25322526)

I was burned once... No real agents to look at options, only bag drop. Had to drag bag to t4

Don't count on it

corncob Aug 25, 2015 2:47 pm

Thanks JDiver & Exec_Plat, all good data points. I think I'm going to book the safe option and try to head straight for T4 to get a confirmed seat or go standby.

clubman Sep 8, 2015 6:00 am

LAX: 85 min connection time from International to domestic (non US) - doable?

Hi guys,

Never tried such a (relatively) short connection at LAX and wondering whether it's realistic? would be from LHR connecting to LAS and both on AA so same terminal...

I guess it's down to whether I have to clear customs at LAX or LAS?

Thanks!

guv1976 Sep 8, 2015 6:18 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by clubman
Hi guys,

Never tried such a (relatively) short connection at LAX and wondering whether it's realistic? would be from LHR connecting to LAS and both on AA so same terminal...

I guess it's down to whether I have to clear customs at LAX or LAS?

Thanks!

In the U.S., all passengers clear Customs and Immigration at their port of entry -- LAX in your case.

guv1976 Sep 8, 2015 6:26 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

The only exception to the above -- not applicable in your case -- is for passengers departing from a foreign airport that has a U.S. Preclearance facility.

Often1 Sep 8, 2015 6:48 am

OP - Presuming here that you are not a US National and that you have checked luggage. Don't know your citizenship, so don't know if you have any document issues.

Eighty-five minutes is doable, but awfully tight. The more important question is, what is Plan B? Are there later flights to LAS on AA? If so and they have availability, if you misconnect, you will be rebooked.

It's a very short flight, often <30 minutes in the air, so even if you wind up in a lousy seat for the LAS segment, it's a micro-hop.

As with all US entries, you will clear both Immigration & Customs at your first port of entry or earlier. In this case, that is LAX. At LAS you are a domestic arrival.

clubman Sep 8, 2015 7:06 am

Thanks guys! ^

ShortDog Sep 8, 2015 9:26 am

I connect from an inbound LHR flight into TBIT to an outbound T4 flight once a month. I have GE and never check a bag, and can usually exit TBIT within 20 minutes of landing. About half the time I am able to move to an earlier connecting flight that wouldn't have been legal because of the MCT rule.

JDiver Sep 8, 2015 11:03 am

Originally Posted by ShortDog (Post 25393032)
I connect from an inbound LHR flight into TBIT to an outbound T4 flight once a month. I have GE and never check a bag, and can usually exit TBIT within 20 minutes of landing. About half the time I am able to move to an earlier connecting flight that wouldn't have been legal because of the MCT rule.

That reflects my experience - as long as my incoming aircraft doesn't arrive at the west remote bus gates. The worst was when the jetway operator had to be replaced because he couldn't get the jet bridge to mate with the aircraft.

But even if... some airlines will not allow the MCT violation.

scottishpoet Oct 5, 2015 4:40 pm

I am transitting through LAX T4

LAS-LAX
LAX-LHR

All with AA

Will I need to reclear security at LAX or can I stay airside?

JDiver Oct 5, 2015 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by scottishpoet (Post 25522436)
I am transitting through LAX T4

LAS-LAX
LAX-LHR

All with AA

Will I need to reclear security at LAX or can I stay airside?

No worries.

Even if you were arriving at the Eagle remote terminal and departing T-4, you're still airside.

Cloudship Nov 13, 2015 8:43 am

Does anyone know what time the shops inside the T-4 secure area close? Will they be still open if my flight arrives at 11:30pm?

ridepow Nov 25, 2015 12:39 pm

No Priority Security at LAX??

How is there no priority security line at LAX?!

I've been flying to or through LAX a bunch lately and thought the first couple of times it was a fluke, but it seems like there is no priority security at all at LAX. Am I missing something?

Even the tiny airport in Reno has a priority line.

sombrachinesca Nov 25, 2015 12:40 pm

Isn't it upstairs?

msv777 Nov 25, 2015 12:50 pm

There is one upstairs. It's usually packed though. The TSA-PRE line is the way to go if you have the privilege to use it.

Cheers.

michaelpop Nov 25, 2015 12:55 pm

T4 doesn't seem to have a priority line but if I recall correctly T6 does.

slice Nov 25, 2015 1:02 pm

There's usually someone patrolling the escalator near the T4 premium door when you first walk in. Usually it's only Priority and PRE allowed in.

Haven't noticed though. I (fingers crossed) haven't had a bad line there in a while.

Thumper Nov 25, 2015 2:16 pm

Far left side of the terminal, against the wall is the escalator. There is almost always someone there checking credentials. PreCheck is at the top, left side.

TSparky Nov 25, 2015 2:39 pm

Yes, in terminal 4 the line Dragon at the east escalator checks for Pre or Priority. Once at the top, Pre is on the left and Priority on the right. Priority is still much shorter than standard check.

