Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Row 9 is good for couples, since it's a pair of 2 seats, instead of the normal 3. It also has extra legroom (although no under-seat storage, and I don't believe there is an overhead bin directly over Row 9, since the exit door is right there).

The lav is right in front of Row 9 (on the left side), which might be annoying on an overnight flight. You will also likely encounter the person seated in 10A or 10F crossing over in front of you to get out of their seat. (10A and 10F, by the way, are the best seats in economy, especially if traveling alone; you have pretty much unrestricted legroom.)

Can't help you with your window seat question for J, although it's an overnight transatlantic flight, so not sure you'd have much of a view for most of the flight.
Thank you for the info. So, to avoid the lav, best to choose 10F (bit confused about LEFT side or RIGHT side)?
Old May 23, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
I’ve flown that, and there’s not much of a view at night. Though I always try for an A seat because when I feel the “Greenland Bump” I always look to see if there is any Aurora Borealis, lunar or other interesting activity as we fly by or over Greenland.

For further seat information, please see LAA 75L / 757-200 Best MCE / Main Cabin Extra seats (consolidated)

and https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html.

This thread is really better for “newbie” questions than in depth questions about specific aircraft seating.
Thank you for the links.
Re: "newbie" questions, noted. Thanks.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Thank you for the info. So, to avoid the lav, best to choose 10F (bit confused about LEFT side or RIGHT side)?
By left, I mean the lav is in front of 9 B/C.
allset2travel likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:02 am

Question for you all:

Looking to travel from ORD to a TBD destination in Europe next year for 3. Maybe it's the apathy, but I'm not going to bother to wait for any unicorn sAAver space on AA metal to get across the pond.

While my final destination will NOT be LHR / CDG / FCO, if I'm ok paying 110k miles per person would a phone agent allow me to get to one of those cities and add on a connecting flight to a city like PRG without shelling out an additional 12-25k miles? I'd take literally the first connecting flight that made sense and wouldn't try to do an extended stopover or anything. I've tried piecing this together on the AA website with no luck of course.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old May 24, 2019, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by kaipoman
Question for you all:

Looking to travel from ORD to a TBD destination in Europe next year for 3. Maybe it's the apathy, but I'm not going to bother to wait for any unicorn sAAver space on AA metal to get across the pond.

While my final destination will NOT be LHR / CDG / FCO, if I'm ok paying 110k miles per person would a phone agent allow me to get to one of those cities and add on a connecting flight to a city like PRG without shelling out an additional 12-25k miles? I'd take literally the first connecting flight that made sense and wouldn't try to do an extended stopover or anything. I've tried piecing this together on the AA website with no luck of course.

Thanks in advance for the help!
AAnytime awards are only available on AA metal, and you can’t mix AAnytime and SAAver on one award, which means you have to stick to AA metal. So the answer to your question is no. However, you might be able to do ORD-PHL-PRG. Basically, you have to stick with a destination served by AA.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:24 am

AAnytime awards are only available on AA metal, and you can’t mix AAnytime and SAAver on one award, which means you have to stick to AA metal. So the answer to your question is no. However, you might be able to do ORD-PHL-PRG. Basically, you have to stick with a destination served by AA.
Gotcha - makes perfect sense. Thanks for the help.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:23 pm

Buy AA miles via promotion for DEL / SFO Travel?

I see AA is currently offering 40% bonus on miles purchase and if maxed out, its costing 1.78 C per mile ($2676 / 150,000). I notice you can get a one way Business Class ticket on AA with 70,000 miles which is roughly $1,246 with this promotion. I travel around 10 times a year between DEL to SFO or DEL to LAX back and forth. Is it a good option to buy 150,000 miles in hopes of redeeming for business class ticket @ cost of $1,246

I usually travel Economy and end up paying around $800 or so one way because i book last minute, so this seems really good option
Old May 24, 2019, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by mohitmadaan
I see AA is currently offering 40% bonus on miles purchase and if maxed out, its costing 1.78 C per mile ($2676 / 150,000). I notice you can get a one way Business Class ticket on AA with 70,000 miles which is roughly $1,246 with this promotion. I travel around 10 times a year between DEL to SFO or DEL to LAX back and forth. Is it a good option to buy 150,000 miles in hopes of redeeming for business class ticket @ cost of $1,246

