Easiest and best "value" SWU to clear?

Old Nov 17, 18, 8:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Easiest and best "value" SWU to clear?

I know everything varies, but generally speaking, what are the longest flights, with the cheapest econ fares that generally have the most SWU C-class availability? First time ExecPlat here. I was looking for LAX-HKG-LAX and was told this one is usually wide open, but haven't been able to find any flights with avail. Curious as to what other routes generally have C buckets open. Thanks!
Old Nov 17, 18, 8:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire; AA Gold and free agent (DH = AA EXP)
It depends on a few different factors. How far out/time of year are you looking? And if you look on the upgrade chances thread, thereís generally less availability now than there was a year ago for the same routes.
Old Nov 17, 18, 8:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AtomicLush View Post
It depends on a few different factors. How far out/time of year are you looking? And if you look on the upgrade chances thread, there’s generally less availability now than there was a year ago for the same routes.
I'm very flexible. I was looking across a few months just to see what the availability is like and I haven't seen SWU Y->J open for a single day LAX-HKG. Granted I've hardly searched every day in the calendar, but no luck. Ideally, I want to leave after Thanksgiving 2019, so those dates aren't even loaded yet. Is the best bet to get expertflyer?
Old Nov 17, 18, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
I'm very flexible. I was looking across a few months just to see what the availability is like and I haven't seen SWU Y->J open for a single day LAX-HKG. Granted I've hardly searched every day in the calendar, but no luck. Ideally, I want to leave after Thanksgiving 2019, so those dates aren't even loaded yet. Is the best bet to get expertflyer?
EF is very helpful yes and I use it extensively.

SWU redemption at booking is no longer (with the occasional 1 C seat here and there). Things have drastically changed in the last year.
Old Nov 17, 18, 9:15 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
LAX-HKG-LAX has always cleared SWU or miles+co-pay for us and we fly it 2-3 times per year.

I donít even bother trying to use an SWU to Europe.
Old Nov 17, 18, 10:07 am

I have used SWUs, with clearance at booking, to Europe a few times (most recently JFK-ZRH), but this was before the 'recent changes' went into effect.
Old Nov 17, 18, 10:22 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
I often have success with GRU and GIGónice long-ish flights and at least occasionally still have space in advance.
Old Nov 17, 18, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Earlier this year I was able to confirm SWU at booking for JFK-EZE-JFK in January which was a nice way to get away from terrible NYC winter weather and go to summer overnight The Park Hyatt there is so nice, but the area it's in is not my favorite......Palermo SoHo all the way
GTITAN likes this.
Old Nov 17, 18, 12:20 pm

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
I have cleared at booking for all three of my RDU / LHR RTs this year.
Old Nov 17, 18, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, SPG LT Plat
Iíve cleared LAX-HKG-LAX each time Iíve applied my SWUís for the past two years.

Sure!! Iíve been lucky to clear at booking a couple times. But Iíve always been cleared from the waitlist at least 2-3 days in advance of the flight as well.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 18, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA exp, Marriott Amb
LAX-HND is a pretty good bet also.
Old Nov 17, 18, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc View Post
Iíve cleared LAX-HKG-LAX each time Iíve applied my SWUís for the past two years.

Sure!! Iíve been lucky to clear at booking a couple times. But Iíve always been cleared from the waitlist at least 2-3 days in advance of the flight as well.
This has been my experience as well. LAX, DFW and ORD to/from PVG, PEK and HKG. Granted, few of the SWUs confirmed at booking, but I've never flown in Y on those combinations.
Old Nov 17, 18, 2:47 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by pmblinn View Post
This has been my experience as well. LAX, DFW and ORD to/from PVG, PEK and HKG. Granted, few of the SWUs confirmed at booking, but I've never flown in Y on those combinations.
This might change now that AA dropped nearly all ORD-Asia flying.

I can imagine SWUs will be more difficult on the DFW-PEK/PVG route going forward.

LAX-PEK should continue to be about the same I think.
Old Nov 17, 18, 5:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

so basically there is never space to clear at booking? I don't want to gamble because if it comes down to it, I will not fly LAX-HKG in coach, and I don't want to lose the $$$ for a coach fare if it doesn't clear.
embarcadero1 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 18, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
so basically there is never space to clear at booking.
There is not.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: