Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Program Changes as of Jan 2019 and EXP EQD Requirement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage program changes have been announced, to be implemented 1 January 2019. In part:

AAdvantage® program updates

What’s new (link)

2019 AAdvantage® program updates

We’re introducing a few updates effective January 1, 2019, for AAdvantage® members, including new qualification requirements for AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status and extra rewards Executive Platinum members can choose.

Additionally, we’re changing how you earn Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) on American and select oneworld® airlines, and what you earn when flying on special fares (such as bulk or consolidator fares) and exception tickets (cases when ticket/fare details are unavailable).

Executive Platinum qualification and rewards

The Elite Qualifying Dollar (EQD) requirement for AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status is increasing from $12,000 EQDs to $15,000 EQDs for the 2020 membership year. (You’ll need to earn $15,000 EQD in 2019 to qualify for Executive Platinum for the Status year beginning 1 Feb 2020.)

NOTE: see Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019 thread on credit card EQD reductions
Upon qualification for Executive Platinum status, members who reach 150,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs), 200,000 EQMs and 250,000 EQMs can choose a reward.

Reach 150,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Gold status

Reach 200,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Platinum status

Reach 250,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Platinum status

You can track your progress toward reaching these reward levels in your account. Once you reach these goals, your reward choices will be available in your wallet.

Earning Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs)

The EQMs you earn on select oneworld® airlines are increasing to be aligned with what you earn when flying on an American-marketed flight. (NOTE: affects JBA one world airlines only)

British Airways
Finnair
Iberia
Japan Airlines

The EQMs earned on American-marketed flights on fares booked in “Y” are decreasing from 1.5 EQMs to 1.0 EQMs per mile flown to be more in line with the ticket value.

Earning on special fare tickets

Earning on special fare tickets

We’re adjusting the award miles, class of service bonus, EQDs and EQMs to match the value of the ticket for select booking codes for travel on American-marketed flights on these ticket types:

Special fares (such as bulk and consolidator fare tickets)
Earning when ticket/fare details are unavailable
In some cases what you earn on these tickets is increasing and in other cases it’s decreasing.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Program Changes as of Jan 2019 and EXP EQD Requirement

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:24 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by krazieman
Actually true. I guess I've never looked at S. Africa flights. Most of my flying is US-Europe, US-Asia.
My new favorite MR now is LAX-BOM on BA metal.

$2600 all in for J with the Chase BA CC & AARP discounts.

Now 40k EQMs and $4,972 EQDs.

You can book this price almost all year and sometimes even on short notice.
GTITAN and Nile_US like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by 355F1
$2600 all in for J with the Chase BA CC & AARP discounts.
wow can you tell me where you find these? Can you PM me so I don't derail this thread?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
This will be Mr. Parker's death sentence

"Those Who Do Not Learn History Are Doomed To Repeat It." -George Santayana

The "Wirehouse" Financial Services Industry Merrill Lynch, UBS, Morgan Stanley, SmithBarney, Prudential Securities, Wells Fargo, Bank of America, J. P. Morgan, and more tried this "Strategy" in 2003-6.

Simply put-"No more poor people". Poor being defined as less than $9,999,999 in investable assets. Corporate Strategy-It was easier and more "cost effective" to deal with the wealthy, than people with less $

Fast forward-2008. There are a finite number of people with $10,000, 000 to invest (who knew?). Advisors were leaving to small organizations that welcomed their "poor" clients, Clients were deserting like it was the Titanic, feeling "unwelcome".. Wirehouse revenues down.

Solution:OMG! Poor people DON"T suck. ALL those CEO's are now "retired".

So, Mr. Parker, Mr Delta, and Mr. Munoz, if some of the biggest , brightest, intelligent, and arrogant MBA's (from some of the "finest" MBA programs in the universe) couldn't make the same strategy you are now embracing religiously following work with people WITH money, what makes YOU think this time it will be different in your $10 makes-a difference-industry?

