Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2019, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mary_228
I have had a very hard time trying to find out if award tickets holders, who have no status and are flying coach, will be entitled to a free checked bag. Can you advise?
It depends on the route.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by mary_228
I have had a very hard time trying to find out if award tickets holders, who have no status and are flying coach, will be entitled to a free checked bag. Can you advise?
This article will give you a pretty good idea what bag charges to expect. It does not specify charges for award tickets but you can safely assume your award economy is the same as economy ticket paid with cash. https://upgradedpoints.com/american-...-baggage-fees/
Old Oct 27, 2019, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by jamar
I like to think that I'm not exactly a newbie but I've got a situation I've never bumped into before.

I'm AA Platinum. I got it when I was e-mailed a trial offer last year and flew enough in the 3 months to keep it through to the end of the year after I got it. I was always under the impression that was supposed to waive the $75 award close-in booking fee. I booked an award on CX for JFK-YVR a week before departure. I flew it two weeks ago. Now I get an e-mail from AA's "corporate receivables" department claiming that they investigated, found I was supposed to be charged the $75, and that they expect some sort of response by November 8. Is this kind of thing normal (the investigating and coming after me for a fee after the fact), and were they right to claim they were supposed to charge me the $75 (are there limitations on that fee waiver)?
The close in booking fee is definitely waived for elite members. So as long as you were PLT when you booked the award it was correct to not be charged the fee.

Additionally, even if you were supposed to be charged the fee, it is VERY strange for AA to try and come after it after the fact. Never heard of such a thing, I'd guess it's some sort of a scam. What kind of "response" did they ask for?
Old Oct 27, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
Flying MIA->FCO on miles in AA Biz and BA Club Europe on Monday with a 12 hour layover in LHR. Will I have lounge access while in LHR?
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by gateH15
This article will give you a pretty good idea what bag charges to expect. It does not specify charges for award tickets but you can safely assume your award economy is the same as economy ticket paid with cash. https://upgradedpoints.com/american-...-baggage-fees/
Thank you. I have status, so I always get confused when booking for my spouse. He has the Platinum Citi Advantage card which we use for purchasing tickets when he travels without me, but when I can book an award ticket, I got confused. Esp as when using the United card to pay the taxes on the award seat, that airline will allow you to check one for free. I gather that is not the case on AA.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danhunterpost
Flying MIA->FCO on miles in AA Biz and BA Club Europe on Monday with a 12 hour layover in LHR. Will I have lounge access while in LHR?
Club Europe is (pretend) business class. So lounge access based on class of service
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ss/club-europe
Seats are normal economy seats with middle seat unoccupied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2019-a.html
Old Oct 27, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Benefits for non-status people with me

I feel like I should know this, but drawing a blank.

Currently AA Gold (may make Plat this year, not sure yet). If I have (up to 8) people on my reservation with me and none have status, which of my benefits if any would they get?
Old Oct 27, 2019, 4:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by bchandler02
I feel like I should know this, but drawing a blank.

Currently AA Gold (may make Plat this year, not sure yet). If I have (up to 8) people on my reservation with me and none have status, which of my benefits if any would they get?
Not many. See What are AA ♦️Gold / GLD Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd)
Old Oct 27, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I have an AA Exec and will be flying LAX-YVR on United. Alaska's rules about lounge entry for their own Lounge members say that you can have a boarding pass from any airline. I saw the footnote on the Admirals Club page here about Alaska Lounge access:

Must present your membership card and boarding pass at lounge check-in counter for same-day departure on an American Airlines, Alaska Airlines or Virgin America marketed and operated flight (flight sold with American / Alaska / Virgin America flight number and flown on American /Alaska / Virgin America aircraft).
I just wanted to confirm about whether this is actually enforced, or if in practice it winds up going by Alaska's rules.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The close in booking fee is definitely waived for elite members. So as long as you were PLT when you booked the award it was correct to not be charged the fee.
OK, then I should be in the clear, and I'll mention that when I reply to the letter.

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Additionally, even if you were supposed to be charged the fee, it is VERY strange for AA to try and come after it after the fact. Never heard of such a thing, I'd guess it's some sort of a scam. What kind of "response" did they ask for?
There was an e-mail that came with a PDF letter. The e-mail came from "[email protected]" and stated that a charge to my card on file failed, and for me to call 1-800-882-8880 to make a payment or to ask for more details. The PDF letter is attached below.

Looks pretty official, no demand for me to click any sketchy links or go to a website that isn't AA, so I've ruled out a scam. Still, if their own rules state I wasn't supposed to be charged the fee, and their "investigation" led to the conclusion that I should be, then that's rather sloppy work on their part.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
OK, then I should be in the clear, and I'll mention that when I reply to the letter.

There was an e-mail that came with a PDF letter. The e-mail came from "[email protected]" and stated that a charge to my card on file failed, and for me to call 1-800-882-8880 to make a payment or to ask for more details. The PDF letter is attached below.

Looks pretty official, no demand for me to click any sketchy links or go to a website that isn't AA, so I've ruled out a scam. Still, if their own rules state I wasn't supposed to be charged the fee, and their "investigation" led to the conclusion that I should be, then that's rather sloppy work on their part.
The wording of that "letter" 100% looks like a scam. Sophisticated phishing.

Again, even if the fee was rightly due (it wasn't) I've never heard of AA trying to collect after the fact. AA agents are clueless these days, fees like this are rightly or wrongly charged on a daily basis, if this was a thing we would have heard about it by now.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
All right, I'll leave it be. At the same time, I'm now concerned for a different reason- how would a phisher have gotten hold of the actual ticket number of the award ticket I booked? I looked at the number referenced in the letter and it was in fact the ticket I booked, which is why I didn't dismiss it out of hand.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
I have an AA Exec and will be flying LAX-YVR on United. Alaska's rules about lounge entry for their own Lounge members say that you can have a boarding pass from any airline. I saw the footnote on the Admirals Club page here about Alaska Lounge access:

I just wanted to confirm about whether this is actually enforced, or if in practice it winds up going by Alaska's rules.
If you are entitled to access by Alaska’s rules, you’ll be admitted. If you’re entitled access by the AA-AS mutual access rules, you’ll be admitted. They’ll check, and by now are pretty aware of the rules.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
All right, I'll leave it be. At the same time, I'm now concerned for a different reason- how would a phisher have gotten hold of the actual ticket number of the award ticket I booked? I looked at the number referenced in the letter and it was in fact the ticket I booked, which is why I didn't dismiss it out of hand.
It's a weird phish when the only contact information is a legitimate AA email and phone number: https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...er-service.jsp. It could be worth checking the Reply-to field of the email but the best bet is to call.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
That tells me what my benefits are. I'm not seeing where it spells out what benefits would apply to those travelling with me on the same reservation, unless the ONLY one is the ability to upgrade them using my 500 mile stickers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.