Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Program Changes as of Jan 2019 and EXP EQD Requirement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage program changes have been announced, to be implemented 1 January 2019. In part:

AAdvantage® program updates

What’s new (link)

2019 AAdvantage® program updates

We’re introducing a few updates effective January 1, 2019, for AAdvantage® members, including new qualification requirements for AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status and extra rewards Executive Platinum members can choose.

Additionally, we’re changing how you earn Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) on American and select oneworld® airlines, and what you earn when flying on special fares (such as bulk or consolidator fares) and exception tickets (cases when ticket/fare details are unavailable).

Executive Platinum qualification and rewards

The Elite Qualifying Dollar (EQD) requirement for AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status is increasing from $12,000 EQDs to $15,000 EQDs for the 2020 membership year. (You’ll need to earn $15,000 EQD in 2019 to qualify for Executive Platinum for the Status year beginning 1 Feb 2020.)

NOTE: see Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019 thread on credit card EQD reductions
Upon qualification for Executive Platinum status, members who reach 150,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs), 200,000 EQMs and 250,000 EQMs can choose a reward.

Reach 150,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Gold status

Reach 200,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Platinum status

Reach 250,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Platinum status

You can track your progress toward reaching these reward levels in your account. Once you reach these goals, your reward choices will be available in your wallet.

Earning Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs)

The EQMs you earn on select oneworld® airlines are increasing to be aligned with what you earn when flying on an American-marketed flight. (NOTE: affects JBA one world airlines only)

British Airways
Finnair
Iberia
Japan Airlines

The EQMs earned on American-marketed flights on fares booked in “Y” are decreasing from 1.5 EQMs to 1.0 EQMs per mile flown to be more in line with the ticket value.

Earning on special fare tickets

Earning on special fare tickets

We’re adjusting the award miles, class of service bonus, EQDs and EQMs to match the value of the ticket for select booking codes for travel on American-marketed flights on these ticket types:

Special fares (such as bulk and consolidator fare tickets)
Earning when ticket/fare details are unavailable
In some cases what you earn on these tickets is increasing and in other cases it’s decreasing.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Program Changes as of Jan 2019 and EXP EQD Requirement

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Part of the issue here might be that Bridget Blaise-Shamai doesn't have credit card spend as a key preference indicator on her end of the year performance metrics. I think revenue from Barclaycard buying miles will tank and someone may get fired for millions in lost revenue due to these changes.

$25k can get you in the upper echelon of status on United and Delta, while $50k in CC spend on AA would only get you AA's lowest teir status. AA is lagging behind the competition in this space.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Be careful there, as mentioned above "tomorrow it might be gone".

Also, credits earnings on UA are different - you do not earn credits from partner marketed flights (*A mostly) IIRC.
When I looked at their earning structure I saw more options of earning 100% EQM with *A then with AA partners, more C booking choices for the purpose. I'm trying to find their Vacations earning structure but can't locate it so far. AA has a very detailed page about their vacations credits.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:42 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by foxberg
I knew about UA exemption and I guess I was mistaken about AA doing the same. I can't find this being mentioned anywhere Maybe it's time to do a status match next year and move to UA then.
This is ancedotal but I have heard UA doesn’t make changing address from US to a foreign address easy. Will require quite more legwork than just going into your profile and changing the address.

Best of luck.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink
Part of the issue here might be that Bridget Blaise-Shamai doesn't have credit card spend as a key preference indicator on her end of the year performance metrics. I think revenue from Barclaycard buying miles will tank and someone may get fired for millions in lost revenue due to these changes.

$25k can get you in the upper echelon of status on United and Delta, while $50k in CC spend on AA would only get you AA's lowest teir status. AA is lagging behind the competition in this space.
But for 1K on UA you still need the full PQD.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
This is ancedotal but I have heard UA doesn’t make changing address from US to a foreign address easy. Will require quite more legwork than just going into your profile and changing the address.

Best of luck.
I can simply open a new account, wouldn't make much difference to me.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
This is the direction the airline industry is going. Those that get "free stuff" will be paying for that "free stuff" indirectly, as most loyalty programs require. Next up will be the loss of complimentary upgrades for GLD and PLT (outside of paying for stickers.) Also good chance loss of MCE for PLT, or a required co-pay.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Not even close. DL raised the spend requirement for MQD waiver to $250k.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by swingaling

Not even close. DL raised the spend requirement for MQD waiver to $250k.
If one spends $250K a year on a CC it's cheaper to get (if invited) AmEx Black, pay $2,5K annual fee and be Dimond for as long as you have the card.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
If one spends $250K a year on a CC it's cheaper to get (if invited) AmEx Black, pay $2,5K annual fee and be Dimond for as long as you have the card.
If one is spending $250K a year period I don’t think they are worried where they are sitting in an airplane.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
When I looked at their earning structure I saw more options of earning 100% EQM with *A then with AA partners, more C booking choices for the purpose. I'm trying to find their Vacations earning structure but can't locate it so far. AA has a very detailed page about their vacations credits.
I believe *A earns by operating airlines, instead of marketing airlines, but I might be wrong as I don't fly UA unless IRROPS.

As others mentioned, it's the general trend of domestic airlines now. I am still grateful it won't be as hard as getting CX DM....
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by krazieman
So those crappy BA J/F flights will give more EQMs now, but so what, it'll be hard to get the EQDs.
+1

Not taking inferior product & services just to get more EQM. Yeah, DeltAA, or AS
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hilton, IHG
In my experience, the most common reason I flew on a Y fare was a rebooking due to irregular operations or other reservation foul up. So I didn't actually pay for full fare Y, but I got the 1.5x multiplier.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC

Except for it doesn't

DL requires 250K for top tier diamond
United requires unobtanium spend for top tier 1K ie - you can only qualify for Platinum on spend ie second tier
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
I believe *A earns by operating airlines, instead of marketing airlines, but I might be wrong as I don't fly UA unless IRROPS.

As others mentioned, it's the general trend of domestic airlines now. I am still grateful it won't be as hard as getting CX DM....
If the ticket starts with 016 then it's UA structure for RDM, same as on AA. I'll need to browse UA forums for rules on vacations bookings.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by bse118
Increased EQM earnings on partners don't offset higher EQD thresholds..

Ehh, that isn't how I phrased it.

The overall changes would kick-out from the elite club (or make them pay up) those elites with enough miles but 'only' getting 12-15K EQDs, sure. But on the other hand, the changes could elevate PlatPros who have 15K EQDs but below 100K EQM by giving them more EQMs on any partner flights. Does the ExecPlat group really shrink? Or does it merely shift around, in better favor of international jet-setters with a mixture of AA/partner flights but over 15K spend, while shunning anyone with <15K in spend (even if it is all on AA metal).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.