FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Boeing 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccommodation) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1939333-boeing-737-max-8-crashes-effects-aa-737-max-8s-not-reaccommodation.html)

nk15 Jun 19, 2019 3:29 pm

The whole Boeing attitude seems to continue to be that of cost cutting, save money, sweep everything under the rug, and do the very minimum required to get the plane re-certified. Which does not inspire any confidence.

formeraa Jun 19, 2019 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by nk15 (Post 31220032)
The whole Boeing attitude seems to continue to be that of cost cutting, save money, sweep everything under the rug, and do the very minimum required to get the plane re-certified. Which does not inspire any confidence.

That's an interesting comment! What I see is a systematic failure to communicate major safety issues within the company. It seems like a fairly major problem was identified during testing. Rather than having a "chief safety officer" to whom these types of problems are reported, documented, and tracked, a small isolated team came up with the decision to "extend" the reach of the MCAS system. It appears that many within Boeing and the FAA were totally unaware of the issue and the resulting solution. As a result, a "less than safe" system with inadequate backup was allowed to "solve" the issue. Frankly, at this point, the FAA, airlines, pilots, and Boeing should takes their time and make sure the plane is totally safe before letting it back in the air.

That said, I do agree that Boeing strategically engaged in relentless cost-cutting by relying on the 3rd major redesign/update of a 1960's aircraft. I could have totally seen a redesign/update of the 1980's-designed 757/767 line.

nk15 Jun 19, 2019 5:38 pm

At this point, given that they know that they have an inherently unsafe airframe, they should at least stop production and start redesigning a new plane. That will be the logical thing to do. But of course, if they do this, they realize that they are admitting guilt and an inherently unsafe aircraft. So, they are doubling down on the Max and hope that there will never be another MCAS crash. It is a "damn if you do, damn if you don't" scenario, after having made the original error...

I am guessing it may be a bankruptcy now or bankruptcy later scenario for them (if there is another MCAS-related crash in the future), so they are taking their chances on the later scenario, hoping it will never happen...I am not sure about their finances and the impact of the Max debacle on them, but I am assuming this would be a serious loss either way.

cmd320 Jun 19, 2019 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 31219973)
To be fair, I think JDiver's point is that some of the planes in the 1950s were actual "flying death traps." The 7M8 is not one of those. So I actually don't think it really says anything about the safety of the 7M8 to say that they are not the flying death traps of the 1950s.

I do share your general discomfort with the 7M8, however, and I am not confident that it is as safe as other planes out there today, despite what Boeing and AA pilots say. While that might not be completely rational, I'm probably going to go out of my way to avoid it, at least for a while.

By 1950s standards those aircraft were death traps at the time. By today's standards the MAX is basically a death trap now.

Originally Posted by formeraa (Post 31220375)
That said, I do agree that Boeing strategically engaged in relentless cost-cutting by relying on the 3rd major redesign/update of a 1960's aircraft. I could have totally seen a redesign/update of the 1980's-designed 757/767 line.

Exactly. But Boeing was too worried a re-engined 767 would hurt sales of the 787. An updated 757 would have been exactly what Boeing needs to be offering at this point. The current 737 line isn't even really competitive with the A320 products anymore. Really it never was.

cova Jun 19, 2019 9:10 pm

Why MCAS - train the pilots to fly the aircraft with its characteristics. If he can easily go into a stall, then train pilots to recover from an unexpected stall. Put 3 pilots in the aircraft since autopilot for take off can't be used, and train them how to avoid a stall on takeoff. The MAX requires more full time pilot monitoring.

nk15 Jun 19, 2019 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by cova (Post 31220880)
Why MCAS - train the pilots to fly the aircraft with its characteristics. If he can easily go into a stall, then train pilots to recover from an unexpected stall. Put 3 pilots in the aircraft since autopilot for take off can't be used, and train them how to avoid a stall on takeoff. The MAX requires more full time pilot monitoring.

They need 3 pilots, a priest, and a therapist on every flight...:p

serfty Jun 20, 2019 1:23 am

Originally Posted by nk15 (Post 31220911)
They need 3 pilots, a priest, and a therapist on every flight...:p

Not to mention a specific 737MAX "Type Rating" for the pilots.

Spanish Jun 20, 2019 7:26 am

Every plane over 50,000 kilos needs a flight engineer.

GetSetJetSet Jun 20, 2019 7:43 am

any word if we can no fee change off of these?

VegasGambler Jun 20, 2019 8:47 am

deleted (misread post I was quoting)

JDiver Jun 20, 2019 10:32 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 31222046)
any word if we can no fee change off of these?

For now, generally yes. The question is whether AA is savvy enough to extend the free change option beyond the date the MAX will be back on reliable schedule again - after they’re recertified to fly, the parked MAXes updated as necessary.

For AA that’s mostly a software update, as these birds already have the AoA sensor indicator and disagree warning (but UA and those airlines who decided they didn’t need those will have to have them installed gratis under Boeing’s changes), prepped for service from their preserved status, operating manuals updated, pilots retrained, etc.

Further, the pilots seem quite assertive about wanting simulator time (vs iPad time) and simulators are scarce. (Ironically, AA has an operating A350 simulator at the DFW AA Flight Academy, about as useless as giving a fish a jackhammer, but iirc the sole MAX simulator is at MIA.)

BTW, some of the pilot concerns - and their concerns over Boeing’s original delivery and FAA certification of what many have called out as a defectuous MCAS product that was half-baked when released - can be read in this NPR article (including aviation safety expert Captain Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger).

bchandler02 Jun 20, 2019 11:31 am

One thing I wonder - AA purchased all the options - UA and others didn't. As part of the re-certification process, will all airlines be required to update to the full safety package - and if so, does this help with simulator availability as AA pilots with planes ready to fly would take priority over UA pilots that are still waiting on modifications. Perhaps the simulator concern isn't as big of a deal as some are making it out to be.

Maestro Ramen Jun 20, 2019 11:48 am

I am wondering if AA will try and claim a refund for the AoA option since it paid for it, when other competitors will now get it for free. In addition to the already exorbitant grounding compensation that is.

flyingeph12 Jun 20, 2019 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen (Post 31222885)
I am wondering if AA will try and claim a refund for the AoA option since it paid for it, when other competitors will now get it for free. In addition to the already exorbitant grounding compensation that is.

Are we sure AA "paid" for the AoA options (additional sensor and disagree light)? Although those options were offered as supplemental options to other airlines, as the airline that essentially forced the MAX into existence, could AA have received certain perks that other airlines didn't?

I'm wondering what AA maybe knew about the MAX that other airlines didn't.

formeraa Jun 20, 2019 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 31221329)
Not to mention a specific 737MAX "Type Rating" for the pilots.

That may eventually happen. I might add that Boeing has done a terrible job of managing the public's fears and expectations of this aircraft.