I usually travel Economy and end up paying around $800 or so one way because i book last minute, so this seems really good option
Using miles can be a good deal, but you might not be able to find award availability exactly when you want to go. Generally, with award travel, you need to be at least somewhat flexible and perhaps willing to have multiple connections. Additionally, there are a few airlines (like British Airways) where there are high fees when redeeming awards. If you are generally flexible, though, using miles can be a good deal.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:31 pm

Using miles can be a good deal, but you might not be able to find award availability exactly when you want to go. Generally, with award travel, you need to be at least somewhat flexible and perhaps willing to have multiple connections. Additionally, there are a few airlines (like British Airways) where there are high fees when redeeming awards. If you are generally flexible, though, using miles can be a good deal.
Got it. With roughly 15 to 20 international trips a year out of DEL, i am hoping to grab only 1-2 Business class seats at a cost of $1200 or so. Somewhat flexible most of the times. I guess that settles it, i am going to buy these AA miles for $2600 and hopefully i can redeem them sometimes in the future.
Old May 25, 2019, 1:33 am

AA or Qantas Baggage Regulations?

Called AA and representative assisted me with a single ticket award flight: SAT-LAX-NAN.
- I was told that at departure my baggage would be checked thru from SAT to NAN even tho the 3rd segment SYD-NAN is on Fiji Airways. So... will I use AA baggage allowances? And, I won't have to claim my baggage in Sydney, correct?

- My return will be NAN-SYD on Qantas with a 14 hour layover in SYD before AA flights home: SYD-LAX-SAT.
Am I correct in assuming I will be under QA baggage allowances (i.e. 15 lbs cabin baggage) to Sydney and then AA allowances for remainder of trip?
I realize I will collect my bags in LAX as port of entry/immigration.
Old May 25, 2019, 3:08 pm

On admirals club access:

If flying DOH-PHL-DFW in Business (via QR and AA), would there be any lounge access at all in PHL? As I understand it Admirals club access is only available at the departure airport of your international leg?
Old May 25, 2019, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by quitecryptic
On admirals club access:

If flying DOH-PHL-DFW in Business (via QR and AA), would there be any lounge access at all in PHL? As I understand it Admirals club access is only available at the departure airport of your international leg?
you will have access to admirals club or BA lounge in PHL
Old May 25, 2019, 4:47 pm

Newbie Question: American Airline award ticket to BA award ticket

Hi,

I'm getting ready to try some international flying but I'm not sure about my timing and other shenanigans. I have some random AA points that can get me from my hometown to DFW on an economy award ticket. There i want to catch an international flight using a British airways avios reward ticket on AA metal (first class/business). The connection time is about an Hour an a half. So my questions are

1)will they make me collect my luggage and recheck in for my second flight?

2)if I have to recheck is that enough time?

Thanks
Old May 25, 2019, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HeStoleMyLogin
I'm getting ready to try some international flying but I'm not sure about my timing and other shenanigans. I have some random AA points that can get me from my hometown to DFW on an economy award ticket. There I want to catch an international flight using a British airways avios reward ticket on AA metal (first class/business). The connection time is about an Hour an a half.

So my questions are
  1. Yes. AA does not interline checked bags on separate tickets. So you need to collect & then check in. That takes time.
  2. Is a major risk, if for example the first flight is delayed. The consequences of missing the BA/AA business class/first flight could be a lot. However AA do protect on separate tickets. Personally I would allow a lot more time than 90 minutes between scheduled arrival & scheduled departure time. You have a lot less actual time to get between flights.
Old May 25, 2019, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by HeStoleMyLogin
Hi,

I'm getting ready to try some international flying but I'm not sure about my timing and other shenanigans. I have some random AA points that can get me from my hometown to DFW on an economy award ticket. There i want to catch an international flight using a British airways avios reward ticket on AA metal (first class/business). The connection time is about an Hour an a half. So my questions are

Thanks
Do you have enough Avios to cover the domestic AA flight in Coach? If so, you might try calling the BAEC Service Center to see if can have the domestic AA Coach flight put on the same ticket as the international AA Business Class flight. That way, your checked baggage could be checked through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.