Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

no More seat assignment first class AA136

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

no More seat assignment first class AA136

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:30 pm

I got $1000 in vouchers for being downgraded from J to Y on that flight. Don't trust the GA/airport staff to take good care of you. They'll do the minimum amount required to get rid of you without having you dragged off in cuffs.

And as for FAMs...well...they're important. After all, someone has to count the quantity and quality of urine produced on flights. It's for your safety!!!
Spiff, NPF and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by FromGVA
Well on the phone they still tell me that there is no problems but I presume that I will be downgraded . By the way do you know if I can get some compensation?
If you're downgraded you can definitely get compensation in the form of the fare difference from First to Business as well as miles for your trouble.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:14 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If you're open to an alternative routing, you should "demand" that over a downgrade to J.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I would not let this go to the airport. I'd continue to work towards a resolution, even if that means changing your plans.
Spiff likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maītre-plongeur des Muccis
IMO: “They’ll fix this at the airport” is merely a phrase used by an agent who wants to blag you off to the airport personnel, who will faff about and do what they can do to expeditiously rid themselves of you.
Spiff, AAway, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Do not, do no do not simply wait until you get to the airport. You reduce your options to whatever is available 1 to 2 hours prior to departure - significantly reducing your flexibility and increasing the ability of the airline to impose a solution.
Spiff, logicalrealist and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Am I the only person here who thinks AA’s 77W Business Class is nice enough that it doesn’t make much sense to spend the time to worry and fight for the FCL seat? If you have OW EMER, you can always get into the QF F lounge and if you have a confirmed F ticket you can probably get into AA Flagship Dining too. If the GA decides to downgrade me, I would just ask for a reasonable compensation on the spot, and work with BA later to get the fare difference back. After all, AA F isn’t THAT much better than J?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Sliver,LH Senator,Emirates Platimium
Thank you for all of you who reply
So far I only got the same answer, you will see at the airport ; I will ask them to put me on the latter BA flight .
I forgot to let you know that I start my travel in LAS.
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by FromGVA
Thank you for all of you who reply
So far I only got the same answer, you will see at the airport ; I will ask them to put me on the latter BA flight .
I forgot to let you know that I start my travel in LAS.

Just saying what others have said: If you are ok with the BA F flight - INSIST on it now, or it may well not happen by checkin at the AP.

I believe you said the flight is tomorrow: If so AA136 F appears full at this point, so zero change of getting it unless someone drops off (F0 - all seats assigned.) The BA flight only has ONE F seat, so you want to be the one to get it! (4F is open - 4E is blocked - not sure why as I don't usually fly BA.)
Spiff, wrp96 and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by Madison Guy; Aug 1, 2018 at 6:02 pm
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by shd9
If the GA decides to downgrade me, I would just ask for a reasonable compensation on the spot, and work with BA later to get the fare difference back.

I definitely wouldn't do this. BA's customer service, even for BA Gold members, is consistently terrible with the occasional bright spot. I shudder to think of the circular and endless conversations the OP would endure.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Just saying what others have said: If you are ok with the BA F flight - INSIST on it now, or it may well not happen by checkin at the AP.

I believe you said the flight is tomorrow: If so AA136 F appears full at this point, so zero change of getting it unless someone drops off (F0 - all seats assigned.) The BA flight only has ONE F seat, so you want to be the one to get it! (4F is open - 4E is blocked - not sure why as I don't usually fly BA.)
Echo this. Unfortunately, since you're not an AA Emerald, you don't have access to "EXP agents" who might be slightly more inclined to accommodate your request than the general agents. Still, I'd keep calling and asking for a supervisor. Point out that you are booked in revenue F, lost your confirmed seat assignment, and now see that the seat map is fully occupied. Once you've shown them the problem, offer your proposed solution (BA F, different routing, etc.) and politely but firmly stand your ground. If after doing so they continue to tell you to wait until the airport, thank them and try calling again.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
I do find it sad and telling that so many of us consider it reasonable that any passenger, much less a paid international F flyer (with status), should have to beg, plead, and play the hang-up-call-back game in order to stay in the cabin they paid for on the flight they paid for. Yes, I realize an air marshal's presence is outside of AA's control (Remember, Kids: They're Here for Our Safety), but the airline, as a matter of halfway-decent customer service, should be proactively trying to contact and protect the passenger as soon as a marshal overbooks a cabin.

Since the OP purchased the ticket through BA, s/he should consider calling British Airways. Either they'll move her to the BA flight or they'll at least contact AA and ask what's going on.
apeortdz, wrp96 and NPF like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by ezefllying
I do find it sad and telling that so many of us consider it reasonable that any passenger, much less a paid international F flyer (with status), should have to beg, plead, and play the hang-up-call-back game in order to stay in the cabin they paid for on the flight they paid for.
How "many of us" have replied that this is reasonable?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I appears that both F and J are sold out on AA 136, although there are a couple of unassigned seats in business.

If I had a paid F ticket, I'd ask AA to put me on AA 6179, which is the BA 388 and has 4 available F tickets.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by dkc192
Echo this. Unfortunately, since you're not an AA Emerald, you don't have access to "EXP agents" who might be slightly more inclined to accommodate your request than the general agents.
Calling AA about an existing reservation will put one through to an EXP agent, provided that the passenger’s EMD number is in the reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.