Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LATAM Discriminates Against AA Business Award Flyers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LATAM Discriminates Against AA Business Award Flyers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I'm inferring that the OP didn't check on the LATAM site as he references an AA printout of the seat assignments.

I've had several occassions where, for whatever reason, the operating carriers seat assignments don't match what AA or the booking airlines reservation shows. They may match initially, but later changes often don't get reflected. Sometimes, the ticket isn't even valid, even though AA said it was. Always check on the operating carriers site.

Not to mean that the OP is incorrect. But it's not the most likely explanation if they didn't check on the op's site (and recheck).
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
I don't think this had anything to do with the fact that this an award ticket.

This had probably more to do with the ticked being issued by AA and AA systems not talking properly to LAN systems.

It has happened to me in the past when I bought (with cash/credit card) a LAN operated flight ticket on AA.com.

The solution would have been to call LAN or go to LAN's website and make the seat selection there as soon as the ticket was issued. For this, the LAN record locator is needed which can only be obtained by calling AA.
GFrye likes this.

Last edited by carlosdca; Nov 30, 2018 at 12:43 pm
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by carlosdca
I don't think this had anything to do with the fact that this an award ticket.

This had probably more to do with the ticked being issued by AA and AA systems not talking properly to LAN systems.

It has happened to me in the past when I bought (with cash/credit card) a LAN operated flight ticket on AA.com.

The solution would have been to call LAN or go to LAN's website and make the seat selection there as soon as the ticket was issued. For this, the LAN record locator is needed which can only be obtained by calling AA.
Agree, though the airport staff should have been able to deal with the issue. The DOT's rules aren't meant to apply only when it's convenient for the airline, or when you've already self-assigned appropriate seats.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: Lots
I don’t see any evidence to support the OPs claim that they were specifically targeted due to purchasing award tickets. The OP mentioned that the individual they spoke to didn’t deny that was the reason but was t ever confirmed? I can easily imagine a situation where the OP was complaining and whoever he was speaking to just didn’t feel like arguing anymore so just went along with whatever was said to resolve the situation.

While certainly an unfortunate situation there are countless threads on this board regarding seat assignments changing and the end result always seems to be that seats are not guaranteed and can be changed at the airlines discretion. Not sure how this is any different (aside from the disability issue which may have required LA to provide seats next to each other but I don’t believe would require them to provide the originally booked seats). The title of this thread seems needlessly inflammatory.

Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by deeruck
Agree, though the airport staff should have been able to deal with the issue. The DOT's rules aren't meant to apply only when it's convenient for the airline, or when you've already self-assigned appropriate seats.
They were assigned seats in the same row. OP reports they boarded the aircraft.. So if it was absolutely needed that they sit together, what happened?
How did they cope on the plane without sitting together, or what happened when people were asked if they could switch?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions on what we should do in the future. LATAM finally was able to convince a passenger to switch into the broken seat by offering a 300 $ voucher which expires in 6 months. They offered us this as well, but we rejected the offer as we do not fly LATAM very frequently except when vacationing in South America. However the seats we accepted were much further from the bathroom, making it more difficult for my wife to use the facilities.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
LATAM finally was able to convince a passenger to switch into the broken seat by offering a 300 $ voucher which expires in 6 months.
Sounds like LATAM worked to find a solution and did. Why didn't you mention this in your original post?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
When I told them I thought it was likely that LATAM gave us the 2 broken seats of thje 30 business class seats because we were AA elites traveling on award tickets, they did not deny my conclusion.
It's really regrettable that the broken seat and the lost luggage derailed your experience. Having been there (everything planned to the T for an incredible aspirational redemption only to be completely thrown a curve-ball with a crewing issue nonetheless), stories abound about equipment swaps, seat loss, and last minute involuntary downgrades all over FT. No matter what you do, MX, weather, people, and even cabin pets can get in the way. It's part of flying and I don't think that there is anything that you can do to avoid it other than staying home.

I wouldn't go as to far as saying that this was discrimination but rather, airlines today are not people companies in the transportation business but rather $-driven companies in the monopolistic transportation business. Some of the best outcomes in these situations stem from remembering that the people are in front of you (or on the phone) are people with stories themselves most often aren't the underlying cause of whatever issue is at hand so empathy from both sides can go a long way.

Glad that you were able to make the journey and keep your seats in business!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.