FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:37 am
wrp96
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by cheaptom
I have another question about refunds please, if anyone can help with these specifics. First time using AA miles to purchase BA flights TATL. I've always avoided that, but this time I had to due to an inflexible schedule and limited miles. I paid the fuel surcharge to get sAAver award space.
My question is about refunds. Assuming sAAver seats open up on AA metal same itinerary (it's LAX-LHR-FCO), can I re-book onto the AA metal and get the BA surcharge refunded? From what I see, there might be a fee to do this, but it will be worth paying to recoup some of that surcharge.
Yes you can rebook onto AA metal and get the BA surcharge refunded. Somebody else will have to let you know if there is a fee for doing it or not.

Also,if we pay BA in advance to select our seats, is that part refundable if we switch to AA flights?

Thank you.
BA seat fees are not refundable if you voluntarily change off the flight (or to another class of service on the same flight). So I would hold off paying seat booking fees if you are hoping to switch to AA.