Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight attendant threatened to ‘spank’ me

Flight attendant threatened to ‘spank’ me

Old Sep 4, 18, 7:27 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1
Flight attendant threatened to ‘spank’ me

I’m guilty. I got up to pee before the fasten seatbelt sign was turned off. Regardless, it was turned off a few moments before I reached the forward lav. A female flight attendant (perhaps in her 50s) was sitting in her jump-seat and made eye contact with me, and then said, “Good thing the captain turned off that seatbelt sign, or else you’d get a spanking!” I just awkwardly smiled and then went in the lav. FWIW and perspective, I am a 34 guy and I was wearing a work suit.

Approximately 10 minutes after I returned to my seat, the seatbelt sign illuminated again followed by a standard announcement from the captain about temporary turbulence. The same FA walked down the aisle and we somehow made eye contact with me again. She smiled and made a gesture as if she were spanking me and said “Don’t get up or else it will hurt to sit back down!” She said this in a playful/non-threatening way so I just awkwardly smiled again. The FA continued down the aisle out of earshot.

A man next to me (perhaps in his 70s) made a comment about how “she’s your momma tonight”. I didn’t want to talk to him, so I just made a comment about how I’ll “behave” for the rest of the flight, and then inserted my earbuds. Suddenly, a woman in front of us (perhaps in her early 20s) turned around and shouted, “You are both pigs, she didn’t mean it in a dirty way. She wasn’t going to give the spanking herself, she meant the captain would do it.”

The older gentleman and younger woman bickered for a little bit... long enough to make me blush while pretending to listen to music. It all settled down, and the rest of the flight was uneventful. Well, at least for a flight where multiple people discussed spanking me.

Thomas222 is offline  
Old Sep 4, 18, 7:44 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Posts: 3,792
The FA was totally unprofessional regardless of intent.

If a guy FA said that to a woman, he’d be in hot water.
closecover, wrp96, chavala and 9 others like this.
ibrandsguest is offline  
Old Sep 4, 18, 7:51 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Programs: AAdvantage PP
Posts: 13,154
Was this after takeoff? AA pilots seem to forget to turn the sign off or wait nearly an hour inflight. I’ve gotten up for the lav before when there were no bumps and never threatened with a spanking. Air travel seems to bring out the weirdo factor.
MiamiAirport Formerly NY George is offline  
Old Sep 4, 18, 7:57 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: USA, PNG
Programs: American, Spirit, Air Niugini
Posts: 250
Not your average first post....
Spanish is offline  
Old Sep 4, 18, 8:05 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
Posts: 5,750
It would be if he had asked about the appropriate level of compensation.
IADCAflyer is offline  
Old Sep 4, 18, 8:40 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: JFK/LGA
Programs: AA Plt Pro/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Posts: 5,137
Would said spanking result in the assessment of a a co-pay?
pauleeepaul is offline  
Old Sep 4, 18, 8:58 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Vietnam & USA
Programs: Delta PM
Posts: 446
The only person who was inappropriate in this situation was the lady in butted in, in front of OP.

This was typical banter made in an attempt to address a problematic issue. I'm sure in recent years, the FA's have been beaten around the head and shoulders about people out of seats with FSB on.
In the past, everyone understood that when somebody has to go, they have to "go".

I'm sure the airlines don't want people injured (they pay) so FSB is on more and more and cabin crews are told to enforce it.

this was an out for her and I would like to be flying with a cabin crew that had some common sense.
wxman22 is offline  
Old Sep 4, 18, 9:06 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: YVR
Programs: AA
Posts: 515
It all sounds good natured to me.

The alternative is some power tripping FA breathe fire on you and we would have a very different post.
jhartvu, am1108, royng and 2 others like this.
theshaun is offline  
Old Sep 4, 18, 9:13 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: none
Posts: 1,541
You really can't tell when the FA trying to be humorous?

Really?
GB, C17PSGR, dodgeflyer and 12 others like this.
Allan38103 is offline  
Old Sep 4, 18, 9:15 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,119
"..sometimes love don't feel like it should."
sundrop, LadyShiva, Gerbs and 5 others like this.
SeeBuyFly is offline  
Old Sep 4, 18, 9:20 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Rolling Lakes Yacht Club
Posts: 4,630
Most business travelers pay extra for that
DataPlumber is offline  
Old Sep 4, 18, 9:20 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: TUS
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer View Post
It would be if he had asked about the appropriate level of compensation.
Some would probably pay the airline for that service.
sundrop, GTITAN, am1108 and 2 others like this.
Tim_AZ is offline  
Old Sep 4, 18, 9:37 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 203
Originally Posted by Allan38103 View Post
You really can't tell when the FA trying to be humorous?

Really?
Yup. I'd say 95% chance the FA is just being friendly, 5% chance she's hitting on you.

I'd much rather encounter this than grumpiness or authoritarianism.
JonNYC, JetAway, beachfan and 21 others like this.
mauve is offline  
Old Sep 4, 18, 9:53 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,198
Originally Posted by Allan38103 View Post
You really can't tell when the FA trying to be humorous?

Really?
Since when did the OP not pick up on the FA's sense of humor?
chrisny2 and RooseveltL like this.
no1cub17 is offline  
Old Sep 4, 18, 10:33 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: Watergate
Posts: 91
You missed out on some fun; condolences. Next time, let the FA know what hotel you're staying at.
BeanTownBoy and am1108 like this.
RichardNixon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: