Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

no More seat assignment first class AA136

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Sliver,LH Senator,Emirates Platimium

Good Morning
I had my seat seat 1A on AA136 August 2 nd on my réservation and this morning my seat number is gone and it say that I will have a seat number at the airport .
Is it because first class is overbooked or an IT problem?
Thank you for any answer
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:48 am

It is possible they needed to take certain seats for specific reasons (eg. air marshall) and would assign seats as necessary at the airport
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
It's definitely possible you've been FAM'd (Federal Air Marshal). The best advice is to call the reservations line as soon as possible.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the answer.
well my English is not so good , so maybe I Wille try to go to LAS airport today as my journey start in LAS
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If your English is not good, then ask someone who does speak English well to join you on the call. Going out to the airport to ask about a seat assignment on a future flight is a lot of time and will not likely yield you much information.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by dantheflyingman
It's definitely possible you've been FAM'd (Federal Air Marshal). The best advice is to call the reservations line as soon as possible.
FAM's typically take aisle seats. Fairly unlikely that they would take 1A, a window seat.
RUAMKZ likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by aztimm
FAM's typically take aisle seats. Fairly unlikely that they would take 1A, a window seat.
AA136 is LAX-LHR so 1A would be an aisle (and window).
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FromGVA
Thank you for the answer.
well my English is not so good , so maybe I Wille try to go to LAS airport today as my journey start in LAS
I don't think they will be able to help you at LAS today for your flight tomorrow. They may not even be able to help you tomorrow, it will ultimately be up to the gate agents in LAX.

Assuming that the seat was taken by a Federal Air Marshall (which seems quite possible but there could be other reasons), there's a high likelihood they will try to downgrade you to business class, but they probably won't confirm that until shortly before departure when all other first class passengers have checked in. At that point it may be too late for you to do anything, although there are currently several first class seats on a BA flight LAX-LHR about 2 hours later, so you could "demand" they re-accommodate you on that flight (BA is a close partner of AA).

There is also currently a routing via Dallas that departs LAS at 12:47pm (probably a bit earlier than your original itinerary) where there are 2 seats available in first class from DFW-LHR, although looks like first class is full on the flight from LAS-DFW so you might have to sit in economy there. You could try to call and change to this flight. They might give you a hard time about rebooking proactively, because AA probably won't admit that there is a problem until it's too late to solve (other than that BA option above), they'll just keep telling you that you'll get a seat assignment at the airport (but they won't say that seat assignment will probably be in business class).

Lastly, it may be helpful to know how you purchased your seat in first class -- a regular paid ticket, a paid business class ticket with mileage/certificate upgrade, or a free award ticket. That, along with your elite status on AA or OneWorld vis-a-vis other passengers booked in F *should* impact who actually ends up getting downgraded. For example, if you have no status and are on an award or upgrade, it will likely be you. This may weigh on how hard you fight with AA to try and get someone else downgraded .

Good luck, you may need it!
jeffeverde likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
If you are unable to re-assign yourself a seat in FC, then 1 of 3 things are going to happen
  1. You get AA to move you to another flight where they can and will assign you a FC seat
  2. You persuade AA to downgrade someone else and move you to their seat
  3. You get downgraded to Business
What will almost assuredly not happen is that you show up for the flight and they have another FC seat for you. If they had a seat for you, you'd be able to assign yourself to it. Unless you're OK with option 3, you need to call AA immediately. As mentioned up-thread, how you purchased the seat will be critical.
Spiff likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: CK or bust
begréissen ze FlyerTalk!

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I don't think they will be able to help you at LAS today for your flight tomorrow. They may not even be able to help you tomorrow, it will ultimately be up to the gate agents in LAX.

Assuming that the seat was taken by a Federal Air Marshall (which seems quite possible but there could be other reasons), there's a high likelihood they will try to downgrade you to business class, but they probably won't confirm that until shortly before departure when all other first class passengers have checked in. At that point it may be too late for you to do anything, although there are currently several first class seats on a BA flight LAX-LHR about 2 hours later, so you could "demand" they re-accommodate you on that flight (BA is a close partner of AA).

There is also currently a routing via Dallas that departs LAS at 12:47pm (probably a bit earlier than your original itinerary) where there are 2 seats available in first class from DFW-LHR, although looks like first class is full on the flight from LAS-DFW so you might have to sit in economy there. You could try to call and change to this flight. They might give you a hard time about rebooking proactively, because AA probably won't admit that there is a problem until it's too late to solve (other than that BA option above), they'll just keep telling you that you'll get a seat assignment at the airport (but they won't say that seat assignment will probably be in business class).

Lastly, it may be helpful to know how you purchased your seat in first class -- a regular paid ticket, a paid business class ticket with mileage/certificate upgrade, or a free award ticket. That, along with your elite status on AA or OneWorld vis-a-vis other passengers booked in F *should* impact who actually ends up getting downgraded. For example, if you have no status and are on an award or upgrade, it will likely be you. This may weigh on how hard you fight with AA to try and get someone else downgraded .

Good luck, you may need it!
Excellent advice! Definitely don't wait to deal with this at the airport when it's really too late much of the time to be creative with other routings.

And definitely don't take a phone agent's word that "they'll work it out at the airport" - if you don't get anywhere with a phone agent, try calling again.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your answer.
it is a paid BA first class ticket .
i am gold on OW.
i did have someone on the AA line and it said that I will see by tomorrow at the airport in LAS.I will ask the agent in LAS to put me on the BA flight .
The funny thing is that for BA I am still in 1A.
I will see tomorrow but I think AA will put me in Business Class .
If my seat is not more available for me why they do not change my flight now ?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i am gold on OW.
There is no Gold on OW. The OW statuses are called Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald. This is to avoid confusion with some airlines in OW (including AA) using the term Gold for the very lowest elite level (equivalent to OW Ruby) while other airlines in OW (including BA) use the term Gold for a higher level.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Thank you for your answer.
it is a paid BA first class ticket .
i am gold on OW.
i did have someone on the AA line and it said that I will see by tomorrow at the airport in LAS.I will ask the agent in LAS to put me on the BA flight .
The funny thing is that for BA I am still in 1A.
I will see tomorrow but I think AA will put me in Business Class .
If my seat is not more available for me why they do not change my flight now ?
AA will happily downgrade you assuming that business doesn't check in full.

Good luck at the airport but options can get limited in instances as boarding time approaches so phone calls can be your friend.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Sorry but I am Emerald gold for BA
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Well on the phone they still tell me that there is no problems but I presume that I will be downgraded . By the way do you know if I can get some compensation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.