Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Program Changes as of Jan 2019 and EXP EQD Requirement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage program changes have been announced, to be implemented 1 January 2019. In part:

AAdvantage® program updates

What’s new (link)

2019 AAdvantage® program updates

We’re introducing a few updates effective January 1, 2019, for AAdvantage® members, including new qualification requirements for AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status and extra rewards Executive Platinum members can choose.

Additionally, we’re changing how you earn Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) on American and select oneworld® airlines, and what you earn when flying on special fares (such as bulk or consolidator fares) and exception tickets (cases when ticket/fare details are unavailable).

Executive Platinum qualification and rewards

The Elite Qualifying Dollar (EQD) requirement for AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status is increasing from $12,000 EQDs to $15,000 EQDs for the 2020 membership year. (You’ll need to earn $15,000 EQD in 2019 to qualify for Executive Platinum for the Status year beginning 1 Feb 2020.)

NOTE: see Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019 thread on credit card EQD reductions
Upon qualification for Executive Platinum status, members who reach 150,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs), 200,000 EQMs and 250,000 EQMs can choose a reward.

Reach 150,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Gold status

Reach 200,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Platinum status

Reach 250,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Platinum status

You can track your progress toward reaching these reward levels in your account. Once you reach these goals, your reward choices will be available in your wallet.

Earning Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs)

The EQMs you earn on select oneworld® airlines are increasing to be aligned with what you earn when flying on an American-marketed flight. (NOTE: affects JBA one world airlines only)

British Airways
Finnair
Iberia
Japan Airlines

The EQMs earned on American-marketed flights on fares booked in “Y” are decreasing from 1.5 EQMs to 1.0 EQMs per mile flown to be more in line with the ticket value.

Earning on special fare tickets

Earning on special fare tickets

We’re adjusting the award miles, class of service bonus, EQDs and EQMs to match the value of the ticket for select booking codes for travel on American-marketed flights on these ticket types:

Special fares (such as bulk and consolidator fare tickets)
Earning when ticket/fare details are unavailable
In some cases what you earn on these tickets is increasing and in other cases it’s decreasing.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Program Changes as of Jan 2019 and EXP EQD Requirement

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: CK or bust
Exclamation AAdvantage Program Changes as of Jan 2019 and EXP EQD Requirement

The title says it all.

Thanks a lot United.

On second thought the title is misleading. It should probably read 2020.
Attached Images   

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 5, 2018 at 12:29 pm Reason: Add images of relevant email etc.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Party!
ToddSpam likes this.

Last edited by Abidjan; Nov 5, 2018 at 9:16 am
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
There's more to that...

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...am-updates.jsp

1) 15000 EQD, main change;
2) EQM EQD earnings for JV partners change - EQM seems to be aligned with AA (i.e. 3x for F instead of 1.5x cap).
3) Selections for 150k, 200k and 250k EQM milestones.
4) Special fares EQD "nerf" for some cheap Y codes.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
And full Y is going down to 1 EQM from 1.5 EQMs
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Indeed there are some bright spots on partner EQM earnings with respect to premium cabins effective January 1, 2019.

See example earning tables pre-2019 and 2019 onwards: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...sh-airways.jsp
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Abidjan
Party!
Indeed.

I'm just refreshing the AA forum every few minutes for the upcoming slew of "I'm going free agency, DeltAA is better, etc..." posts.
Abidjan, Zacnlinc, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Helen Keller saw this one coming. I just thought they'd wait a year or so before jumping on the bandwagon. I was wrong.
Zacnlinc, LovePrunes and ToddSpam like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by donotblink
And full Y is going down to 1 EQM from 1.5 EQMs
I would guess that it's supporting the possible eventual move to treat W/P as its own cabin in every respect (particularly when it comes to upgrades).
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
AA seems to be following the losers again..... so very sad
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:51 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Between increasing the EQD requirement to 15K and eliminating the EQD bonuses on the Barclays cards, AA definitely appears to be trying to weed out a lot of low spending EXPs. I wonder what impact this will have on the overall # of EXPs in 2020. Could be good news for those EXPs that remain in terms of upgrade competition, service levels, etc. ... or not.
sailor279 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
So those crappy BA J/F flights will give more EQMs now, but so what, it'll be hard to get the EQDs.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Indeed.

I'm just refreshing the AA forum every few minutes for the upcoming slew of "I'm going free agency, DeltAA is better, etc..." posts.
There are already a lot on OMAAT etc
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by gmt4
Helen Keller saw this one coming. I just thought they'd wait a year or so before jumping on the bandwagon. I was wrong.
Come on, there isn't an original idea floating around AA HQ anymore. I'm actually surprised they waited this long.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
I'm actually ok with this, I'll hit just barely over 100k with 15k spend, I fly a ton on AY so earning 2.00 eqm per mile on business tickets is fantastic, would have put me at an extra 40,000 eqm this year.
dp4m likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Indeed.

Delta has had a requirement of $15K spend for Diamond going back at least three years. For 2018 (for 2019 elite status), the Delta Amex spend requirement to waive that rose to $250,000. (No, I didn't slip in an extra zero.)

https://onemileatatime.com/delta-dia...pend-increase/
BenA, wrp96 and enpremiere like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.