Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-GUA complimentary upgrade but GUA-DFW no?

Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist

Looking to book PHX-DFW-GUA_DFW_PHX over a long October weekend. Was thinking of just booking Y since J is significantly more, but can't figure out why as an EXP I would be eligible for complimentary upgrade on all segments except for the GUA-DFW return segment which says 'Contact AA for upgrade Awards'... I'm sure it must have something to do with booking class, but I'm surprised that I'm not eligible for upgrade on a 3 hour flight from Central America. GUA-DFW-GUA segments usually have plenty of open space up front, so I'm not inclined to pay a co-pay for this. Does anyone have any experience with this situation?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by kabroui
Looking to book PHX-DFW-GUA_DFW_PHX over a long October weekend. Was thinking of just booking Y since J is significantly more, but can't figure out why as an EXP I would be eligible for complimentary upgrade on all segments except for the GUA-DFW return segment which says 'Contact AA for upgrade Awards'... I'm sure it must have something to do with booking class, but I'm surprised that I'm not eligible for upgrade on a 3 hour flight from Central America. GUA-DFW-GUA segments usually have plenty of open space up front, so I'm not inclined to pay a co-pay for this. Does anyone have any experience with this situation?
Call AA and ask
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm, SPG Gold
Yes, it's a system glitch. However, I'd still call to make sure you're on the list.
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by emcat
Yes, it's a system glitch. However, I'd still call to make sure you're on the list.
Now it's showing as ????????? for type of upgrade and ?????????? for the upgrade? fields. I did call and they said it was an IT problem. Flight isn't for a month yet so I will keep monitoring. Thanks for the response!
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: CK or bust
?????? is clearly American's new way to add fun to flying today. If they simply put "Upgrade requested" or "Confirmed" you'd be on your way and we wouldn't have a thread to break up the monotony of boarding priority and lounge posts but ??????? (not just one but a whole series of question marks) keeps you engaged so that you'll keep checking your itinerary.

While the ???????? display issue is an IT problem, did the phone agent say that you were added to the upgrade list for the segment? It certainly is odd that only one segment would have that issue.

Enjoy the trip; it's a beautiful country!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.