Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 Voluntary Award Change: date, time, routing, airline, co-terminal, cost

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Voluntary Award Changes Questionsfor carrier, co-terminal, date, destination, add / drop a segment, origin, routing, cancellation
AAnytime <-> MileSAAver and other changes

Link to the current thread.

NOTE: For involuntary award changes (caused by the operating carriers), see Involuntary Award Changes / What To Do (merged threads).

Ordinarily, one must call to request or make changes to award tickets.

Award changes, ordinary

NOTE: More extensive listing of terms and conditions are listed in oneworld and other all partner awards rules, Information 2015 on

Award carrier, connection, date or routing changes: As long as origin and destination (but read on for exceptions such as first / last segment) remain the same, change / award redeposit fees are usually waived for awards under certain circumstances when date, connection, routing or carrier changes are made But:
Airline / carrier changes incur no change or redeposit fees as long as you do not try to change between all AA oneworld airlines and non-oneworld airlines or vice versa.

E.g. an AA award such as SEA-HNL-SYD using AS can not be changed to use JL without requiring award redeposit. An award using AA LAX-HKG can be changed to JL via NRT or CX Without redeposit ing miles.

If Maximum Permitted Miles (usually 125% of the most direct available routing) for an award is exceeded, two awards may be charged

or

MSC fare requirements: The most significant or prevailing carrier, usually the one with the transoceanic sector, must offer an unconstructed fare between desired origin and destination; if a fare would require "married segments", two awards may be required.
Award validity: Awards must be used within one year of original booking. For travel beyond that, the award miles will have to be redeposited and new awards secured.

Award cancellations can be by phone or online, but online cancellation requires separate action to reinstate the miles. Canceling online does not request or result in miles redeposit.

Award miles reinstatement: Redeposit fees are waived for Executive Platinum members. See here for more information on award miles reinstatement.

"Upgrading" class of service by using miles requires redepositing the original award and issuing a new one for the higher class if service. AA will waive the deposit fee on the redeposited award, and will not charge for this. (However, taxes may differ, such as going from the discounted U.K. Air Passenger Duty to the full APD if upgrading from Y / PE to J; if there are higher taxes and fees imposed by the new fare, the passenger is charged for those.)

Co-terminals: For award purposes, there are no co-terminals; changing co-terminal airports (MIA and FLL, PBI; JFK, LGA, EWR etc.) will incur a $150 change fee. See this thread for detail on award miles redeposit.

An award using AS, FJ, HA or TN to South Pacific (e.g. AKL, SYD) can not be changed to AA or QF without requiring award redeposit (or vice versa).

Dropping segments: Awards made on AA or / and "all partner" carriers will allow changes mentioned above without requiring redeposit fees. Instances of dropping an origin segment can be allowed, or a final segment - as long as doing so does not change the destination zone (or sub-zone, in the case of intra-North America awards); changing the mileage (miles required) of the award claimed or the number of awards claimed.

Segments can be dropped as long as doing so does not change the destination zone (or sub-zone, in the case of intra-North America awards). If you are refused, refer agents to the in-house memo/advisory dated 02/03/11 entitled "Dropping OWFA segments." (guv1976)

As JonNYC posted:

This document was current as of December 2014:

For permitted changes and fees, see this post in the airline partner award thread.

See TravelingBetter.com here and illustrations here.

If the award is AA and oneworld, changes may be made as long as the main / governing /Most Significant Carrier makes an unconstructed fare on the award routing and the governing fare's carrier is not changed to one not offering such a fare.

Close-in booking fee: Changes made to bring travel to under 21 days from award issue will incur close-in booking fees of $75.

Schedule changes: On international awards, schedule changes of two hours or longer, or those breaking connections by bringing them below MCT / minimum connection times, flight cancellations, generally may be cancelled and redeposited without fees, or engender greater flexibility in changes. With AA awards, it is possible award seating may be opened when there is none; with partners, AA can appeal to the Liaison to the partner to open seating in these cases (the partner airline may or may not grant the exception requested). Equipment change constitutes a schedule change and you will be able to get the fee waived pre this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Partner changes: If the award includes non-oneworld partners such as AS, EY, FJ or TN, or a oneworld carrier award is changed to include a non-oneworld carrier, or vice versa, significant fees will be incurred ($150).

"Upgrading" class of service by using miles requires redepositing the original award and issuing a new one for the higher class if service. AA will waive the deposit fee on the redeposited award, and will not charge for this. (However, taxes may differ, such as going from the discounted U.K. Air Passenger Duty to the full APD if upgrading from Y / PE to J; if there are higher taxes abd fees imposed by the new fare, the passenger is charged for those.)

Changes that require different award type -

Changes to the itinerary which involve different AAdvantage award(s) than originally ticketed require a reinstatement of the original award ticket, payment of the applicable award reinstatement charge (see below), and a new award ticket issued (waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account). However, SAAver awards canceled for AAnytime awards, or changing to a higher class of service, will not incur redeposit fees.

Changes to your outbound travel date, resulting in a departure within 21 days -

Close-in booking fee: A $75 USD award processing charge will apply for a confirmed change to the date on an AAdvantage MileSAAver and AAnytime award ticket if the change results in a new outbound travel date that is within 21 days of the original booking date (waived for AAdvantage elite members using miles from their account).

Contact AAdvantage Reservations to change your itinerary, pay the applicable charge and have your ticket reissued prior to travel.

Canceling Awards / Reinstating Award Tickets
(Waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account)

Award class changes: MileSAAver to AAnytime changes generally incur no fees; conversely, AAnytime to MileSAAver awards generally will.

Award cabin class "upgrades" (e.g. Y to J): If the change made is an increase of miles to another cabin class, fees are not normally charged (but some government required fees such as UK Air Passenger Duty, airport passenger facility fees, etc. may change).

Redepositing awards incurs a fee of $150 other than for Executive Platinum members redepositing to their accounts. If two or more awards are being redeposited to the same account at the same time, the fees are $150 for the first award, $25 for every award thereafter. Note the awards do not have to share the same PNR, though some less knowledgeable agents will insist so.

Note: given a 120 hr / 5 day hold is offered, there is no right to “Free” cancellation (without redeposit) within 24 hours of securing the award. OTOH, mere date changes to a year from Booking are free of charge in most instances.

Please see: State of the award reinstatement fee (Nov 2015 - clarifying)

FAQ: Cancel award ticket / cancellation (time frame, taxes, etc.) (merged threads)

Link to ARCHIVE 2015-2016: Award Change for date, time, routing, co-terminal, cost, all changes.

Link to ARCHIVE 2012-14: Award Change for date, time, routing, co-terminal, cost, all changes.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 Voluntary Award Change: date, time, routing, airline, co-terminal, cost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Kirakat
I'm trying to book a QF trip using AAdvantage miles, preferably in first class, but business is okay. The only problem is the last leg SYD-LAX. There are only AAnytime awards available, but I can get first MileSAAver award if I book SYD-SFO, which actually goes through LAX. Can I just skip the last leg and stay in LAX?
We have merged your query into the existing thread on this topic. Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page. Thank you. /Moderator
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:54 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
not sure where to put this, but giving it a shot here

AA Flyertalk

tl;dr
I have an AA award ticket (62.5k) JAL F made prior to the devaluation in March 2016 which I want to change and AA is stating that I need to pay $150 to redeposit and pay the additional 17.5k if I want to use the award on the original routing LAX - NRT routing in February.

I think AA is wrong, but maybe I am wrong. AA FT thoughts? My alternative is to pay $150 and redeposit the miles and just find another way back which I can do via Chase Sapphire points.

==

Key point: I called AA on March 20-21 2016 APAC time and reserved two JAL F awards. So I have two deductions of 62.5k from my account. Weird thing is in my AA account they deducted 62.5k on March 23, 2016 and March 28, 2016. I had no problem with the re scheduling date wise the award that was ticketed on March 23, 2016. I am having a problem with the LAX - NRT award that is associated with the March 28, 2016 deduction.

The agents are saying and have helpfully notated my PNR that I must pay the new 80k pricing and pay $150 to redeposit the miles and rebook when I thought that since I booked pre-devaluation and am within the 1 year prior to March 22 2017 that I can re apply the award at the 62.5k level.

My thoughts are that I initiated the booking prior to the devaluation and the mileage cost was 62.5 and so it should not be 80k within the one year.

Thanks so much for your thoughts

I am basing my information of various blogs such as

American AAdvantage will have a huge award chart devaluation for bookings as of March 22, 2016.
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...uation-awards/
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by chichow
not sure where to put this, but giving it a shot here

AA Flyertalk

tl;dr
I have an AA award ticket (62.5k) JAL F made prior to the devaluation in March 2016 which I want to change and AA is stating that I need to pay $150 to redeposit and pay the additional 17.5k if I want to use the award on the original routing LAX - NRT routing in February.

I think AA is wrong, but maybe I am wrong. AA FT thoughts? My alternative is to pay $150 and redeposit the miles and just find another way back which I can do via Chase Sapphire points.

==

Key point: I called AA on March 20-21 2016 APAC time and reserved two JAL F awards. So I have two deductions of 62.5k from my account. Weird thing is in my AA account they deducted 62.5k on March 23, 2016 and March 28, 2016. I had no problem with the re scheduling date wise the award that was ticketed on March 23, 2016. I am having a problem with the LAX - NRT award that is associated with the March 28, 2016 deduction.

