Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VistaFlyer
Do we know if AA is currently allowing Elite Status Challenge offers if you cold call them and ask? I have seen reference elsewhere in thepast, but nothing from the last month or two...

I did perform a search and could not locate a recent post or thread about cold calling for AAdvantage status challenges, although there are many posts about status challenge invites.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ge-2017-a.html Last post yesterday

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ay-2019-a.html
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA, HH, HGC
Thanks guys. I saw those threads - will look at them again and am sure to find my answer.

(first thread references 2017, second thread references targeted offers, hence my question.)

Thanks for the feedback!
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by VistaFlyer
Thanks guys. I saw those threads - will look at them again and am sure to find my answer.

(first thread references 2017, second thread references targeted offers, hence my question.)

Thanks for the feedback!
It’s not when the thread started - the starter post could be an older moderator post, etc. and outdated posts in particular are archived off. The HELP DESK threads are kept current in the Wikipost at the top of the page (the Wikipost is “community property” editable by members with 90 posts and 90 days in FT), and then it’s best to start with the last posts first. The Challenge went through some significant changes in 2016 and that Challenge is the one we cover (though it began being mooted about on FT back in 1998!) The last post in that thread is dated yesterday, 17 April.

We do strive to keep posts about a topic of high interest together to diminish information fragmentation, making it easier to find the information you want. And we try to curate the Wikipost to assure current summaries of information, FAQ, etc. along with other members. With the Challenge, it would be easy to have over a hundred threadlets to sort through otherwise.

/Moderator
Gringa and VistaFlyer like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:51 pm

<moved>

Last edited by gnomey; Apr 19, 2019 at 3:10 pm
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
As a AA platinum I know I can access the flagship lounge but I’ve never tried to use it on the return part of my flight.

flying NRT-LAX on AA and then connecting on AA (separate ticket) from LAX-ORD-CMH.

will I be able to use the flagship lounge at LAX and ORD if I keep the boarding pass for my international part even though it’s upon arrival for that ticket.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor
As a AA platinum I know I can access the flagship lounge but I’ve never tried to use it on the return part of my flight.

flying NRT-LAX on AA and then connecting on AA (separate ticket) from LAX-ORD-CMH.

will I be able to use the flagship lounge at LAX and ORD if I keep the boarding pass for my international part even though it’s upon arrival for that ticket.
Only if you have ongoing ticketing on a oneworld flight and the same day of flying the qualifying flight or if your ongoing flight departs by 0600 the next morning. So, yes at LAX and ORD, and yes, keep your qualifying flight boarding pass.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Shadowfactor
Originally Posted by JDiver
Only if you have ongoing ticketing on a oneworld flight and the same day of flying the qualifying flight or if your ongoing flight departs by 0600 the next morning. So, yes at LAX and ORD, and yes, keep your qualifying flight boarding pass.
The rules shown on aa.com say "departing on or connecting to" for access based on status and an international flight though I thought people did get access when "arriving on and connecting from". One wrinkle is that OP does not have a connection but a separate ticket.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by MADPhil
[/left]

The rules shown on aa.com say "departing on or connecting to" for access based on status and an international flight though I thought people did get access when "arriving on and connecting from". One wrinkle is that OP does not have a connection but a separate ticket.
No arrivals privileges if not connecting to an outbound oneworld flight in most instances (A321T is an exception, as reported by other members). OTOH, separate ticketing is never an issue for lounge access - the departing flight doesn’t have to meet the technical definition of a connecting flight.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by MADPhil
Not a wrinkle at all, separate tickets are irrelevant for lounge access purposes. Flying NRT-LAX-ORD-CMH you will of course get lounge access at NRT, LAX, and ORD.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:44 pm

AA vs BA tickets and metal for max AA benefit

Got my AA EXP via the status promo this year so EXP but not much experience with it. Go on biz trips west coast to Europe every few months. Trying to maximize AA miles/status for future years with it. Question on how I should purchase tickets when same route is flown by AA and BA metal and pricing the same on AA and BA ticket. For simplicity, let's use LAX-LHR discount biz fare (I) $3500 roundtrip (let's say $500 are taxes), 11000 miles roundtrip.

