Search

Easiest and best "value" SWU to clear?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by embarcadero1

I don’t know how/why you travel, but I have zero flexibility on dates. I’m guessing this is the case for many/most business travelers.

This year, I’m at 150 BIS miles, all international on AA. The only SWUs that clear are from J to F.

AA is doing this to devalue their loyalty program. They know business travelers who can purchase J don’t want to gamble with 12 hours in coach. It makes Qatar that much more attractive, IMO.
I'm looking to use the SWUs on leisure travel, and i'm flexible, still seems tough.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:06 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
So pulling the trigger on EF subscription is pretty much necessary in order to find C at booking space?

yes.

I consider my EF subscription as necessary as my Netflix subscription!!!
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA LP pleb, QR Plat., Bonvoy Ti, IHG Diamond Amb, Foolish Hoarder of Miles, Fid. Def.
OP: I've had solid success with SWUs to/from PEK in the last year (4/5, plus 1/1 upgrading a no-status buddy LAX->HND). Only one of those cleared at booking, and that was a close-in purchase on a whackadoodle itinerary. It's rare to see upgrade inventory well in advance of departure, but it's also rare for AA to completely sell out the J cabin on TPAC routes (if you're not traveling at peak demand times). If you're patient and flexible, you've got a very good shot at clearing as departure approaches.

Of course, if you're not willing to risk flying coach or PE, then purchasing coach or PE tickets is not a prudent choice in any case.

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Yes, very helpful for this. Quick search via EF just found LAX-AKL (Auckland New Zealand) C4 on 12/11 and C3 on 12/12.
Also OP: go ahead and get that AKL trip while the getting's good. It's a great time to be visiting Middle Earth.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:01 pm

I've never cleared during booking, but did call it in immediately after a booking. Was able to get a round trip from MIA-CDG last year over a weekend time frame in February. Booked about 1 month in advance. EF was helpful here.

Prior to that, I have had miles+copays clear after calling it in immediately after a booking for LAX-HKG and SYD-LAX. Those were booked a few months in advanced of travel date.

Last edited by caburrito; Nov 17, 2018 at 11:06 pm
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
OP go ahead and find that C space. So many on here disagree with me.

Let us know how it goes.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
So pulling the trigger on EF subscription is pretty much necessary in order to find C at booking space?
EF is great for searching for the C space...but if the answer is always C0 is it really worth it? Are there completely random dates on some routes with C inventory more than 60 days out? Sure, but I bet it is less than 5% of all longhaul flights. Maybe less than 1%. SWUs in my situation seem to be close to worthless at the moment (have to have confirmed at booking, have to book Jun/Jul/Aug/Sep 2019, going to Europe). Let's use Dublin as the example, it is the destination I searched this evening.

US-DUB Jun/Jul/Aug/Sep there are 4 gateways (PHL, ORD, CLT, DFW) for a total of ~958 flights (DFW service starts 6/6?). There is no C inventory on any outbound flight. None. 0 for ~479 flights. Return there are 6 flights with some C inventory.

I know, summer, Europe etc, makes it tough to find availability, but the numbers are pretty ridiculous.
  • That C space availability works out to .6% of flights. Less than 1% of flights.
  • About ~23,471 potential biz seats. .1% of seats. About one tenth of one percent of all the business seats.
If I were you I would still get EF, makes it way easier to search even if it is always C0.

In case anyone else is looking...
DUB-PHL - 6/5, 6/11, 6/18, 8/27, 8/28
DUB-CLT - 8/22, 8/30
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're not saying "SWUs are generally useless for redemption at booking." You have now told the OP in two posts that redemption at booking is impossible, to which I've proven is not the case. My proof point of one example (though I have more) invalidates your blanket statement of impossibility
958 flights to Dublin over 4 months, zero C space.

Definitely invalidates my blanket statement.

LOL
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by enviroian
958 flights to Dublin over 4 months, zero C space.

Definitely invalidates my blanket statement.

