Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Program Changes as of Jan 2019 and EXP EQD Requirement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage program changes have been announced, to be implemented 1 January 2019. In part:

AAdvantage® program updates

What’s new (link)

2019 AAdvantage® program updates

We’re introducing a few updates effective January 1, 2019, for AAdvantage® members, including new qualification requirements for AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status and extra rewards Executive Platinum members can choose.

Additionally, we’re changing how you earn Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) on American and select oneworld® airlines, and what you earn when flying on special fares (such as bulk or consolidator fares) and exception tickets (cases when ticket/fare details are unavailable).

Executive Platinum qualification and rewards

The Elite Qualifying Dollar (EQD) requirement for AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status is increasing from $12,000 EQDs to $15,000 EQDs for the 2020 membership year. (You’ll need to earn $15,000 EQD in 2019 to qualify for Executive Platinum for the Status year beginning 1 Feb 2020.)

NOTE: see Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019 thread on credit card EQD reductions
Upon qualification for Executive Platinum status, members who reach 150,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs), 200,000 EQMs and 250,000 EQMs can choose a reward.

Reach 150,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Gold status

Reach 200,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Platinum status

Reach 250,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Platinum status

You can track your progress toward reaching these reward levels in your account. Once you reach these goals, your reward choices will be available in your wallet.

Earning Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs)

The EQMs you earn on select oneworld® airlines are increasing to be aligned with what you earn when flying on an American-marketed flight. (NOTE: affects JBA one world airlines only)

British Airways
Finnair
Iberia
Japan Airlines

The EQMs earned on American-marketed flights on fares booked in “Y” are decreasing from 1.5 EQMs to 1.0 EQMs per mile flown to be more in line with the ticket value.

Earning on special fare tickets

Earning on special fare tickets

We’re adjusting the award miles, class of service bonus, EQDs and EQMs to match the value of the ticket for select booking codes for travel on American-marketed flights on these ticket types:

Special fares (such as bulk and consolidator fare tickets)
Earning when ticket/fare details are unavailable
In some cases what you earn on these tickets is increasing and in other cases it’s decreasing.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Program Changes as of Jan 2019 and EXP EQD Requirement

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
$250k is not really that much spend.
No, not at all.

Not at all.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by foxberg
Hi, with the recent draconian changes to FF programs it's becoming virtually impossible next year for me to requalify for the third year of my EXP, especially that $3K for was taken away from us from Aviator Red benefits. I have a legal citizenship in another country. What negative effect would it have on my AA membership if I changed my address there to a different country and hence be exempt from the EQD requirements? Thanks in advance.
When did AA remove EQD requirements for those outsde the USA
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dr-Fly4Free
THIS IS OVER FOR ME:
Man, if I had a dime (a nickel even!) for everyone that has said this on FT in the years I've been on here... well... I wouldn't be wasting my time on FT, that is for sure.

Regards
Zacnlinc, wrp96, 355F1 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
They did not (as I think you know). This particular poster seems to be on a posting tear today, but perhaps should step back from the keyboard for a bit, catch their breath and perhaps study the playing field rather than continuing to lob incorrect information grenades into the mix at a rapid fire pace...

Regards
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
Originally Posted by swingaling

You’re conflating two separate issues and using imprecise terminology.

You mentioned 001 stock in your previous post. Plating is 100% irrelevant to AAdvantage earnings.

Essentially, all that matters is marketing carrier, fare basis and operating carrier. It doesn’t matter if it’s a 001 or a 016 or a 157 ticket. As long as it’s marketed and operated by an appropriate carrier (AA, BA, AY, CX, etc), it will earn EQD and EQM with AAdvantage.

