Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight attendant threatened to ‘spank’ me

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

I’m guilty. I got up to pee before the fasten seatbelt sign was turned off. Regardless, it was turned off a few moments before I reached the forward lav. A female flight attendant (perhaps in her 50s) was sitting in her jump-seat and made eye contact with me, and then said, “Good thing the captain turned off that seatbelt sign, or else you’d get a spanking!” I just awkwardly smiled and then went in the lav. FWIW and perspective, I am a 34 guy and I was wearing a work suit.

Approximately 10 minutes after I returned to my seat, the seatbelt sign illuminated again followed by a standard announcement from the captain about temporary turbulence. The same FA walked down the aisle and we somehow made eye contact with me again. She smiled and made a gesture as if she were spanking me and said “Don’t get up or else it will hurt to sit back down!” She said this in a playful/non-threatening way so I just awkwardly smiled again. The FA continued down the aisle out of earshot.

A man next to me (perhaps in his 70s) made a comment about how “she’s your momma tonight”. I didn’t want to talk to him, so I just made a comment about how I’ll “behave” for the rest of the flight, and then inserted my earbuds. Suddenly, a woman in front of us (perhaps in her early 20s) turned around and shouted, “You are both pigs, she didn’t mean it in a dirty way. She wasn’t going to give the spanking herself, she meant the captain would do it.”

The older gentleman and younger woman bickered for a little bit... long enough to make me blush while pretending to listen to music. It all settled down, and the rest of the flight was uneventful. Well, at least for a flight where multiple people discussed spanking me.

Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
The FA was totally unprofessional regardless of intent.

If a guy FA said that to a woman, he’d be in hot water.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Was this after takeoff? AA pilots seem to forget to turn the sign off or wait nearly an hour inflight. I’ve gotten up for the lav before when there were no bumps and never threatened with a spanking. Air travel seems to bring out the weirdo factor.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Not your average first post....
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
It would be if he had asked about the appropriate level of compensation.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Would said spanking result in the assessment of a a co-pay?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: Delta PM
The only person who was inappropriate in this situation was the lady in butted in, in front of OP.

This was typical banter made in an attempt to address a problematic issue. I'm sure in recent years, the FA's have been beaten around the head and shoulders about people out of seats with FSB on.
In the past, everyone understood that when somebody has to go, they have to "go".

I'm sure the airlines don't want people injured (they pay) so FSB is on more and more and cabin crews are told to enforce it.

this was an out for her and I would like to be flying with a cabin crew that had some common sense.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA
It all sounds good natured to me.

The alternative is some power tripping FA breathe fire on you and we would have a very different post.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: none
You really can't tell when the FA trying to be humorous?

Really?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:15 pm

"..sometimes love don't feel like it should."
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:20 pm

Most business travelers pay extra for that
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
It would be if he had asked about the appropriate level of compensation.
Some would probably pay the airline for that service.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Allan38103

Really?
Yup. I'd say 95% chance the FA is just being friendly, 5% chance she's hitting on you.

I'd much rather encounter this than grumpiness or authoritarianism.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Allan38103

Really?
Since when did the OP not pick up on the FA's sense of humor?
chrisny2 and RooseveltL like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:33 pm

Programs: Watergate
You missed out on some fun; condolences. Next time, let the FA know what hotel you're staying at.
BeanTownBoy and am1108 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.