AlwaysAisle Nov 25, 2015 2:57 pm

LAX T4 (AA terminal) used to have dedicated elite security area segregated from mortals. Then TSA-Pre came along, where there were two bag scanners at the elite security area, one was dedicated to TSA-Pre and one was dedicated to elite travelers. Back then TSA-Pre was still new and not many people were using TSA-Pre, usually lines at elite travelers X-ray baggage scanner people had waiting to go through the security but TSA-Pre X-ray baggage scanner was left empty not being used. TSA did not let elite travelers use TSA-Pre dedicated X-ray baggage scanner when it was not being used by TSA-Pre travelers, which irritated few elite travelers. TSA-Pre walked through X-ray machine, where elite travelers walked through nudo-scope, which that also irritated few elite travelers. It was bit little entertaining to see some elite travelers voicing their dissatisfaction to TSA agent working at the elite/TSA-Pre while waiting on line to go through the security.

Then I think change came about two years ago, if you remember those over there at Washington, D.C. did not pass the budget and government shut down started. TSA were forced to shrink operation, also. At LAX T4 they consolidated elite security and regular security line for mortals. However, there were and still today at the bottom of the escalator at Premium Check-In area where there is a checker checking boarding passes and only allowing TSA-Pre and elite travelers up that specify escalator.

I think now security setting at LAX T4 is not much different than other airports. There are separate lines for elite travelers for ID check. However, once ID check is complete the elite travelers get mixed with mortals for X-ray baggage screening and nudo-scope walk through. I know there are some elite travelers do not like to come within certain distance of mortal travelers, but that is life. :p

My home airport was LAX for 12 years plus, and I always thought being an elite had advantage for ease of going through the security. If I did not have an elite status, then especially during holiday season I would have easily added one hour plus for going through the security at LAX.

corncob Nov 25, 2015 3:39 pm

In the last year, I've had several different experiences going through LAX security.

T4 TSA-Pre: Has been pretty backed up most of the time I've gone through. Still faster than "mortal security" haha, but there has been a queue at the escalator.

T4 priority, non TSA-Pre: Still went up the same escalator, but after getting up there the agent shut down the 'priority' entrance door and we got funneled down to the mortal line. There were some pretty pissed off people, especially as the door reopened 5 minutes later and we weren't allowed to go back to that line.

TBIT priority: This was significantly longer than the mortal line. The officer was on a power trip though and threatened a man who tried to reverse direction and go join the mortal line. The mortal line emptied, and the same officer still wouldn't allow anyone to go over to that ID check or scanner. I really thought a few people were going to be detained.

drewp123 Nov 25, 2015 3:47 pm

MIA most often doesn't have priority. At best only one of the checkpoints has it.

This is what gave me the final push to finally apply for Global Entry (because it comes with TSA Pre)!

AlwaysAisle Nov 25, 2015 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by hartlogan (Post 25772422)
T4 TSA-Pre: Has been pretty backed up most of the time I've gone through. Still faster than "mortal security" haha, but there has been a queue at the escalator.

I have seen that at my current home airport, CLE, also. One of the flight I got talking with elderly retired couple on the trip sitting next to me on the flight. The couple was not frequent traveler and they pretty much let a travel agent do all the work. After talking with this couple, I got the impression that travel agents are pushing their customers to get TSA-Pre giving the reason can get through airport security faster.

This couple said their travel agent got them a pass to go through airport security faster. This couple did not know TSA-Pre is a fee based service, this couple did not know that there was cost involved in getting this “security pass.” I am guessing this travel agent charged this elderly couple little extra fee for application process for TSA-Pre. However, this elderly couple did not have any idea what they paid for what and what each cost them, all they knew were how much they paid in grad total. The couple was sitting in MCE, with them not having a status and did not purchase full economy fare, again sounded this couple did not know their MCE seat cost them extra. I am afraid that the travel agent charged this couple little extra fee for getting them MCE. Again, this couple told me that their travel agent got them this little better seat on the flight.

I got the impression that the couple were under the impression that their travel agent has some connection and getting them stuff which they were not eligible. The couple seems not know that all those service were available to everybody if willing to pay fee. Most likely couple did pay fees for those extra but did not know.

If that is the case, it makes sense what I have seen at TSA-Pre line at my home airport CLE. There are many obviously not frequent travelers on TSA-Pre at CLE. Often that is slowing down TSA-Pre line at CLE. Often they are asking questions to TSA agent because they are not familiar with the procedure. I often see that the elite security line at CLE moving faster than TSA-Pre line. This is the reason I have not got TSA-Pre, yet. From what I have observed at CLE it looks as TSA-Pre can be waste of money since the elite security line is moving faster than TSA-Pre.

michaelpop Nov 25, 2015 5:20 pm

Well you learn something new every day! Thanks FT! Always thought that the TSA line at the far left of the terminal was solely for TSA; didn't know that was also the priority line! I'll have to check that out next time. ^

superpanjy Nov 28, 2015 12:51 am

Urgent. at LAX from T4 to TBIT time [to merge]

SFO-LAX-PVG, passenger only has about 53 minutes from T4 gate 47 to ITIB.
Does the passenger has to go out of T4 then walk to TBIT and go through TSA again?
Is there any terminal connection?

Thank you so much