Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA can't fly as many pax back to the mainland as they fly from the mainland to Hawaii

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA can't fly as many pax back to the mainland as they fly from the mainland to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by donotblink
I don't understand this--is this because of cargo demand from Hawaii to the continental US? I would think there would be more demand in the other direction for cargo.
It is simpler than you think - AA uses the wrong equipment for the routes.

UA uses B738 with SFP package to resolve the technological difficulties with airports like LIH. While AS uses B738 for the routes, it is very likely that AS uses those B738s with SFP package as well for the same reason.

AA has B738. But I am not certain that SFP package has been installed.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by formeraa
I wonder how a 757 Max would be selling right about now. Too bad, Boeing didn't try it...
Wendover has a great video about the 757 and its potential replacements:
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by ESpen36
No; Santa Cruz was a tech stop. The origin, La Paz (El Alto Airport), is so high (13,325 ft) that even the 757 cannot take off with enough fuel to make it back to MIA. So, the bird took off with a minimal fuel load, then made a stop at the much-lower Santa Cruz airport to take on enough fuel for the intercontinental flight.
Great explanation! I have an upcoming MIA-VVI flight. My original booking still had the La Paz stop, but have since dropped it. I was looking forward to that take off.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by formeraa
Well, AA could have kept enough 757s for Hawaii service, until the 321neo/737MAX8 were certified, but someone (DP) didn't think far enough ahead. Very short-sighted management decisions.

The other issue is why are they waiting until all passengers are on the plane. That is simply poor operational planning. If they need to block seats regularly, why don't they simply reduce the capacity of the plane for booking purposes???
The problem is that it's very inefficient and costly to operate very small numbers of an aircraft type. Training, including pilot certification and scheduling, cabin crew training (with most USA airlines requiring FAs to be qualified on all aircraft in the fleet, maintenance (including training), parts (including inventory costs at various hubs), etc. really become expensive, although the minumum number of matching aircraft needed to obtain most of the efficiently gains is actually very reasonable. In fact, in an earlier era, the number was documented to be about six in a study by the CAB that helped to support the move to deregulate airlines.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by cedric
Keeping a subfleet that's less fuel efficient for a particular route doesn't exactly sound like it would be a "good" management decision. I'm not sure why you believe this is short-sighted - the choice could well be current aircraft, or none at all.
And certainly the other issue cannot be planned for in advance. Winds, routing, the amount of baggage each person brings with them, not to mention no show patterns are all variable.
Sure, you could always undersell the flight. But then you would be preventing people from purchasing tickets and getting home on the day that they want when on certain days, the aircraft could have made it just fine. And underselling would eat into the financials of the route, which could mean that not operating it at all becomes more economical.
I would think that certain, constant, multiple IDBs every time that flight completed boarding would, um, eat into the financials of the route. @:-)
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:02 am

I highly doubt that "certain, constant, multiple IDBs" are occurring.
Not every flight books to 100%.
Not every departure faces the same prevailing winds, weather, temperature, etc.
The $5400 paid out in compensation on the flight referenced above pales in comparison to the cost of maintaining a fleet of aging aircraft for a specific route.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I highly doubt that "certain, constant, multiple IDBs" are occurring.
Not every flight books to 100%.
Not every departure faces the same prevailing winds, weather, temperature, etc.
The $5400 paid out in compensation on the flight referenced above pales in comparison to the cost of maintaining a fleet of aging aircraft for a specific route.
Gary quotes someone from AA saying:

From my understanding we leave people in Hawaii every day because the Airbus can’t make it back to Phoenix with a full load, is that our plan to take people somewhere where we can’t bring them all back?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Keeping a subfleet that's less fuel efficient for a particular route doesn't exactly sound like it would be a "good" management decision. I'm not sure why you believe this is short-sighted - the choice could well be current aircraft, or none at all.
And certainly the other issue cannot be planned for in advance. Winds, routing, the amount of baggage each person brings with them, not to mention no show patterns are all variable.
Sure, you could always undersell the flight. But then you would be preventing people from purchasing tickets and getting home on the day that they want when on certain days, the aircraft could have made it just fine. And underselling would eat into the financials of the route, which could mean that not operating it at all becomes more economical.
That sounds like the endless rationalization offered by United with its frequent Goose Bay and Bangor fuel stops on westbound winter TATL 757s. Finally they upgauged some routes and killed others.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Gary quotes someone from AA saying:
Phoenix to Hawaii is still operated by 757's so I am confused by the entire conversation.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by dls25
Phoenix to Hawaii is still operated by 757's so I am confused by the entire conversation.
The conversation is about the flights to LAX, which are on 321s.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Looks like its time to book a trip to LIH and get a few extra dollars courtesy of AA. Which FT regular would -not- see this as an opportunity???
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Looks like its time to book a trip to LIH and get a few extra dollars courtesy of AA. Which FT regular would -not- see this as an opportunity???
I suspect the algorithm will correct the oversold situation, and will reduce ticket sales for those flight.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by Science Goy
The conversation is about the flights to LAX, which are on 321s.
"From my understanding we leave people in Hawaii every day because the Airbus can’t make it back to Phoenix with a full load, is that our plan to take people somewhere where we can’t bring them all back?"
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by dls25
"From my understanding we leave people in Hawaii every day because the Airbus can’t make it back to Phoenix with a full load, is that our plan to take people somewhere where we can’t bring them all back?"
My mistake.
I suspect the employee asking the question misspoke, especially given the follow-up from management about weight restrictions to LAX (and, as you pointed out, AA doesn't fly A321s between Hawaii and PHX).

Along those lines, I suspect the employee's assertion that they leave people in Hawaii "every day" is a substantial exaggeration, at the very least.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Where am I when these $700-$1K bump opportunities come about? I'd stay in HI an extra day, no problem, particularly if AA picks up the hotel tab.
solewalker likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.