When flying an AY marketed flight and crediting to AA, you earn based on the AY partner earning chart on aa.com. Regardless of which airline issues the ticket.
I see, we're talking about the same. For me, AA marketed flight is the one that has 001 ticket. I didn't know that it's possible to have AA ticket when the flight is marketed by someone else.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I thought they did just like UA. Everyone seems to alter their program alongside the others. But this wasn't the case unfortunately.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by donotblink
Part of the issue here might be that Bridget Blaise-Shamai doesn't have credit card spend as a key preference indicator on her end of the year performance metrics. I think revenue from Barclaycard buying miles will tank and someone may get fired for millions in lost revenue due to these changes.

$25k can get you in the upper echelon of status on United and Delta, while $50k in CC spend on AA would only get you AA's lowest teir status. AA is lagging behind the competition in this space.
$25k across the Club & Explorer cards only gets you to platinum on UA.

Clearly AA is placing the most value in actual airfare spend with them instead of card partners like UA.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I will have had EQDs of between $16-17K this year and last—those numbers do include $3K last year and 6K this year from CC spend, so the new requirements would be doable for me if I chose (particularly for next year, as I UGed my Barclaycard to Silver earlier this year, so presumably I could still get $6K credit from CC spend in 2019)), but I’d previously decided not to bother next year to requalify—too much work for too little gain. I plan to keep BAEC Gold, so my primary loss will be free cancellation of award tickets, but paying those fees 2-3 times a year will be a lot cheaper than paying for flights I could take on award tickets. I have very few domestic flights, so the free cheese in the back isn’t much of an issue for me.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by econometrics
There are no changes to the earnings on CX. https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp

These changes are with BA, IB, JL, and AY.
I wonder why not all OW members....?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I wonder why not all OW members....?
The partners with improved EQM earnings are those for which AA has joint ventures with.
JDiver and C17PSGR like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
wow can you tell me where you find these? Can you PM me so I don't derail this thread?
Hey, I want to know too!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:59 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Let me know (please) if I'm thinking this through clearly:

We are both LT Plat, so we can rest on that. Let's say that we're not going to try for EXP again (after like 10 years) in 2019. Then we have OW Sapphire, Business Lounges, etc.

Now, we shoot for BA Silver. 600 Tier Points. Looks like a SFO-MIA or SFO_JFK 2-class business nets 140 Tier Points. So only about 4 of these.

While still Sapphire this also affords AC and FL access on AA domestic flights.

Is it that straightforward, or am I miscalculating?

Cheers.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bse118

Not about upgrades. Not about any one benefit on any one flight. Not about expecting improvements. About retaining existing benefits and the "cost" of those benefits based on how large the population is.
Outside upgrades many of the other benefits are defined by OW also history shows us that the reduction of benefits is primarily driven by the actions of DL and to a lesser degree UA not the number of members. In short they will give a little as they feel they can based on what the competition provides and that will be the case if there are 10,000 or 10,000,000 EXPs. When EQDs were introduced I would assume that had an effect on the number of people meeting all thresholds, unless I missed something we didn't get any additional benefits and in fact the number of SWUs were cut in half.

I've been a management consultant...I know how they think.
So you should know better
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by brp
Let me know (please) if I'm thinking this through clearly:

We are both LT Plat, so we can rest on that. Let's say that we're not going to try for EXP again (after like 10 years) in 2019. Then we have OW Sapphire, Business Lounges, etc.

Now, we shoot for BA Silver. 600 Tier Points. Looks like a SFO-MIA or SFO_JFK 2-class business nets 140 Tier Points. So only about 4 of these.

While still Sapphire this also affords AC and FL access on AA domestic flights.

Is it that straightforward, or am I miscalculating?

Cheers.

It seems about right - but question would seem to be whether the number of award miles thrown at getting BA Silver is more or less than the cost of buying AC membership ?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO

$25k amex spend on Delta will still get you to Plat level which is upper echelon.
No it won't

$25K Amex spend plus 75,000 EQM's will

All the credit card spend does on DL is eliminate the EQD requirement ($25K spend eliminates EQD for Silver/Gold/Plat and $250K eliminates it for Diamond)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.