Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Considering Status Run for EXP -- Worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

I got offered a Status Challenge by AA in the mail and I am now seriously thinking of doing a Status Run to get up to Executive Platinum (35,000 EQMs)

What hurts is that I got this in the mail after I came back from Hong Kong and I had 12,000 EQMs post on my paid flight on Cathay flight that missed this by 2 days!! And believe me I called and called to see if they could backdate.

I have a small window of time in November when I'm visiting family in Seoul when I can do it. So far the best deal I could find is PEK-HKG-LAX on Cathay in J for $2300 that would net me 25,000 EQMs for the round trip. Should I do it? I’d land at 1pm LA time and then get back on the plane at 11pm.

This was much more appealing when I thought I had 12K EQMs in the bag, but even with out it I figure I could make up the remaining 10K with domestic work trips that come up from now until early Jan.

I probably do 1-2 domestic trips per month on average for work, and then Asia 3x yearly and Europe 2-3x yearly. I usually book with points for J for longhauls.

I need some moral support -- is EXP worth it? Would you guys do the same?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
1. For your domestic runs, do you book Y or J
2. Are they long flights?
3. How much do you value upgrades?
4. How much would a MR run cost you? And would you enjoy it?

There isn't a universal answer to this. I probably would do it, but I'm also a travel nut who loves being on an airplane.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
1. For your domestic runs, do you book Y or J
2. Are they long flights?
3. How much do you value upgrades?
4. How much would a MR run cost you? And would you enjoy it?

There isn't a universal answer to this. I probably would do it, but I'm also a travel nut who loves being on an airplane.
1. I always book Y for domestic trips as they are work trips.
2. I do transcon 1 out of 3 flights
3. I value them mostly on transcon/lie-flats and when I fly with my family (we have a 1.5 yr old daughter). Otherwise I couldn't care about domestic "First Class"
4. It would cost $2300 and yes I probably would enjoy it. As much I like flying in J or F, I have never done a back to back flight, though

On another note, I just called AA to verify flights on CX count toward the challenge. Apparently they don't. I was considering QF and CX for this but its only BA, Finn Air, JAL or Iberia. Good thing I checked before I booked this ticket!

If anyone knows differently, please let me know.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:48 pm

Spending money on flights just to meet EQD requirements, and angry about it

You really should read this thread before you want to be in a self-created prison as John describes.

No.2: You will probably hate yourself because any challenges will have to be in AA-operated or JV-partners flight. CX isn't on the list.
JDiver, JonNYC, GTITAN and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:32 pm

I have to admit some of these threads are fun to me.

You and only you can decide if it is worth it. My self it may be worth it at end of year cause my EQM may be short. My rolling eqd keeps me at top of upgrade list out of dfw about 80% of the time. If dropped to PP my upgrades would drop dramatically. Upgrades are the only thing keeping me loyal.

As always it depends on what you want out of EP?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yang1900
1. I always book Y for domestic trips as they are work trips.
2. I do transcon 1 out of 3 flights
3. I value them mostly on transcon/lie-flats and when I fly with my family (we have a 1.5 yr old daughter). Otherwise I couldn't care about domestic "First Class"
4. It would cost $2300 and yes I probably would enjoy it. As much I like flying in J or F, I have never done a back to back flight, though

On another note, I just called AA to verify flights on CX count toward the challenge. Apparently they don't. I was considering QF and CX for this but its only BA, Finn Air, JAL or Iberia. Good thing I checked before I booked this ticket!

If anyone knows differently, please let me know.
Honestly, I would use that 2300 towards a miles + copay upgrade on every transcon. probably a better UG chance than complimentary/stickers and a third of the price.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Yes, upgrades would be the primary reason I wanted to get EXP. I can do points+cash upgrade but when we are flying 3 people, status would help upgrade the family (I assume). Plus SWU would be good too.

So I shouldn’t be so miffed about those CX flights not crediting since they wouldn’t have counted. Oh well.

I’m now looking at ICN-LHR-HEL on BA and AY for $2300 now.

Since I’m a Cc churner, I have not had the need to be loyal to any one airline. I book into J and F far more frequently now than when I used to have elite status (Delta, United, Air France). So being able to take a short cut to EXP is all cake for me (sorry lifetime AA loyalists)

One question about the SWU—does your ability to use them during booking directly correspond to award space avail? I have searched for AA awards for some Asia routes and its slim pickin’s.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by Antarius
Honestly, I would use that 2300 towards a miles + copay upgrade on every transcon. probably a better UG chance than complimentary/stickers and a third of the price.
^ ^ ^

I have come to appreciate the 15k+$75 more lately, when combined with just buying F on shorter trips. I may only be Gold but I'm the one sitting in F.
wrp96 and fotographer like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
Spending money on flights just to meet EQD requirements, and angry about it

You really should read this thread before you want to be in a self-created prison as John describes.

No.2: You will probably hate yourself because any challenges will have to be in AA-operated or JV-partners flight. CX isn't on the list.
My situation is different:

In mine, the price of obtaining the same product that I've had for years (Platinum status) was effectively increased by an airline that faces little competition due to some recent mergers and has strong, anti-competitive tactics and pricing power.

In this case, the OP is considering spending more for a different and better product: a higher level of status.

OP, $2300 is pretty steep and it sounds like you travel in style anyway, so I'd decline, unless you just want to see family again.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:01 pm

OWE is pretty sweet. Where are you located?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, upgrades would be the primary reason I wanted to get EXP. I can do points+cash upgrade but when we are flying 3 people, status would help upgrade the family (I assume). Plus SWU would be good too.

So I shouldn’t be so miffed about those CX flights not crediting since they wouldn’t have counted. Oh well.

Since I’m a Cc churner, I have not had the need to be loyal to any one airline. I book into J and F far more frequently now than when I used to have elite status (Delta, United, Air France). So being able to take a short cut to EXP is all cake for me (sorry lifetime AA loyalists)

One question about the SWU—does your ability to use them during booking directly correspond to award space avail? I have searched for AA awards for some Asia routes and its slim pickin’s.
For domestic transcons and a family of 3, you would need 3 SWUs one way. Thats 75 x 3 USD + 45k miles. Status will help in the sense that if you are in a waitlist situation, it goes by status. If there is availability in advance, it doesn't matter.

Status > no status for sure. The question is what is the benefit worth. If 2300 USD is nothing to you (or isn't a major expense), then by all means go for it. That couples with miles + copay and you should be as good as one can be.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

SWU can only be used on AA operated and marketed flights. They book when the proper upgrade fare code (not the same as award space) is available (rarely that might be available at booking, but not often). See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html.

Your status may help one travel companion with higher upgrade priority.

Even as EP, you will lose out in upgrade priority to Concierge Keys and to EPs with higher EQD spend in the last 12 months than you. See Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

EP is not an upgrade panacea. But if the status appeals to you and you feel it’s justified, go for it.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
So far the best deal I could find is PEK-HKG-LAX on Cathay in J for $2300
Wow that's an amazing price. Was that a special promotion I assume? I paid $2K to fly dfw-lhr in June in coach. Granted that is high season but still.

Let me guess...that fare isn't available dfw-xxx-hkg/pek
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
Wow that's an amazing price. Was that a special promotion I assume? I paid $2K to fly dfw-lhr in June in coach. Granted that is high season but still.

Let me guess...that fare isn't available dfw-xxx-hkg/pek
Correct. For some reason flights ex-PEK are really cheap. I wanted to fly out of ICN so I searched ICN, TYO, PVG, PEK and HKG since I could easily position. Flights in J ex-US are a rip off.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

I’m based out of New York

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.