Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Spending money on flights just to meet EQD requirements, and angry about it

Old Sep 29, 18, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

Trying to be proactive, I figured out my EQMs and EQDs for the rest of the year and realized that I'm heading towards a shortfall in EQDs. So I just plotted out my travel for the rest of the year and will be forking over about $700 more than I otherwise would have spent, all for first class tickets when I would ordinarily book coach in order to meet EQD requirements.

I'm angry. I've been a loyal customer of AA and US Airways for decades. I feel as though I am totally wasting $700 just because a near-monopoly business basically requires one to have Platinum or higher status in order to have a decent experience flying, and the near-monopoly business has made it much harder to reach higher-tier status by adding EQD requirements.

I guess I'd be livid if I had to pay a fee to keep status, without at least getting some first-class trips out of it, so I shouldn't be that mad, but I am.

How many others are mad about feeling as though they wasted money just to meet elite requalification requirements that are increasingly harder to attain?

For those of us who actually pay the fee to keep status (which can be up to over $1,000), are you even angrier?
Old Sep 29, 18, 4:57 pm
Suspended

This is an entirely self-created prison.
Old Sep 29, 18, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
This is an entirely self-created prison.
It's PARTIALLY self-created.

If we had true competition in the airline business, with numerous carriers that customers could legitimately pick from for competitive products, then legacy airlines wouldn't have been able to get away with imposing EQD requirements a few years ago; elite status would have been still based on miles or segments only, regardless of spending. And I thus wouldn't need to do this.

This is PARTIALLY created by allowing near-monopoly network airlines that can extract more cash out of customers who don't have a real choice for their travel needs.
Old Sep 29, 18, 5:17 pm

You may be angry, but Doug is smiling.
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
How about a Barclaycard Aviator card to sheep-dip expenses through, earning EQD and AA miles?
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spongenotbob View Post
You may be angry, but Doug is smiling.

Yes, I did exactly what he wanted: forked over more cash for the same status I've had for years. AA's lobbyists succeeded!
Old Sep 29, 18, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
American Airlines CEO: We'll Never Lose Money Again

Old Sep 29, 18, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
How about a Barclaycard Aviator card to sheep-dip expenses through, earning EQD and AA miles?
Thanks- great idea. I have one, but unfortunately business spending was lower this year than in years past (which does not affect my pay at all, but caused this).

I'd like to add up all of the cash that AA got from me this year that does not count as EQDs and it would be substantial (in addition to the EQDs).
Old Sep 29, 18, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter View Post
Yes, I did exactly what he wanted: forked over more cash for the same status I've had for years. AA's lobbyists succeeded!
Why is it worth it? AA’s service standards continue to drop and if you’re based in NY or commuting to NY, you likely have a lot of choices and AA probably isn’t the even best choice for you network-wise given its shrinking presence there.
LAX_BillyJoe likes this.
Old Sep 29, 18, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Everyone doesn't get ribbons for participation. Put your big boy pants on, spend the $700 and do so that you wring every last mile out of that $700.
CPRich, awayIgo, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 29, 18, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
It could get even worse with the United news this week.
adambadam and razzaba like this.
Old Sep 29, 18, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter View Post
Trying to be proactive, I figured out my EQMs and EQDs for the rest of the year and realized that I'm heading towards a shortfall in EQDs. So I just plotted out my travel for the rest of the year and will be forking over about $700 more than I otherwise would have spent, all for first class tickets when I would ordinarily book coach in order to meet EQD requirements.

I'm angry. I've been a loyal customer of AA and US Airways for decades. I feel as though I am totally wasting $700 just because a near-monopoly business basically requires one to have Platinum or higher status in order to have a decent experience flying, and the near-monopoly business has made it much harder to reach higher-tier status by adding EQD requirements.

I guess I'd be livid if I had to pay a fee to keep status, without at least getting some first-class trips out of it, so I shouldn't be that mad, but I am.

How many others are mad about feeling as though they wasted money just to meet elite requalification requirements that are increasingly harder to attain?

For those of us who actually pay the fee to keep status (which can be up to over $1,000), are you even angrier?
Honestly do not understand this. We had the airlines over the barrel for 20-30 years. Now the tables have turned. Deal with it or don’t. No reason to give it more then 30-40 minutes a week thinking about it.
Old Sep 29, 18, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TXguy View Post

Why is it worth it? AA’s service standards continue to drop and if you’re based in NY or commuting to NY, you likely have a lot of choices and AA probably isn’t the even best choice for you network-wise given its shrinking presence there.
I travel to the same place over and over and over. I have no real choice whatsoever. Delta is the only other semi-realistic option but it would lead to significantly longer trips.

Originally Posted by shaddie View Post

Honestly do not understand this. We had the airlines over the barrel for 20-30 years. Now the tables have turned. Deal with it or don’t. No reason to give it more then 30-40 minutes a week thinking about it.
How did we have "the airlines over the barrel for 20-30 years"? And when?

Airlines ran passenger railroads out of business. Airlines did fine.
Then airlines were still highly regulated, with limited competition among each other and fixed minimum fares. Airlines did fine.
In the '80s there was deregulation and some business turbulence, but that didn't last more than 5-10 years, and some thrived.
Post-9/11 they suffered, but they were bailed out with tax dollars. None of the main ones went out of business despite that and the low-cost carrier trend.
Now airlines are making slews of money.

Antitrust enforcement should never have allowed just a few airlines to nearly monopolize so many routes, leaving such little consumer choice, and erecting such high barriers to entry. More competition would leader to greater benefits for more people, and a more efficient airline industry.

Last edited by ibrandsguest; Sep 29, 18 at 6:12 pm
Old Sep 29, 18, 6:09 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Not partial self created, entirely self-created. As people warn elsewhere on FT, seeking terminal end status for programs is a disease here.
Old Sep 29, 18, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Explorer789 View Post
Not partial self created, entirely self-created. As people warn elsewhere on FT, seeking terminal end status for programs is a disease here.
That's just not the case, as I've already pointed out. I may be even mostly responsible for this, but near-monopoly businesses that have limited consumer choice play a role. Not looking at the big economic picture leads to less-desirable outcomes for both the industry and consumers. More competition among carriers is a good thing for everyone.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: