Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by cheaptom
I have another question about refunds please, if anyone can help with these specifics. First time using AA miles to purchase BA flights TATL. I've always avoided that, but this time I had to due to an inflexible schedule and limited miles. I paid the fuel surcharge to get sAAver award space.
My question is about refunds. Assuming sAAver seats open up on AA metal same itinerary (it's LAX-LHR-FCO), can I re-book onto the AA metal and get the BA surcharge refunded? From what I see, there might be a fee to do this, but it will be worth paying to recoup some of that surcharge.
Yes you can rebook onto AA metal and get the BA surcharge refunded. Somebody else will have to let you know if there is a fee for doing it or not.

Also,if we pay BA in advance to select our seats, is that part refundable if we switch to AA flights?

Thank you.
BA seat fees are not refundable if you voluntarily change off the flight (or to another class of service on the same flight). So I would hold off paying seat booking fees if you are hoping to switch to AA.
cheaptom likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by cheaptom
I have another question about refunds please, if anyone can help with these specifics. First time using AA miles to purchase BA flights TATL. I've always avoided that, but this time I had to due to an inflexible schedule and limited miles. I paid the fuel surcharge to get sAAver award space.
My question is about refunds. Assuming sAAver seats open up on AA metal same itinerary (it's LAX-LHR-FCO), can I re-book onto the AA metal and get the BA surcharge refunded? From what I see, there might be a fee to do this, but it will be worth paying to recoup some of that surcharge.

Also,if we pay BA in advance to select our seats, is that part refundable if we switch to AA flights?

Thank you.
To add to the above, there is no fee to switch your award from BA to AA, assuming the origin and destination remain the same.
wrp96 and cheaptom like this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
Yes you can rebook onto AA metal and get the BA surcharge refunded. Somebody else will have to let you know if there is a fee for doing it or not. BA seat fees are not refundable if you voluntarily change off the flight (or to another class of service on the same flight). So I would hold off paying seat booking fees if you are hoping to switch to AA.
Very helpful, thank you.
Love those upper-deck seats on the BA 388s, but you're right and it makes far more sense to wait. Lots of time.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA
Is it a violation of any of AA's terms to do an AAdvantage hold every 5 days as long as the availability is still there? Has this historically been considered considered abuse?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Hi, I want to buy a Sonos soundbar while I’m the US.

Can I travel with the box as my carry-on?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by wiivile
Is it a violation of any of AA's terms to do an AAdvantage hold every 5 days as long as the availability is still there? Has this historically been considered considered abuse?
I have certainly done it for several iterations on several occasions. AA could fairly readily prevent it if they wanted to and most people probably buy in the end so I doubt that AA have a problem with it.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Semphyra

Maybe. What are the dimensions? Link to AA carryon restrictions.

In part:

“Shouldn’t exceed 22 x 14 x 9 inches / 56 x 36 x 23 centimeters (including handles and wheels)

Must fit in the sizer at the airport

If your items don’t fit in the overhead bin or under the seat, they may need to be checked. There may be additional carry-on bag restrictions at certain airports or on certain airplanes.”
Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Semphyra

You may be asked at security to open the box. I once had that happen to me with an electrical appliance I had purchased as a gift and was carrying with me. This was before the days of pre-check, though.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: AA , Marriott Titanium
Family traveling from jfk to hkg. Paents in j class, daughter in premium economy, would like to enter flagship lounge as a family. Can we buy a day pass for her? Cost?
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by TandJalliance
Family traveling from jfk to hkg. Paents in j class, daughter in premium economy, would like to enter flagship lounge as a family. Can we buy a day pass for her? Cost?
You cannot buy a day pass to any Flagship Lounge. How old is your daughter? If she's relatively "young" then there's a good chance they will let all 3 in without issue, AA agents are typically pretty lenient with this type of thing.

Also, if either of you have oneworld Emerald or Sapphire status, then you can take one guest.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: JMB, AMC
Quick question about seats
Brought it up here, but doesn't seem to be a very active thread... https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31801860-post322.html
Regarding the A321 layout.

I tend to go to the lav a lot so I actually like the proximity. Last time I was in this config, I booked 22C but found the solid armrests too narrow for my frame so I asked the FA and was able to move to 22B which had an armrest on the left side you could move and the seat was comfortable with it raised. (right side had solid armrest with your tray table)
This upcoming flight 22C was taken so I wanted to avoid 22B while 22D and E were both open.
Does 22D or 22E have the movable armrests like 22B? I wasn't sure if the seats were 'mirrored' or 'copy/pasted' in layout.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Switched back to AA this year after several years on UA and just want to be sure: With AA, the checked-bag weight limit is based strictly on class and not on status, so if I'm ExPlat but my upgrade doesn't clear for the first segment, my limit is 50 pounds, right? Thanks.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Switched back to AA this year after several years on UA and just want to be sure: With AA, the checked-bag weight limit is based strictly on class and not on status, so if I'm ExPlat but my upgrade doesn't clear for the first segment, my limit is 50 pounds, right? Thanks.
Wrong:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ht-baggage.jsp
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Nice, thanks. For some reason, the ExPlat part isn't listed on this page:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp
Old Dec 7, 2019, 3:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Nice, thanks. For some reason, the ExPlat part isn't listed on this page:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp
See

EXP Executive Pl / Emerald extended baggage / luggage allowance (2018, master thread)
joe_miami likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.