From doing brain-explosive research the last few days, I *THINK* these are my options and tradeoffs:
1) AA ticket on AA metal: 3000 EQDs, 22000 EQMs (2.0 x 11000mi), 33000 award miles ($3000 x 11)
2) AA ticket on BA metal: same as above?
3) BA ticket on AA metal: ???
4) BA ticket on BA metal: 2750 EQDs (0.25 x 11000mi), 22000 EQMs (2.0 x 11000mi), 26950 award miles (2.45 x 11000mi)

So it appears that buying and flying AA would result in most earnings (and they have a better seat). Is this correct? I'm still wondering if Option 2 is the same as 1 and if Option 3 is the same as 4 in case a mixed metal ticket makes more sense time-wise?

Thanks!

Last edited by dimamo1983; Apr 20, 2019 at 12:46 pm Reason: Clarified I fare
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by dimamo1983
From doing brain-explosive research the last few days, I *THINK* these are my options and tradeoffs:
1) AA ticket on AA metal: 3000 EQDs, 22000 EQMs (2.0 x 11000mi), 33000 award miles ($3000 x 11)
2) AA ticket on BA metal: same as above?
3) BA ticket on AA metal: ???
4) BA ticket on BA metal: 2750 EQDs (0.25 x 11000mi), 22000 EQMs (2.0 x 11000mi), 26950 award miles (2.45 x 11000mi)

So it appears that buying and flying AA would result in most earnings (and they have a better seat). Is this correct? I'm still wondering if Option 2 is the same as 1 and if Option 3 is the same as 4 in case a mixed metal ticket makes more sense time-wise?
You're correct in all your calculations. When crediting to AA, all that matters is the flight number you book. So option 1 & 2 are exactly the same as are option 3 & 4. In this scenario you'll definitely earn more of everything by booking the AA flight numbers.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:27 pm

i stopped receiving 500 mile upgrade awards this year. Any reason? Anyway, i never able to get a upgrade from EWK/LGA.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by rustum76
i stopped receiving 500 mile upgrade awards this year. Any reason? Anyway, i never able to get a upgrade from EWK/LGA.
What is your status this year? How many AAdvantage EQM have you accrued?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You're correct in all your calculations. When crediting to AA, all that matters is the flight number you book. So option 1 & 2 are exactly the same as are option 3 & 4. In this scenario you'll definitely earn more of everything by booking the AA flight numbers.
Thanks! Glad I was able to keep my sanity through that.

How does it work with paid upgrades? Ie it is typically much cheaper to book premium economy on BA, then upgrade at the airport to business for ~$700-$800. I've done it multiple times before and got miles as if it was a business class ticket (BA ticket crediting to AA).

1) What would happen if I book a BA flight on AA ticket in premium economy? Will I still be able to upgrade it when I check in with BA? And if I do, will AA credit me as if it was a biz flight or would it only credit as premium economy as originally booked?

2) Does American allow paid upgrades on AA metal? As I google, all I can find is about upgrades with miles. Do I understand correctly that paid upgrade is essentially fare difference between biz and econ plus?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: BA
I tried to book JFK-GRU-CNF on AA/LA for 57.5k in J. The only thing I found was JFK-GRU and CGH-CNF requiring a change of airport in Sao Paulo. A couple questions:

1) If I book this, and a flight becomes available later without the change of airport (JFK-GRU-CNF), can I change it for free since my origin (JFK) and destination (CNF) is the same?

2) With a change of airport, I'm assuming you have to collect your bags at GRU, so I could always decide to drop that CGH-CNF segment, correct? What is AA's policy about dropped segments with partners (especially where there is a change of airport)? If I could drop that segment, I see no downside about booking JFK-GRU and CGH-CNF instead of just JFK-GRU if I don't know if I want to deal with the change of airport.

Last edited by wiivile; Apr 23, 2019 at 8:50 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.