Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight attendant threatened to ‘spank’ me

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight attendant threatened to ‘spank’ me

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by C46
Females minding their own business!?
5 years of marriage make me doubt the possibility of that concept.
Lolz. You're just getting started .
mauve, seigex and C46 like this.

Last edited by TheDudeAbides; Sep 7, 2018 at 1:10 pm
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I'd like the FAs to threaten the CEO with a spanking if he comes up with another customer unfriendly change.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread!
Isn't it rather obvious that this incident is like a Rorschach test and the responses imputing motivations are mostly projections of the responders' psyches?
How different people are! Some see this as standard banter, others that it was banal, still others find it entirely beyond the pale of civilized discourse. Vive le difference!
Nothing really illuminating about what happened (it happened, what is there to say?), but very revealing nonetheless.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa

I might regret asking this, but what about the older gentleman’s comment was crude?

I read it as his saying the FA was acting like she was the OP’s mother (threatening to discipline him for misbehaving). Pretty inocuous.

FWIW, I’m probably about the same age as you, ORDlady, based on the ages of your children - so not a millennial but not old!

Haha--I am fine with considering myself older at 60.
I guess I base my thinking on what I would think is appropriate to say in the workplace or in a customer-centric setting.
To me (and obviously I did not hear the interaction) saying 'I guess she's your momma tonight' is not something I would expect to hear in the workplace. Probably the older gentleman meant it completely harmlessly and not in a lascivious way. Who knows. The young woman was ill-mannered for rebuking him.

As long as you are fine with a male FA joking about spanking your wife or daughter or mother---and a stranger telling your wife/daughter/mother that 'he's your daddy tonight'--then we are all good. Even if your wife/daughter/mother was embarrassed or felt awkward.

I agree that we all have our own filter. I err on the side of not making anyone feel uncomfortable at work or socially.
It is really a non-issue except that it is clear that one person's joke is another persons discomfort.
chavala likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I am personally offended. Offended that in 25 years if flying on AA not a single FA has threatened to spank me. Hissed at? Yes. Growled at? You betcha! But spanked? Not a once. What am I doing wrong?!?
Dalo and DCP2016 like this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:25 pm

Fee for Spanking

American charges $50 for a spanking.
Delta and United only change $35. If you use their credit card there is a $7 discount. The airlines are discussing giving their eliites up to 3 free spanking vouchers a year depending on elite status.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by BF263533
Delta and United only change $35. If you use their credit card there is a $7 discount. The airlines are discussing giving their eliites up to 3 free spanking vouchers a year depending on elite status.
Can it be booked via the AA Shopping site? I need it for the current bonus
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by BF263533
Do we earn EQDs for spanking purchases?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Not sure why the spank is in quotes as that was absolutely stated. What should be in quotes in 'threatened' as there was clearly no threat only playful banter.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 4:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
The FA was totally unprofessional regardless of intent.

If a guy FA said that to a woman, he’d be in hot water.
And that is why political correctness killed humour across the pond... Thank God for Monty Python
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:54 am

The ridiculous thing I find about this story is that the crew member made a slightly inappropriate comment and you took it in good jest (as any well adjusted person would), and then the other lady made out YOU were some sort of chauvinist! Sounds like she either has issues with men or her own repressed sexuality or both. Either way I wouldn't have been as gracious as you I would need to have put her straight.
windscar likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Thomas222
She smiled and made a gesture as if she were spanking me and said “Don’t get up or else it will hurt to sit back down!"
Given that the slimline seats hurt anyway, the OP should have tested that promise right then and there - now we'll never know, what she meant specifically.
Suddenly, a woman in front of us (perhaps in her early 20s) turned around and shouted, “You are both pigs, she didn’t mean it in a dirty way. She wasn’t going to give the spanking herself, she meant the captain would do it.”
That is so grotesque that I too would need a somewhat longer response time. But wouldn't interpreting the interaction as "dirty" make her the primary pig in this interaction.

I hope that the OP got some joy out of the weirdness of the sequence of events.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Moderator Note

This took a diversion into the personal, which the rules prohibit, so a couple of posts have been deleted. Let's stay away from that please.

Thank you.

-AZ
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:27 pm

Would people find the situation as funny if the genders of passenger and FA were reversed?
chavala and windscar like this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by AA_ORDlady
To me (and obviously I did not hear the interaction) saying 'I guess she's your momma tonight' is not something I would expect to hear in the workplace.
Threatening a spanking, humorously or otherwise, is not something I would expect to hear in the workplace. And it is the FA's workplace, not the passenger's, so the rules apply somewhat more to the FA. Further, since the FA has the power to get passengers arrested or thrown off the plane, the FA has a greater responsibility to set the standards.
chavala and windscar like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.