FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: 2015-2017 GUIDE: LAX / Los Angeles Int’l. Airport - MCT, Connection, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1949801-archive-2015-2017-guide-lax-los-angeles-int-l-airport-mct-connection-etc.html)

puls Jan 12, 2018 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 29112652)
The bus ride itself is about five minutes. The variable factor is how many people are waiting for the bus (and I always think they can squeeze more people than they do onto the buses, but what do I know). I would probably depart the QF lounge 45–50 minutes before departure time. 5–10 minute walk to the bus (depending on how fast you walk), 5–10 minutes waiting, and 5 minute ride over to the Eagles' Nest should put you there just before or at the start of boarding. There's also a lounge over there at the Nest, so you could pop in if you have extra time.

To follow up on this, the entire journey from the QF Lounge to gate 52A took 13 minutes and 51 seconds, of which 6 minutes was the walk from the lounge to the bus.

But it seemed like all the stars were aligned for me today, as my incoming flight was a bit early, Global Entry took no time whatsoever, there was no line for transfer security at TBIT, and I boarded a bus with no wait that was already ready to depart.

I can easily see how the transfer could have taken twice as long.

huggin Jan 14, 2018 12:09 am

Is 1 hour enough to transfer from A Eagle to AA international in LAX? (to merge)

If it's enough, I will book the tickets right now.

Gino Troian Jan 14, 2018 12:11 am

you should be fine...

huggin Jan 14, 2018 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Gino Troian (Post 29290266)
you should be fine...

Thank you very much for the rapid reply...

mikew99 Jan 14, 2018 1:12 am

I'm not sure that I would book this connection unless I had a backup plan. In addition to the typical delays that can scuttle such a short connection, the shuttle ride to the terminal can be very unpredictable....

davie355 Jan 14, 2018 1:45 am

Is the Eagle flight a morning or afternoon departure? (Early AM is less risky)

Can you limit yourself to 1 "personal item" sized carry-on? (Waiting for a gate-checked bag will cut into your connection time)

Are you familiar with the AA terminals at LAX, and are you proficient in checking flight status? (I often see harried connecting travelers running in the wrong direction and/or failing to notice a gate change)

broland Jan 14, 2018 1:55 am

American Eagle gates are at Terminal 5 and AA is at Terminal 4. You need to take the shuttle between terminals. I think it's very risky.

BSBtraveller Jan 14, 2018 4:08 am

Are you a gambling man? Do you cope well with stress? If not, I’d avoid it.

SeattleDavid Jan 14, 2018 4:25 am

I'd say that it also depends where your Eagle flight is coming from. In winter flights from SFO-LAX are horribly weather-affected – no problem on a nice dry day, but low clouds and rain and southerly winds can lead to the LAX flights being cancelled and badly delayed.

Secondly it depends where you are going internationally and what the alternatives are if you are late (for example, London has 5 flights a day on AA / BA, but I don't know about other destinations).

In simple terms, if you can book the ticket then it must be a legal connection and so they will look after you, but the fact that it is a legal connection doesn't mean the same as a guaranteed connection.

Zacnlinc Jan 14, 2018 5:23 am

I would be skeptical to book this flight even if it's a legal connection as well.

Last st month I did the SFO-LAX 7:30 pm shuffle to TBIT and upon arriving at T5, there were two queues almost to the outer walls on both sides of the terminal. Although the line did move pretty fast, I would have been stressed about making a flight even though I made it to TBIT under an hour. I was heading over to Qantas FL to kill time before my T4 flight departed.

embarcadero1 Jan 14, 2018 5:38 am

Absolutely not. Don't do it.

Two reasons: first, most every airport served by American Eagle s subject to frequent weather delays, as is LAX. I often connect in LAX from SFO and the delays are routine.

Second, to go from what is euphemistically called the "Eagle's nest" to the rest of the airport requires you to stand in line and take a bus. Under good circumstances, this can take 30 minutes.

IADCAflyer Jan 14, 2018 6:30 am

I would not be comfortable with a 1 hour connection. I've waited 15 minutes for the stupid bus at the Eagles nest to even show up. And then, its a slow conga line from the nest to T4/T5 area.

I'd also suggest you assess where your international connection is bound for. Are you connecting to the last international flight of the day or is there a backup if you miss your connection?

whimike Jan 14, 2018 7:25 am

Originally Posted by broland (Post 29290453)
American Eagle gates are at Terminal 5 and AA is at Terminal 4. You need to take the shuttle between terminals. I think it's very risky.

Say what? AE flies into the Eagles Nest, it is not Terminal 5.

Originally Posted by embarcadero1 (Post 29290850)
Second, to go from what is euphemistically called the "Eagle's nest" to the rest of the airport requires you to stand in line and take a bus. Under good circumstances, this can take 30 minutes.

I have flown into the Eagle's Nest about 20-25 times and it has never taken anywhere remotely close to 30 minutes. On average it takes me about 10-15 minutes to get to T4. Certainly it could take 30 minutes, but I would consider that to be an outlier and to be under the worst circumstances. Every time I have been there, there have been multiple buses running and rarely had to wait more than 5 minutes for a bus to arrive.

MCT according to AA is 90 minutes domestic to international. If arriving at Eagle's Next you would take the bus to T4 then walk to TBIT via the air-side walkway. Can it be done in 60 minutes? Yes, if everything aligns well and you don't mind being stressed. 90 minutes I would consider the most realistic minimum time. If you decide to chance it and if you are on separate tickets, make sure you can check-in inline for your international flight (often easier said that done). I don't think you can be on the same ticket as 60 minuets doesn't meet MCT.

For the current thread, please see here.