Wiki Posts
Search

Citi aa miles. Can I use with British?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Citi aa miles. Can I use with British?

Hi
i have been a American Airlines advantage holder for years. I want to use my miles to fly direct from jfk. Can I use my miles on a flight that says aa but is actually a British airline?
i called several weeks ago and the agent made it sound like impossible to use my miles. Does aa fly to Europe directly from jfk? And can I use my miles??
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Yes, you can redeem AA miles for travel on a BA flight, if award seats are available on the BA flight. There's no need to call AA; aa.com supports award bookings on BA and on a handful of other AAdvantage partners. There will be hefty cash surcharges payable for a TATL award flight on BA when redeeming AA miles.

Yes, AA does fly to several European cities, some via nonstops from JFK, others requiring a connection somewhere. Google "JFK airport wiki" and you'll see a list of all of AA's nonstop destinations from JFK.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply
the aa rep from advantage told me I have to log into the aa site to make any reservation. They made it so hard almost to discourage using my miles
what kind of fee with ba? Why is that? And how does one us aa miles and avoid fees?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sweetlow
Thanks for the reply
the aa rep from advantage told me I have to log into the aa site to make any reservation. They made it so hard almost to discourage using my miles
what kind of fee with ba? Why is that? And how does one us aa miles and avoid fees?
No, you don't have to log in to use your miles; you can call instead. But if you call in to book an award that can be booked on aa.com, you will be charged a telephone-booking fee. (You can check award availability on aa.com without logging in, but you must log in to actually book award travel on line.)

BA imposes a carrier surcharge on most of its long-haul routes. This is done to increase BA's profits. AA only collects surcharges for award travel on BA and IB; the surcharges are more modest on IB.

To avoid surcharges, do not redeem your AA miles for travel on BA or IB.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for the reply
BA charges onerous carrier imposed fees (YQ) on Awards because they can. See Avoiding YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British (& Iberia) (master thread). Read the Wikipost at the top of the page. Iberia charges YQ, but substantially less.

Also see HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance. Read the Wikipost at the top of the page.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:22 pm

Can I use my miles on a flight that says aa but is actually a British airline?
I see that no one has answered your actual question so far.

No, you cannot use your miles on a flight that says AA but is actually a British airline (i.e. a "codeshare"). If you asked the agent how to do this, he/she undoubtedly said it was impossible.

However, you CAN use your miles on a flight that says AA and is actually AA; and you can also use your miles on a flight that says BA and is actually BA. If you insist on flying BA, you will have to pay high fees, there is no way around it.

Your miles are valid not just on AA, but also on a number of partner airlines. But you must always book through aa.com or by calling AA.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Aug 11, 2018 at 9:30 pm
Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:39 am

Some research into this on your part would probably be helpful, but I'll summarize the situation for you.

British Airways will charge "fuel surcharges" on certain long-haul flights using their planes or their miles (avios). Typically, you can expect to pay about $500 per person per leg from a city in the Continental US to any city in Europe if the transatlantic part of that trip is on a BA plane, even if you're paying with AA miles. To avoid this, what you want to do is ensure that your flights are all on AA planes, or at the very least, make sure the flight over the Atlantic is on an AA plane, even if you connect in London on a BA plane to your final destination.

To quickly search for these optimal flights, do an advanced search from the AA.com main menu, select to use miles, select a date to start with (just guess something close). At the bottom of the page, in the Airline box, select American Airlines instead of All Airlines. Then click search. You'll get the same calendar search you normally get, except it will only show date availability when there is at least one option where all flights on are AA metal.

If you want to fly somewhere that AA doesn't fly to directly, but BA has flights to from London, first do a search from the US to LHR, ensure THAT flight is an AA flight, and then find a separate connection from LHR to your desired destination. Once you've found a date where both flights work, go back and repeat your search but select all airlines, and on the specific date you chose, find the connecting flight option that has the AA on the transatlantic leg. There will still be a cash component of the charge, but it will be substantially less. Coming back will be somewhat more expensive unless you can avoid British airspace on your flight back, but still less than a BA flight.

Hope that all makes sense.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
I see that no one has answered your actual question so far.

No, you cannot use your miles on a flight that says AA but is actually a British airline (i.e. a "codeshare"). If you asked the agent how to do this, he/she undoubtedly said it was impossible.

However, you CAN use your miles on a flight that says AA and is actually AA; and you can also use your miles on a flight that says BA and is actually BA. If you insist on flying BA, you will have to pay high fees, there is no way around it.

Your miles are valid not just on AA, but also on a number of partner airlines. But you must always book through aa.com or by calling AA.
This is a bit misleading as perhaps gives the impression that flights which you might see as a codeshare on a revenue fare search aren't bookable as awards.

To clarify, all BA transatlantic flights are also sold as AA codeshares and vice versa. They are all bookable with AA miles, subject to award availability of course.

The point is that when booked as an award a BA operated flight will be booked under the BA code, with the applicable BA YQ.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
This is a bit misleading as perhaps gives the impression that flights which you might see as a codeshare on a revenue fare search aren't bookable as awards..
But flights which you might see as a codeshare on a revenue fare search aren't bookable as awards.

For example AA6139 (JFK-LHR) is not bookable with miles because it is actually a BA metal flight. There's nothing "misleading" about that fact at all.

The OP has apparently been calling AA and trying to book a flight similar to AA6139. The agent has told him/her "no", and he/she is confused by that.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
But flights which you might see as a codeshare on a revenue fare search aren't bookable as awards.

For example AA6139 (JFK-LHR) is not bookable as an award because it is actually a BA metal flight. There's nothing "misleading" about that fact at all.
Well to a newbie I think it is misleading. The flight is bookable as an award, the flight number isn't.

So if you say to an agent "I see there's a flight AA6139 JFK-LHR at 7pm - can I book that as an award?", what they should say is "That's actually a BA operated flight, but yes you can book it as an award [under the BA code] if there are award seats available." It would be misleading to simply say "no, that flight is not bookable as an award."
justhere, SamOF and Beltway2A like this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:09 pm

Is the OP actually asking about BA? The OP says a British airline.

Its not very complicated to book BA on AA.com
Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aliquot
Is the OP actually asking about BA or a British airline (VS?).
I'm pretty sure that AA does not codeshare on VS flights. AA is in a joint business venture with BA, not with VS.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Hi
i have been a American Airlines advantage holder for years. I want to use my miles to fly direct from jfk. Can I use my miles on a flight that says aa but is actually a British airline?
i called several weeks ago and the agent made it sound like impossible to use my miles. Does aa fly to Europe directly from jfk? And can I use my miles??
It is very easy to use your miles. Sometimes we don't like the mileage price (flying on a Wednesday in October may require more miles than flying on a Saturday in July). The easiest way to book your ticket for an ordinary roundtrip from JFK to Europe will be through AA.com.

For example, in just a couple of minutes, I can book tickets tomorrow from JFK to LHR. Just tomorrow, as a random date, there are several options tomorrow for one way non-stop flights on British Airways for 30,000 miles plus $188 or for one way non-stop flights on American Airlines for 65,000 miles plus $5 in taxes. As others have mentioned, many of us prefer to avoid the fees British Airways charges but they do have more availability on the lower mileage tickets than American.

Keep in mind that connecting through Philadelphia or Charlotte will provide you with many more alternatives, depending on where you want to go. And, like purchasing tickets with case, spending time shopping and having flexible dates may save you miles. On the other hand, if you have little flexibility on dates, it may cost you more.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.