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

Last edited by Dallas49er; Nov 5, 2018 at 4:36 pm
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by beachfan

F will still be full. For non impacted ExAts already over the $15k EQD, what does it matter how many places below you others are, if they are already below you? Exp Desk is already a shell if it’s former self.

Where is the advantage to high value fliers of the higher EQD requirement,, other than knowing its more exclusive.
Agreed - I flew JFK to AUS, then AUS-DFW-JFK return last week. There were 27 u/g requests to Austin, 49 between AUS and DFW, and a mere 19 returning to JFK. The LGA DFW flights are regularly 30-50 u/g requests, and as such I am regularly about 8th on the list.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
Hi, with the recent draconian changes to FF programs it's becoming virtually impossible next year for me to requalify for the third year of my EXP, especially that $3K for was taken away from us from Aviator Red benefits. I have a legal citizenship in another country. What negative effect would it have on my AA membership if I changed my address there to a different country and hence be exempt from the EQD requirements? Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by foxberg
Hi, with the recent draconian changes to FF programs it's becoming virtually impossible next year for me to requalify for the third year of my EXP, especially that $3K for was taken away from us from Aviator Red benefits. I have a legal citizenship in another country. What negative effect would it have on my AA membership if I changed my address there to a different country and hence be exempt from the EQD requirements? Thanks in advance.
No such exemption exists.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:43 pm

EQD is only a requirement for US based members. If the residence address is in another country then EQD requirement is waved off.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
UA is the program with the foreign address exemption, not AA. Or at least today there's an exemption. Tomorrow it may be gone.
foxberg likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:48 pm

EQD is only a requirement for US based members. If the residence address is in another country then EQD requirement is waved off.
Not on AA.
enviroian and foxberg like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Catbert10
UA is the program with the foreign address exemption, not AA. Or at least today there's an exemption. Tomorrow it may be gone.
I knew about UA exemption and I guess I was mistaken about AA doing the same. I can't find this being mentioned anywhere Maybe it's time to do a status match next year and move to UA then.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by bse118
Increased EQM earnings on partners don't offset higher EQD thresholds..
You do have a possibility of those who, prior to this change, were 15k+ on EQD, but sub 100k on EQM, due to reduced mileage earnings on some partner flights, who now may become EXP due to the increased EQM earned.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:53 pm

I knew about UA exemption and I guess I was mistaken about AA doing the same. I can't find this being mentioned anywhere Maybe it's time to do a status match next year and move to UA then.
Be careful there, as mentioned above "tomorrow it might be gone".

Also, credits earnings on UA are different - you do not earn credits from partner marketed flights (*A mostly) IIRC.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Maybe it’s time to take my $$ to Spirit. What’s their top tired elite level called—super bird??
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
This will knock me out of EXP in 2020 as well. With travel already booked out for the rest of 2018, I'm looking at approximately 100,500 EQM and approximately $14k EQD (with $6k coming from AAviator Silver bonuses) for this year. I can't see a scenario where I go from $8k actual airfare spend up to $12k next year, so it's probably down to PlatPro for me. I agree with some of the posts above, from an domestic upgrade perspective, at least I wouldn't have to start collecting stickers again, and I'd probably be around the same spot on the list anyway relative to where I am now (albeit maybe a little lower after losing $3k in credit card bonus, but so will many others I'm sure). I think the only losses I'd even notice would be the no SWUs (which in the end, we'd probably end up using miles for an F or J award instead of paying a cash fare just to use the SWU, so probably come out ahead there), losing the free award mile reinstatement (which means we'd need more concrete plans before we booked an award) and the loss of free cheese plate when I'm flying in the back (I can dish out the $7 if I'm really hungry I guess). Being based out of PHL, unless I want to start flying Southwest or connect in Chicago (UA) or Atlanta/Detroit (Delta) on every trip, there's not like I have much choice anyway.

Last edited by zzpitt; Nov 5, 2018 at 2:12 pm Reason: Wrong credit card listed
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Catbert10
Both UA and DL have foreign address exemptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.