The agents are saying and have helpfully notated my PNR that I must pay the new 80k pricing and pay $150 to redeposit the miles and rebook when I thought that since I booked pre-devaluation and am within the 1 year prior to March 22 2017 that I can re apply the award at the 62.5k level.

My thoughts are that I initiated the booking prior to the devaluation and the mileage cost was 62.5 and so it should not be 80k within the one year.

Thanks so much for your thoughts

I am basing my information of various blogs such as

American AAdvantage will have a huge award chart devaluation for bookings as of March 22, 2016.
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...uation-awards/
Forget about the actual ticketing date, sometimes with partner awards there's a lag time from when you call to book it to when it actually tickets, but that's irrelevant. If AA deducted the 62.5k miles then you have a pre-deval award, which is all that matters in this case.

If you are just trying to change the date of your JL LAX-NRT flight, then that definitely shouldn't trigger a reprice as long as the new date is before Mar 21. HUCA.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Forget about the actual ticketing date, sometimes with partner awards there's a lag time from when you call to book it to when it actually tickets, but that's irrelevant. If AA deducted the 62.5k miles then you have a pre-deval award, which is all that matters in this case.

If you are just trying to change the date of your JL LAX-NRT flight, then that definitely shouldn't trigger a reprice as long as the new date is before Mar 21. HUCA.
I agree, obviously, unless I'm misreading the post, it's a simple as:

"I want to make a simple date change to a pre-devaluation issued award, well within the 1-year validity period"

IF that's the correct reading, that's an iron-clad right with an AAdv award-- both by published policy (AA.com) and all internal reference-material-- and something the member is unambiguously entitled to without any doubt.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
We can only accept US credit or debit cards...

This is news to me ... that reinstatement of miles can only be charged to US credit or debit cards...

My address is international.. (not North America) and the agent will not accept my 'foreign card' and insists that I use only an american card. Do they accept PayPal?

My travel date is on Wed 7am. Up to what time can I cancel? Tue?

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Feb 5, 2017 at 12:13 pm
Old Feb 5, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
This is news to me ... that reinstatement of miles can only be charged to US credit or debit cards...

My address is international.. (not North America) and the agent will not accept my 'foreign card' and insists that I use only an american card. Do they accept PayPal?

My travel date is on Wed 7am. Up to what time can I cancel? Tue?
PNR cancellation and mile redeposit are two separate transactions.

You can cancel now without requesting mile redeposit. In fact, that's what happens if you cancel your PNR online.
Note your e-ticket number. You will need it when you request mile redeposit.

You can request redeposit until 1 year from your original ticketing date.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by geclub1
PNR cancellation and mile redeposit are two separate transactions.

You can cancel now without requesting mile redeposit. In fact, that's what happens if you cancel your PNR online.
Note your e-ticket number. You will need it when you request mile redeposit.

You can request redeposit until 1 year from your original ticketing date.
Thanks. Got it sorted.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Feb 5, 2017 at 10:23 pm
Old Feb 11, 2017, 8:59 am

About to book BKK-AUH-FRA-LHR-VIE on EY / BA.

- If EY opens space on their A380 will i be able to re-route the itinerary to BKK-AUH-LHR-VIE?

- If not may i drop FRA-LHR-VIE without a fee? As i have understood the drop segment part of the wiki as long as the destination zone (Europe) does not change it should be okay?
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ctrlf
About to book BKK-AUH-FRA-LHR-VIE on EY / BA.

- If EY opens space on their A380 will i be able to re-route the itinerary to BKK-AUH-LHR-VIE?

- If not may i drop FRA-LHR-VIE without a fee? As i have understood the drop segment part of the wiki as long as the destination zone (Europe) does not change it should be okay?
Are you sure that BKK-AUH-Europe is bookable as a single award?
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Are you sure that BKK-AUH-Europe is bookable as a single award?
It's priced as two awards(Asia - Middle East // Middle East - Europe) but doable.

Should not change too much in my plan, should it?
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ctrlf
It's priced as two awards(Asia - Middle East // Middle East - Europe) but doable.

Should not change too much in my plan, should it?
I had missed the 2 awards thing myself-- it's a good clarification on guv1976's part.

All in all, though, yes, I can't see any reason you couldn't go from BKK-AUH-FRA-LHR-VIE, 2 awards to BKK-AUH-FRA, 2 awards, w/o fee.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 12:23 pm

Thanks to both of you!

Have BKK-AUH-FRA-TXL-VIE on hold; Agent confirmed that i would be able to change to BKK-AUH-LHR-VIE.

Last edited by ctrlf; Feb 12, 2017 at 3:58 am
Old Feb 14, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by JJeffrey

so it was too much of a pain to deal with. The date that the miles were pulled showed up a Mar 28 and even though it was the 62.5k that was pulled - the agents just were stuck on the Mar 28th date even though the booking was made on Mar 22.

and the record locator was notated.

so I gave up and re - deposited the miles and went back using a different way.

Thanks for the responses!

I can't see using AA miles between Asia 2 and the USA anymore in a premium cabin. I would only use it between Asia 1 and the USA which is rather limiting.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A one-way award changed to a "R/T" after a date change?!

OK, this is something I have never seen before and really scare me.

Have a HEL-AMS-YYZ in J ticketed on AY with a forced overnight at AMS then connected to 9W the next day.

Everything was fine on the first ticket issued.

Did a date change this morning - BA shows tons of AY availability, on virtually everyday but AA website does not, only shows one day has seats at initial booking. It has been the case for many AY intra-Europe flights by the way.

Anyway, agent has no trouble finding the AY seats that are seen on BA but not AA online. She did the change. I was not able to get to aa site at the moment she did the change, so could not see what was happening. I asked her to make sure this was an even change, no additional miles or taxes. She confirmed positively.

Now I am able to look at how the change is done - the one-way itinerary has now changed to show as if it is a 2 awards bookings

Depart Helsinki, Finland to Amsterdam, Netherlands
(details of AY flight)

Return Amsterdam, Netherlands to Toronto, Canada
(details of 9W flight)

I have never seen this kind of display before on a forced overnight One-Way award. The initial booking before ticketing, also was NOT like that. It was the normal one-way with connection.

Fearing this change has been messed up (become 2 awards), I called AA. It so happened it was the same agent (Mandarin line) took the call. She insisted this was an even exchange, and said, "If it was not I would have return the miles and re-do the award, as well as asking you the credit card info again. I did not." She insisted the currently "on request" reservation was a one-way EU to Canada award despite the weird display I saw on aa website. I asked her if she could kindly notate the PNR this is a one-way EU to Canada award, she refused, claimed that the whole thing was generated by computer, and currently the computer was showing this was a one-way award, that I just need to wait for review and then re-ticket.

If AA website has changed display, this must be very recently because the award is ticketed last night. The initial booking also handled by agent (overnight connection and 9W in the itinerary) is showing as just 2 flights, from HEL to AMS to YYZ, without the Depart, and Return wordings.

Should I be worry the booking is now being split into 2 awards?
JonNYC, what is your take on this? Appreciate your expert view on AA matters as always.

Not much I could do until being reticketed and pray the account does not see an additional reduction...
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EP
All indications are that you have one award. When u get the ticket it should say exchange on it. Ignore what the site is saying.

Originally Posted by Happy
OK, this is something I have never seen before and really scare me.

Have a HEL-AMS-YYZ in J ticketed on AY with a forced overnight at AMS then connected to 9W the next day.

Everything was fine on the first ticket issued.

Did a date change this morning - BA shows tons of AY availability, on virtually everyday but AA website does not, only shows one day has seats at initial booking. It has been the case for many AY intra-Europe flights by the way.

Anyway, agent has no trouble finding the AY seats that are seen on BA but not AA online. She did the change. I was not able to get to aa site at the moment she did the change, so could not see what was happening. I asked her to make sure this was an even change, no additional miles or taxes. She confirmed positively.

Now I am able to look at how the change is done - the one-way itinerary has now changed to show as if it is a 2 awards bookings

Depart Helsinki, Finland to Amsterdam, Netherlands
(details of AY flight)

Return Amsterdam, Netherlands to Toronto, Canada
(details of 9W flight)

I have never seen this kind of display before on a forced overnight One-Way award. The initial booking before ticketing, also was NOT like that. It was the normal one-way with connection.

Fearing this change has been messed up (become 2 awards), I called AA. It so happened it was the same agent (Mandarin line) took the call. She insisted this was an even exchange, and said, "If it was not I would have return the miles and re-do the award, as well as asking you the credit card info again. I did not." She insisted the currently "on request" reservation was a one-way EU to Canada award despite the weird display I saw on aa website. I asked her if she could kindly notate the PNR this is a one-way EU to Canada award, she refused, claimed that the whole thing was generated by computer, and currently the computer was showing this was a one-way award, that I just need to wait for review and then re-ticket.

If AA website has changed display, this must be very recently because the award is ticketed last night. The initial booking also handled by agent (overnight connection and 9W in the itinerary) is showing as just 2 flights, from HEL to AMS to YYZ, without the Depart, and Return wordings.

Should I be worry the booking is now being split into 2 awards?
JonNYC, what is your take on this? Appreciate your expert view on AA matters as always.

Not much I could do until being reticketed and pray the account does not see an additional reduction...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.