LOL
11/18: PHL-DUB C3
11/19: PHL-DUB C1
12/11: PHL-DUB C1
1/14: PHL-DUB C1
2/20: PHL-DUB C1

I know OP was looking for at least C2, and also best use, which APAC likely is, so this doesn't work in their case (though in some cases, if you take the C1, another C will open up - had to book 5 upgrades DFW-NRT in 5 separate tickets because of this but it worked) but it does continue to prove you wrong over and over.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

11/18: PHL-DUB C3
11/19: PHL-DUB C1
12/11: PHL-DUB C1
1/14: PHL-DUB C1
2/20: PHL-DUB C1

I know OP was looking for at least C2, and also best use, which APAC likely is, so this doesn't work in their case (though in some cases, if you take the C1, another C will open up - had to book 5 upgrades DFW-NRT in 5 separate tickets because of this but it worked) but it does continue to prove you wrong over and over.
Those aren’t the date ranges that poster was looking for.

I’m not sure why so many AA apologists on here.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:58 am

I'm not an apologist. I simply think you're doing the original poster a disservice by saying it's impossible to find C availability at booking. They came here looking for advice and you said what they were seeking is impossible. Rather than let them believe that, I wanted to show that with a bit of flexibility on destinations and dates, it can be found - to cities all over the world over several months of the year.

Now, are certain markets harder than others during certain times of year? Absolutely, but I understand from an economics standpoint why AA might do that. The trick is to understand the game and play it accordingly (and AA doesn't always win).
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:08 am

You apologist just don’t understand.

As exp’s we are ENTITLED to have those clear when we book.
We are ENTITLED for things to be like they used to.
We are ENTITLED for all your upgrades.

/sarcasm
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Lots of hyperbole here. Bottom line - I think we can all agree it is difficult to confirm a SWU in advance. The OP asked if it has always been like this, and the answer is NO. Prior to the Discount Dougie era, SWU's regularly cleared in advance, and often at booking for me as an EXP.

That said, if you are willing to gamble, which I understand you are not, SWU's still generally clear. It is less of a gamble for sure than UA, where they'll sell your upgrade to somebody for $9.99 over a 1K.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:37 am

I'm not an apologist. I simply think you're doing the original poster a disservice by saying it's impossible to find C availability at booking. They came here looking for advice and you said what they were seeking is impossible. Rather than let them believe that, I wanted to show that with a bit of flexibility on destinations and dates, it can be found - to cities all over the world over several months of the year.

Now, are certain markets harder than others during certain times of year? Absolutely, but I understand from an economics standpoint why AA might do that. The trick is to understand the game and play it accordingly (and AA doesn't always win).
AND, now that my post has been liked by The Dude, I can retire from the conversation and enjoy a White Russian in peace.

Mark it zero, Donnie.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
Those aren’t the date ranges that poster was looking for.

I’m not sure why so many AA apologists on here.
"Not available on the exact date you are looking for it" does not equal your claim that they "are never available"

"Difficult" is not the same thing as "impossible"

One person's "available at booking" could be the same as another person's "cleared after booking"

Reasonable statement of fact does not equate to "AA apologist"

------

I've never missed an SWU as EXP. That part of the program works just fine in my experience. My experience is not the same as your's. Ergo: YMMV.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
This has absolutely nothing to do with Doug Parker or the merger with US Airways.

I was a US Airways CP (about their equivalent of EXP) for a few years. I never had a problem using the CP upgrades for TA travel. I don't recall US being on ExpertFlyer, so I would typically call at an off-peak time, get a flexible agent (sometimes required hanging up and calling back), and I always was able to get upgraded when I booked. Some agents found it fun...flying into LHR, out of CDG, FRA, etc. When CLT-Europe routes started, those were easier for a while, but PHL was usually still a possibility.

There seems to be something else at play that happened since the merger. Although it is easy to blame things on Doug, US Airways, etc., this is not one time when it is fitting.
GTITAN likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.