Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight attendant threatened to ‘spank’ me

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight attendant threatened to ‘spank’ me

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
This thread has made me smile today and has actually restored my faith in FlyerTalk as a community. The flight attendant made a joke. Personally, I find it hilarious and think we need MORE humor and playfulness from AA staff (they're far too often dour). The social justice warrior young girl needs to grow up and learn that it's a JOKE and it's funny. I thank goodness the VAST majority of threads here "got it" and didn't devolve into "how many points and compensation is this worth."
aztimm and hurnik like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:24 pm

As for "shoe on the other foot " I once actually said "I get a blankie or you get a spankie. " to a flight attendant who laughed .
cruisr likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
"Flight attendant threatened to spank me....."

Read this and nearly choked on my beer. I was reading this thread, while having Animal House on in the background watching the scene where Kevin Bacon is getting the paddle and thought...
"Thank you ma'am may I have another?"
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by enviroian
While I completely agree this was nothing more than harmless flirtation and people are way too sensitive there is a point about the shoe on the other foot though. Seriously...if a male flight attendant said this to a female passenger the ramifications are possibly much worse of an outcome. Yes that is wrong in itself but that's they way society is today with this over the top PC crap.
Men and women are different and those that want to compare equality between them on every level are in an alternate reality. There are things women can get away with that men can't and things men can get away with that women can't. That's life and we all do a pretty good job of understanding where boundaries are.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold
First of all--OP felt embarrassed by the exchange.
I think the FA was attempting to be light-hearted. But her choice of words was poor, and a more appropriate way to jokingly admonish would be to say you would be reprimanded (or put on time-out). Was she flirting--who knows.

But--using the 'spanking' verbiage has the potential to be interpreted as sexual. That's why it is inappropriate for a business/customer situation.
I have sons the age of OP and I totally understand why he felt awkward.
The seat mate saying that 'she's your momma tonight"--that is outright piggish. And any of my 5 sons would agree with that. Not appropriate public comment amongst strangers and not particularly funny.
The female seat mate speaking up was a little excessive. But don't say piggish things in public if you don't want to get called out on it.
Go ahead and flame me. Lol.
chavala likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:56 pm

My only question, what is appropriate compensation for a good spanking??
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I remember flying across the Atlantic when I was 14. One FA came up to me, looked me up and down and said, leeringly, “You’re my kind of man!”

Sometimes it’s tough to recognize humor (if humor is intended), so some remarks just shouldn’t be made in professional settings.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
The choice is not between "fun, cool FA" vs "mean, nasty FA"
The choice is professional vs unprofessional and respect vs disrespect

I don't fly to be entertained and I certainly don't pay for business class to banter with flight attendants.
I don't expect that in a restaurant and I definitely don't want it from someone who is "primarily there for your safety"

I'd prefer that flight attendants do their jobs in a professional way and save their humor for when they're off work.
I'd prefer that other passengers mind their own business.
If I want jokes or socializing, I can get that from friends.

That's probably why I find flying JAL, CX, or QR about 10 million times more enjoyable than AA
Calchas likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I guess it was only a matter of time before the SJW's took over flights as well (as evidenced by the girl who made the comment to OP/the gentleman beside him). Time to go back to minding our own business.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by AA_ORDlady
First of all--OP felt embarrassed by the exchange.
I think the FA was attempting to be light-hearted. But her choice of words was poor, and a more appropriate way to jokingly admonish would be to say you would be reprimanded (or put on time-out).
I knew you were a parent by this point in your post. One thing I've learned over the years is that parents, especially single parents and those with young children, often forget how to talk to other adults. This results in becoming offended by things adults might say to each but not necessarily say in front of children. Not flaming, just making an observation.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
Originally Posted by Tim_AZ
This results in becoming offended by things adults might say to each but not necessarily say in front of children.
I can't think of any context when it would be appropriate for an employee to say to a customer "You're going to get a spanking."

In a nice restaurant? In McDonalds? In a store at the mall?

How about when I call the EXP line to change an itinerary? Maybe when I ask a gate agent if my upgrade will clear?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Thomas222
Suddenly, a woman in front of us (perhaps in her early 20s) turned around and shouted, “You are both pigs, she didn’t mean it in a dirty way. She wasn’t going to give the spanking herself, she meant the captain would do it.”
Classic busybody. Did she do yoga in the aisles as well?
DCP2016 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by deeruck
Absolutely, but that's just international travel, isn't it? Cultural differences have the potential to cause offence the world over.
True, but what a boring world if there were no cultural differences,
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by sombrachinesca
I can't think of any context when it would be appropriate for an employee to say to a customer "You're going to get a spanking."

In a nice restaurant? In McDonalds? In a store at the mall?

How about when I call the EXP line to change an itinerary? Maybe when I ask a gate agent if my upgrade will clear?
And I can't think of a single reason to be wound so tight. Between this and your post about preferring no one speak to you on a plane unless it is "yes sir" or "no sir" I'd say you probably need to relax a little. Professionalism comes in all kinds of wrappers and a little levity on a cramped aluminum tube hurtling through the sky is going to be appreciated by far more than not.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by sombrachinesca
The choice is not between "fun, cool FA" vs "mean, nasty FA"
The choice is professional vs unprofessional and respect vs disrespect

I don't fly to be entertained and I certainly don't pay for business class to banter with flight attendants.
I don't expect that in a restaurant and I definitely don't want it from someone who is "primarily there for your safety"

I'd prefer that flight attendants do their jobs in a professional way and save their humor for when they're off work.
I'd prefer that other passengers mind their own business.
If I want jokes or socializing, I can get that from friends.

That's probably why I find flying JAL, CX, or QR about 10 million times more enjoyable than AA
You have friends?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.